Really, Really, Really Big Tarp...How Would You Use It?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
My Dad gave me his old swimming pool cover, it's about 16' X 34' + with 6 straps on each side and 4 on both ends that were used to weight the cover in place. It's in very nice shape, he just wanted to get the automatic roll over type. It's a heavy PVC, blue, and weighs about 50/60 pounds.

I'd like to use it and really don't want to cut it up, but could I guess, if there was a really good use. I'd like to use it to cover the camp like a big tent, but I don't have any telephone poles (lol). Maybe lay it on the ground and curve it up and over, a patio area with a privacy wall/wind break and roof over the part of the vehicle? ....or something?

How would you use it.....or would you? :coffee:

Cody1771

Explorer
pshhh 16x34 is not a big tarp :p lol... 75x74 or 100x100 is a big tarp :D its always usefull having one big tarp. i dont know about the weather in the Ozarks but here in BC its almost always to have a large tarp to set up for a "dry zone". especially if you plan on doing any spring or winter camping

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have a surplus parachute that I use sometimes. It's round and I think it's a 24 footer.

I pull it over to cover the whole vehicle and then just run lines out to stakes all around so it's like an awning over the whole truck. Fairly good size out the sides and not as much but still enough out the front/rear. If there are trees around, I'll run lines to them instead of stakes.

Mine's blue, so it makes a nice dark shade underneath. Getting kinda worn though - I've had it around 20 years - so I might have to replace it one of these days.

I did use poles with it when I first got it - 1/2" rigid electrical conduit, 10' long with pipe flanges on both ends and the the bottom ones were screwed to 1'x1' plywood. Worked very well, but I still had to use stakes...eventually, I just stopped using the poles.

cj_products_c33697460308c27716788c3bedbde51e.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
LOL, I should have know that here with the big boys, my idea of big wouldn't be all that big....LOL, Those are HUGE! It's raining, so I won't measure it now, might be 18X36, a small inground pool...anyway

Yep, I have used chutes before, and someone stoled it! Great for shade, didn't shed all the water off, it drips and the wind liked to see if it could still fly.

Great idea on poles dwh! I'll probably have to cut it down in size, it would take alot of poles to put that thing free standing in the air.

I'm still on a trailer kick, about 26' x 2/3' could be used I guess for a pop-up.
Awnings off both sides or even over the trailer to shade it?

This stuff is the thickest I've ever seen, it's plyable and can fold okay, but it's no wally world tarp.

Guess I could strap it under and wrap the vehicle and float it across the river.....lol :snorkel:

wardrow

Adventurer
How about donating it to your local Fire Department, They me be able to use it as a salvage cover, ground floor for a MCI tent, who knows maybe use it as a slip and slide.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I only had 4 poles - two on each side of the truck just to keep it up off the truck to act as a tropical roof. Even with the poles it was tied down all around. I've never tried to use it freestanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online