Montero vs Montero Sport

A&F

Montero vs Montero Sport

My Goals –
Medium Size Truck, capable of hauling smaller trailers with home construction material
Capable of surviving Silver Lake dunes and out west camping adventures in mild terrain
Higher than average resistance to rust (I live in Northern Indiana)
>15mpg, let’s face it, gas is only going to get more expensive

Why a Montero/Sport?
Cost. Being Mitsubishis these trucks do not commend the fan-based pricing of Toyota and many Domestic trucks
Condition, these trucks have spent most their days as Suburban Mall queens, additional, they do not exhibit the extensive rust issues found on many ‘Yodas and Domestics I see.

So is there a reason to get one over the other? I’m looking at 3.5l Gen II Monteros as well as early Montero Sports. I’m told the Montero Sport runs on the exact same chassis as the Montero and even has the same engine options, both are 107in wheel base, while the regular Montero has a body 10 inches larger.

Is there a less Obvious difference I’m over looking, like gearing, locking hub availability ect?

Also, I’ve seen it mentioned that a Montero will fit up a 33” tire stock, is this true? Is it true for the Montero Sport as well?

Thanks in advanced.

Engineer Guy

A Happy 3 Timer

I can offer a few insights, even though I've not tricked out my 2000 Sport much...

After an '84 2 Door and '90 2 Door, I got a 'loaded' 3.5 L Sport. Very happy with it. Almost 200k miles now, and just had my trusted Shop do a full Tranny Rebuild, and do some Firewall-end, Engine Cam seal leaks that were not critical. Engine Oil hit the Exhaust, and I could smell it ONLY when backing in our sloped Driveway. No visible drips on the Driveway. The Shop Mgr. was surprised at how much zip my Sport had; still Stock.

It's spec'd to tow 5k lbs. While building our Solar Retirement House, I hauled all kinda guano to the W. Slope of CO, as it's called, and the Sport did well. One maxed-out Load of Windows/Doors in my 5' x 9', 3,500 lb. Axle Utility Trailer w/Electric Brakes was really a workout, but went fine.

I just picked up a used 15' Travel Trailer, and it probably maxes out near 4k lbs. w/full Water Tank; Tool Boxes; and potable Water Jerry Cans inside. Yah, it's slow going on Hills, but I use the 4 spd. Auto like a Manual for Engine Braking, or for avoiding Tranny 'hunting' on Vail Pass @ 10,600' while locked into 3rd. I wind out to >4k RPMs w/AC going on Interstate climbs @ 65 MPH [sans Trailer]. No issues. That said, I had the Tranny Pan replaced/upsized under Warranty a few Years into my ownership. The Tranny overheated non-destructively while Towing on Vail. Turns out it was 'undersized' OEM, and the Factory owned up to it n/c.

I put on a Tekonsha Digital Brake Controller and Rear in-Spring Inflatable Air Shocks. I just put on Load Range E Big O's cuz that's what they had. Nice running, actually. I 4W some, but no Rock Crawling.

In my many Int'l Biz Travels, I learned how widely-used the 3.5 L Engine is in Japan on small Delivery Trucks that fit their Roads. The Engine has been 'wrung out' very well. I like the unchanged Body style cuz it makes used Parts access reasonable. Original Alt., Water Pump; A/C Compressor; and Power Steering/Brake Unit. Timing Belts, etc., every 60k miles or earlier.

The 4WD Switch is now 'iffy', and I had a prior one replaced on Aftermarket Warranty. Mitsi put it in a 'weak' location. I listen for/feel the Front Diff engage, so I know when I'm in 4WD. No biggie. I like Manual 4WD [never did get around to Manual Front Hubs].

As posted recently by me, the A/C could be better. I insulated my Cold Line to the Core and wrapped it in Aluminum Foil. My Neighbor's 3.0 L Sport has colder A/C. The Cold Line 'punches' right through her Firewall in a more direct run, causing colder Fluid at the Core, I suspect... I may add a Plexi rear barrier some day - just behind the Rear Seat - to reduce the volume being cooled. Physics 101 suggests that smaller volume will cool better, given A/C cooling capacity 'x'.

I didn't care for the Fascia and 'Transformer'-looking 'stuff' slapped on the full-size 2000 Montero. Also, too much Vehicle for me. I've Boondocked in my Sport. It was just the right size for snoozing behind the Passenger Seat, IF that Seat was pushed forward a bit.

On another Forum years ago, I believe Gents were going up to 33' Wheels. The Wheel Well space appears to be there; I haven't considered it.

The only Rust is a VERY slight bit, just above the Rear Hatch Glass. Nothing else...

I work my Sport 'fairly' hard. I don't Cross Dress, so I'm no Mall Queen. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I don't believe the chassis is the same between a sport and a full sized montero unless you're talking about the early 2 door montero's sometimes called Montero Sports.

The sport is based on the Mitsu pickup sold overseas only while the Montero has it's own chassis (Pajero).

Yes a 33" tire will fit a gen II Montero w/out a lift although there may be some slight rubbing depending on the wheel offset and tire width.

IIRC, a 33" tire will not fit in a sport without a lift of some kind or trimming of but a 32 should.

