Anyone grind their own grain?

RU55ELL

Explorer
I bought my wife a grain mill for her birthday. One of her friends from our homeschooling group does it and gave us some flour that she ground herself. We made pancakes with it one morning and it tastes SO much better. It is also healthier and has more protein than enriched flour that you buy at the store. We bought 5lbs of wheat berries for $8 and it will make about 10lbs of flour. You do the math; it comes out cheaper than what you can buy in the store. Anyone else grinding their own grain?

taugust

Adventurer
When I was growing up, my mom used to grind wheat and make whole wheat bread on a regular basis. It was dark and heavy, and I didn't appreciate it much then, although the aroma whas great. Not sure about your math, but if you can get 10lbs of flour out of 5lbs of wheat, you've got something there.:chef::Wow1:

It sounds like the perfect complement to a dutch oven for making homemade sourdough bread. See
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/22444-A-Dutch-Oven-No-Knead-Bread-Recipe?highlight=sourdough Yum

Last edited:

RU55ELL

Explorer
The math isn't wrong. 1 cup of wheat berries makes a little over 1-3/4 cups of flour. My mom makes sourdough bread all the time but it is really fattening. Maybe that is why it is so wonderful! :D

xtatik

Explorer
The math isn't wrong. 1 cup of wheat berries makes a little over 1-3/4 cups of flour. My mom makes sourdough bread all the time but it is really fattening. Maybe that is why it is so wonderful! :D

Math is wrong. Cup is volume measure. Pound is weight measure. No comparison.
What weighs more?
A) a pound of feathers
B) a pound of lead

Nevertheless, I've thought of doing this, but the cost of a mill was prohibitive. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. How much do they run?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I cheat. I have a friend that grinds his own wheat and corn. Needless to say, I get it from him. Along with his free range eggs, great eats. Now if he would just get the smokehouse finished. Right now, I am looking at mesquite bean flour. Lots of advantages living in the country.

Expedition Leader
We grind our own wheat. We have tons of it in food storage, and rotate it.

keezer37

Explorer
Nevertheless, I've thought of doing this, but the cost of a mill was prohibitive. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. How much do they run?

Depends what you want. I had a hand crank one that vice grips the table. They run as little as $25 on Amazon and it's a solid machine. You will work for your food though. I used to grind rice to make Puto.

taugust

Adventurer
My mom makes sourdough bread all the time but it is really fattening. Maybe that is why it is so wonderful! :D

My sourdough recipe (above) has no fat in it whatsoever. Just flour, water, sourdough starter, and salt. Very simple, basic, and good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier