Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfort of a RTT mattress!

I also use a combination of the memory foam and supplied mattress. I did not think about putting them both inside the mattress cover, I need to try that. It is definitely a big improvement over just using the supplied mattress which I think was rather uncomfortable.
    Patrick
    '98 Jeep TJ
    '68 Modified M-416
    TRAILER BUILD

I tried sleeping on the easi-awn mattress for one night and woke up crippled. I bought a couple of REI pads (like Thermarest) which really help
    On guard till the seal is broken - Jack Daniels

2010 FJC
    2010 AT Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    But each model of tent has a different mattress, which might need different solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by wardrow View Post
    I am doing my very best here to avoid this thread from turning into a "my tent is better than yours thread" Savvy. I'd like to see a broad range of ideas people have come up with regardless of your kind of tent, heck ground campers chime in too! If you have a pic of your set up that's cool, if not no sweat.
    Yes but each tent may or may not fit every different solution. So knowing what you have and what your solution is helps determine what fits and what doesn't.

I didn't think it was coming across as a pissing contest.
    Car Camping Extraordinaire!

Cedaredge, Co., currently living at the Grand Canyon
    I currently have a Ezi-Awn 1400 series 3 rtt and find sometimes I wake up wishing it had a more comfy mattress and other times it's just fine, usally the 2nd or 3rd night is better than the 1st. Also owned a EA Globetrotter which had a thicker mattress and It was very comfortable, don't recall ever waking up stiff/sore on it. I'am going to try using a eggcrate type pad to augment the tents mattress since I have one in the garage and see if that makes a differance.

No pissing match here

Standard AutoHome Maggiolina AirLander 3" mattress.
    Sometimes it feels a little hard, sometimes not.
    I think Mike from AutoHome uses a 1.5" featherbed on top of his, I may try that.

It is fairly comfortable though, I sleep fairly well on it, maybe better than home.
    Cotton flannel sheets and a winter weight down comforter from The Company Store.

Mike sells that barrier that goes underneath the mattress too that is suppose to help some, but I am waiting to see if he can source the material locally.

Quote Originally Posted by K2ZJ View Post
    Yes but each tent may or may not fit every different solution. So knowing what you have and what your solution is helps determine what fits and what doesn't.
    That's the point I was trying to make. What works for an Autohome might not work for EeziAwn, or CampingLab, or Mombassa, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by K2ZJ View Post
    I didn't think it was coming across as a pissing contest.
    Neither did I

Great ideas coming up. Anybody use those aero beds or something else unconventional.

The guy that turned me onto the AirLander tent (he has a blue FJ Cruiser too) took out the stock AirLander mattress and replaced it with an air mattress.
    Somehow to me I would think it would be uncomfortable having a 6" high or so air bed there.

I have a queen or king size one (Intex brand from Costco) I used long ago in a huge 10 person dome tent, and when you move around on it your significant other feels it pretty much.
    To bouncy for me.

Like you the RTT and even our KK mattress was just too darn hard/firm for us. For our then Overland RTT, our then Maggiolina RTT and now our Kimberley Kamper we had a local mattress manufacturer (small two man shop), Reno Mattress, make us mattresses that were/are worth it to us. No regrets.

Before moving on to a custom mattress we tried memory foam but its best if temps are above about 65*F. We tried one in the Overland the weekend we happened to be at Coyote Flats, SW of Bishop CA, when the temps dropped into the upper teens; it turned literally brick hard. Let's just say we didn't do that again

For the trips when its just me, my dog Sieg and the Land Cruiser without KK in tow, I use an Exped DAM 9 (Down Air Mattress) and its da bomb. Plush, quick to inflate (especially with my OBA) and compact when its travel time.

Oh yeah...five ten and two bills.
    Last edited by spressomon; 07-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    1999 Toyota 100-Series Land Cruiser: Adventure rig
    2009 Kimberly Sports RV: Sold
    2006 Adventure Trailers Horizon: Sold

I tried the memory foam (2" thick) It worked OK, but really sucked up the moisture, and took up enough space that I had to remove the bedding and pillows to close the RTT.

I tried an air mattress both under and on top of the RTT mattress.

On top was a no go-got way to cold when the temps dropped. Under worked OK, but as mentioned, kind of bouncy.

I'm a disabled Vet, with back and hip injuries. I tend to toss/turn/flop/roll around quite a bit at night. Much to the dismay of my wife while using the air mattress.

Final solution? Picked up 2 self inflating back packing mattresses, one for each side.

Depending on how I feel, I can adjust the self inflating mattress to different levels simply by opening the cap.

With these slid under the RTT mattress, the set up has been working great.

The best part is, I can still close the RTT with the bedding inside.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast