2008 Chevrolet Colorado build

beags86

Adventurer
Here are some pics of the rack build. It is made from 1" square tubing. The front legs are shorter b/c they sit up on my wheel humps. Rear legs sit on floor of bed. I used legs instead of mounting to the bedrails b/c I'm not too keen on drilling into the rails. I have it secured to the factory cargo tie-downs using braided cable with a turnbuckle for tensioning. Cable is attached to the tie-downs with a mini shackle (like a recovery shackle). That way when I want to remove it I just loosen the turnbuckles, pull the shackle pin, and it is free. Still haven't sorted out what kind of floor I want to run below and in front of the tent. When everything is finalized, I plan on getting it powdercoated.

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0440-1.jpg

]

man this is great idea, i am going to copy this for sure. any chance i could get you to measure the leg height. i want to do this to carry my kayaks.

nmatcek

Adventurer
man this is great idea, i am going to copy this for sure. any chance i could get you to measure the leg height. i want to do this to carry my kayaks.

Yeah I can measure them for you. Do you have a Colorado also? Might want to make the legs taller for 'yaks. At the current height, they would not clear the roof of the truck. You could definitely hang them out the back though. When I carry my 'yak, I usually put it down in the bed with the tailgate open and put other stuff (ice chest, etc) up on the rack.

beags86

Adventurer
Yeah I can measure them for you. Do you have a Colorado also? Might want to make the legs taller for 'yaks. At the current height, they would not clear the roof of the truck. You could definitely hang them out the back though. When I carry my 'yak, I usually put it down in the bed with the tailgate open and put other stuff (ice chest, etc) up on the rack.

that would be great, me and my girl just bought a 07 4dr canyon the first of the yr. i still have my 3/4 ton but wanted to pickup a smaller truck for her to drive when it snows and shorter/light trips to the mts.

have been trying to find a nice clean way to haul 2 kayaks without mounting them on top. knew something like a ladder rack is what i wanted but i have been fighting myself to drill holes in my new truck. plus i wanted something that was easy to pull off on a sunday night.

i float around this site from time to time for off road/camping/hunting ideas. as soon as i found this thread with your rig man was i drooling. after 3 months of ownership i can't believe how much i love our little truck. it was hard to find for sure. as all the ones we would find would sell before we could look at them. and while it was tough to find one i can't believe these things dont get any credit to there off road worthiness. i am going to try my best to prove this these trucks can be nice little camping rigs/daily drivers.

i love the rtt on yours. i am going to build my rack a bit taller for the yaks but still put a shelf about where yours is for storage. wanted to get a measurement on your legs so i know if my measurement is in the right ball park as far as having the right front to back leg ratio to make sure the top is level.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Those measurements for ya.... front legs are approx 12.5", rears are 22"

Also, some updates. Had to get some new shoes. Got a stick through my sidewall on my Yokohamas out in Big Bend country. They were ordered online so no road hazard, no warranty. I was really unhappy with the tread life on the Yokos anyway so I figured it was time for a new set. I went with the Cooper Discoverer ATP in a LT285/75R16 load range E. They are less aggressive but much smoother and much more quiet. I'm very happy with them so far. Also, since my last update I got a Cobra 75 WX ST cb radio and a 3' Firestik with heavy duty spring. Great radio! There is no awkward to mount box like most CBs. Everything is included in the mic part..lcd display, volume, squelch, channel buttons, etc. Very compact and convenient. On to some pics...

IMAG0663.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

And a random pic from the trip
IMAG0641.jpg

nmatcek

Adventurer
Thanks for all the positive comments above guys ^^. Just got back from the Texas Hill Country trip with Central Overland. The new tires were great. They rode and handled really great when aired down. No crazy terrain..dirt roads, cattle guards, some mud puddles, and a few water crossings...one with some particularly soft sand. Then they were nice and smooth on the highway on the way home.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Small update but definitely an upgrade well worth the cost. Just installed some EBC Greenstuff brake pads on the front. They are not even fully bedded in yet and I can already feel the difference in the pedal. Stops better than OE and very quiet so far. Advertised as very low dust.
20120829_102137.jpg

20120829_095115.jpg

Just cleaned and lubed the rears. Shoes were fine with 40K on 'em. (yes I put the rubber boot all the way back onto the cylinder)

20120823_112145.jpg

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sweet! Great looking truck. Love the whole rack setup in the back. Nice job. :D

This last shot is pretty cool too! That weather looks pretty nasty.. hah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94