Making an Expo Trailer out of an old boat trailer

rikinwyoming

Observer
Just like the title says, I am going to attempt to make my first expo trailer/ offroad trailer out of a boat trailer I was just given for my birthday. I would appreciate any and all advice, as this is my first trailer build. I am not a stranger to fabricating however, as you will learn as we chat. I do know how to grind, weld, fabricate somewhat etc.

First the vehicle it is meant to go behind.. 1994 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 and aw4 auto tranny, 3 link suspension, full width ford 3/4 front and 1 ton rear axles, military wrap leaf springs in the back, 4.10 gearing with locked rear axle( soon to be changed to 4.88) , raised fuel tank, lots of modifications...
051401_084600.jpg

Here is a pic of the trailer, it's total length is about 16' long, with about 8' from the rear to where the bows start to curve. I am thinking of cutting it down to about 6 feet long and then framing the front for the supports and pintle hitch. I am planning to carry camping gear, food, fuel, water, and some tools. I am not planning to put a tent on the top for now.
Casper-20110706-00053.jpg

I would like to use a similar axle to what I have on the jeep for reasons of using the same rim/tire combination. I know how to weld spring perches on of course, and how to put some lift on the trailer to fit the tires. I am not familiar with any wheel adapter to change the trailer axle pattern to the 8 lug I use on the jeep.

Once again, any advice/suggestions appreciated, and if there any threads on converting boat trailers I am sorry I didn't find them with the search engine.

Rik in Wyoming out!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Thinking out loud....

I think I'd look into something on a military frame for a couple of reasons..

1) I think you're going to have to put too much time, effort and material to just bring the boat trailer where it needs to be...

2) Anything you're going to tow behind that beast better be built like a brick-*** house, and a heavier made trailer from the start will last longer with less issues

just my 2 cents...good luck with the build!

Pat

rikinwyoming

Observer
Ok, so more work on my really redneck trailer build...
Got some bracing for the frame sectioned and ready to be welded, squared and bolted the tongue in so that is ready to go. The piece of steel on the back end of the trailer is not staying, that will be boxed in, and oval led 3 way lights are going in there...When I started the build I flipped the location to bring the trailer higher up off the ground for clearing bigger tires and thusly better ground clearance. Tire next to the trailer in tehe 3rd pic is a 31x10.50x15, which is what I will be running on there. The bolt pattern on the trailer as previously mentioned is the same bolt pattern as on my 1996 XJ Cherokee, so I planned the tire rim combination to match what is going on my jeep after the 3 inch lift is put on it.

The current deck on the trailer is upside down, as I am taking it apart. I left it there so you could see the height of it. I haven't decided what exactly I am using for the deck material or if I am just going to use this deck for now, which is made of 1 inch cdx material.

trailer101520112.jpg

trailer101520113.jpg

trailer101520111.jpg

bob

Adventurer
It appears you have overlapped angle iron to the existing frame and bolted it together. Is it just an addition to a box tubing frame or are you making it box with angle.

Angle iron is the worst thing to use for a frame on a trailer. It has a tendency to bend and it does not return to form. Welding the frame would help, but it is not the best bet for a long surviving trailer. Just how long is the trailer and how long do you anticipate it being on completion. It appears quite long. It also looks like you will need to move the axle back 6 inches or more to make it tow properly, depending where most of your payload is. Normally most of the weight is in the back, fridge, water, access doors and the like. I always go 1 inch per foot of flat trailer base, behind center. Yours appears to be forward of center.

rikinwyoming

Observer
Good points bob, let me add a few of my own thoughts concerning build, budget (boy that is a laugh) etc...Currently the deck of the trailer is 6 inches behind the centerline using the axle as reference. I know that building a proper trailer you want a 60/40 weight split, with 60% being forward of the axle centerline. The deck you see on the trailer is 4'x8'. I am putting a toolbox that will run across the trailer beams in front of the deck. That box comes forward another 2 feet, and will be weighed down with heavy tools, fuel, etc. This is why the deck is as long as it is. Also factor in that I had to leave the length so my harley can fit on that deck, and from outside tire to outside tire it is 7'4''. The total trailer length including the tongue(which is adjustable btw) is currently 14'. I know that is long, but having to keep the capacity to move the harley changed the plans radically from the original deck length of 4'x6' and a much shorter front. Honestly it is more of a utility trailer that will have some light duty expo work. I am planning on building a secondary trailer just for expo, which will be constructed from better materials and will be an expo only trailer with a tent structure etc... This trailer will not have a fridge, and some of the normal amenities. Food, water, tools, is what this is designed for...
As to the angle iron, it is what I had access to and just thought stitch welding it to the frame would add additional strength.. the piece on the tail end is not staying as it is not big enough to cap off the 3x3 box tubing the trailer is made of,,, I just have it there for now to hold the squareness of the trailer until I can get some welding done...

As always, I appreciate all advice and will weigh it accordingly keeping budget, tooling, etc that I have available in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94