As for the engine being reliable it is. The only real issue are the valve guide seals which wear prematurely IMHO and almost all will develop this issue resulting in grey/dark smoke during a cold start or after a long idle.

I'd also recommend driving both since the driving position is definitely different between Montero's and Montero Sports. Montero Seats are +14" from the floor while sport seats are ~8" from the floor (didn't exactly measure it but you get the idea). That means a Montero will seat you like a truck and the sport will feel like you're in a car.

HTH.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
My mother owned a 1997 Montero Sport for 10 problem-free years. The reliability was great until about 150,000 when she lost a head gasket. Other than that, it was flawless. As for rust, the vehicle endured 10 salt-laden winters in Minnesota and, other than the standard rock chips, it was rust-free. I always liked the vehicle.
-Andy

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My mother owned a 1997 Montero Sport for 10 problem-free years. The reliability was great until about 150,000 when she lost a head gasket. Other than that, it was flawless. As for rust, the vehicle endured 10 salt-laden winters in Minnesota and, other than the standard rock chips, it was rust-free. I always liked the vehicle.
-Andy

Andy,

What I've found problematic on one of my Mitsu v6 engines that I overheated in a similar fashion is the radiator accumulates calcium deposits (wasn't using distilled water) which restricts coolant flow and reduces cooling efficiency.

Also, the valve guide seals are a common wear item and if you're not careful you'll burn oil when idling for extended periods (bumper to bumper traffic) and you'll also see a cloud of smoke when you first start a cold engine.

Otherwise the engines have been pretty good.:ylsmoke:

Madmaxwell87

Observer
I'm going to bring this back instead of starting a whole new thread. I am also debating a montero vs a sport. Years would be 97-99 for Sport and 96-99 for Montero. It would be a DD with snow, camping, fire trails, dunes, and desert driving (90% city, 8% highway, 2% off road).

From my research the Montero weighs a little more, has more occupant room (mainly in second row leg room), has a good deal more power than the CA spec Sport, and has a good 50-60 miles more range.

The Sport is lighter, has more front seat room, is shorter in length and height (important as I live and drive around big cities), has much more cargo volume and length to seat 1 (good for taking the wife and I camping with the rear loaded up and isn't too far behind Montero for volume and length to seat 2), and would cost a little less per year to drive with my driving.

I know the Montero can come with a locker and can fit 33's stock instead of the 32's for the sport but I would probably only put 31s on either and won't be doing enough hard core off roading to need a locker. My wife has a modern 3 row awd suv so I don't need the Montero's 3rd row. The sports are much more plentiful and cheaper so that leaves more money for maintenance and mods (mainly just a nice set of tires, tint, stereo, seat covers).

It feels like the Sport is the better option but I don't want to come to the conclusion in a year or two that I messed up and needed the full size. So, anything obvious I'm missing in my assessment?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I know but it's also 3.0 only (unless you find a rare 99 limited) and leaf sprung in the rear. It also has poor crash test ratings.

Really it sounds like an awd car would work well.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
I chose those years mainly for the simplicity and load capacity of leaf springs. Realistically any sport that is in decent condition and the right miles would work. However if I were to get a newer 3.5l then it'd make more sense to just get the true Montero IMO.

I have looked into something like a subaru forester but I like having some added height in the driving position, not having to lift to fit a small all terrain, and just a personal preference for a SUV.

Eric M

Adventurer
If you aren't worried about the locker there's no reason to get the older one. The 3.5L has significantly more power than the 3.0L and the coil springs will help off road suspension travel. There's no increased load capacity afforded by leaf springs, only increased longevity.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
The height of a full-size Montero is a non-issue. You'll get in and out of parking garages, drive thru's, etc without a problem. Unless you're planning on lifting it 3+ inches and putting 35's on it, I seriously doubt you'll have any issues with the height.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
When my Montero was 7' tall i would scrape going into parking garages and under certain drive up banks (and Filibertos) at which point i would just let the bar bounce over the top of the truck or actually squish the suspension to get under the garage opening (at the Asian Market). This was in my fullsize Montero on 5" of lift and 35's so you'd have a hard time getting a Sport that tall or a Gen 3 for that matter.
On the Montero vs Sport topic, the Sport frame and components are thinner material, the body is thinner and less rigid. When you chop on Sports and Mighty Max trucks you notice the thinner gauge metals and less layers VS Montero. Having said that, these trucks are more on par with their equivalent 4Runner and Hilux and by no means weak There's just no comparison for a Montero.

Unrelated to this topic, did anyone see the teaser shots of the 3rd Gen Sport Mitsubishi released this week. That's gonna be an overlanding BEAST, hope we get it stateside. If we get the Triton based Sport/Challenger I will be ordering one to replace my long standing '99 Montero, It is more of a successor to the Gen 2/2.5 for anyone into these models.

Eric M

Adventurer
I don't agree with your assessment about it being 'more a successor to the Gen 2', but I do agree that it looks awesome. I can see they're trying to go more upmarket with it, I just hope the engines are up to par if we get it in the US. Oh, and that it's called something else.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94