Raptors having frame issues

Patman

Explorer
You act like a single shear mount can be a problem given a proper flogging. .

Looks double shear to me. Pretty clean way to fit it under the stock bed. Tube looks to go from the outside down to the frame, effectively triangulating the upper shock mount. Bend that, and you've got bigger problems.

Still sucks to have to spend money to upgrade the stuff you paid extra for to be "upgraded" from the factory, just to not break doing the stuff it was "designed" for, just sayin'.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Looks double shear to me. Pretty clean way to fit it under the stock bed. Tube looks to go from the outside down to the frame, effectively triangulating the upper shock mount. Bend that, and you've got bigger problems.

Still sucks to have to spend money to upgrade the stuff you paid extra for to be "upgraded" from the factory, just to not break doing the stuff it was "designed" for, just sayin'.

Well that's what I get for posting from my iPhone. I didn't notice the tube on the outward "Mount". I see it now that you mentioned it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Jeep Rubicon owners buy their rig and know that they'll still have plenty to do before hitting the trail full-on.

The target demographic for the Raptor isn't an older, mature crowd with years of offroad experience. It's a younger crowd that was expecting turn-key xxxxxxtreme performanz.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Jeep Rubicon owners buy their rig and know that they'll still have plenty to do before hitting the trail full-on.

The target demographic for the Raptor isn't an older, mature crowd with years of offroad experience. It's a younger crowd that was expecting turn-key xxxxxxtreme performanz.

this - anything else is idiocy.

bldeagle10

Explorer
i think the key here, like with every other vehicle owned, you need to learn your vehicles limits safely, and only when you are prepared to upgrade/fix the issues, should you push those limits. limits should only be pushed in testing. the you shouldnt drive an off road vehicle at its limits every time you are out, the limit is there so you can drive moderately and when introduced to an extreme situation you can face it with confidence or the knowledge that your rig may have issues afterward. every car ive owned i know how far it could be pushed and when i need to take it easy.

but i agree, the advertising is more towards the younger, less experienced crowd. the only people ive heard in person saying they want a raptor are my younger friends...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Apparently all the hubbub is limited mostly to a group of Raptor owners on the Raptor Forums that had a get together at an Off Road Race Track. What could possibly go wrong?

I think all the clues are all out there. It's hard to blame the truck IMO. But at least we know where to add steel and damping now, before we decide to drive like nutters.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
According to RaptorForumz members who were in attendance at the event in question (via Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/5820104/are-ford-raptor-frames-too-weak-for-off+roading)

"While it was not a challenging route we took, we caught quite a bit of air, jumped the road, hit numerous G-Outs at faster than anything sensible, hit speeds off road in excess of 125mph (I did)[...]"

That sounds like abuse to me, on anything short of a prepared trophy truck.

KaiserM715

Adventurer
There is one very vocal owner who went on this trip who is pushing all of the publicity. Ford has denied his warranty claim as "abuse" and he is going to do whatever he can to get back at them by claiming a "design flaw". Others who went on this admit that they over-drove the trucks. On this trip, there was lots of other carnage: one truck bent BOTH front spindles, blown power steering pumps, etc. This group was running at speeds of 80+ mph for quite a bit of the trip and did not have GPS or any notes of obstacles. There is video out there of guys cruising along and high speed and are surprised by hitting cattle guards and a "kicker" (where a lot the "frame bending" occurred). The root cause is simply going way too fast on unknown terrain - a recipe for disaster every time. There are only a handful of folks who have this issue and the vast majority of them were on this trip. Every vehicle has its limit and these guys found it for the Raptor. It is NOT A TROPHY TRUCK.

Here is what the Raptor Supplement says (emphasis added is mine):
"WARNING: Off-roading can be extremely dangerous and carries inherent risks that may not be preventable even with the best precautions. Ford strongly recommends driving within your ability and taking every safety precaution, including those found here and at other off-road driving organizations such as the Best in the Desert Racing (www.bitd.com) and SCORE International Off Road Racing."

"...High speed off-roading presents a unique challenge, but extra care and caution should be taken before engaging in this type of driving. If you plan on using the truck for severe, high speed off-road use, the following is recommended:
• Equip your truck with the safety equipment used for the Stock-Full Class as defined in the rule books for the Best in the Desert Racing (www.bitd.com) and SCORE International Off Road Racing (www.score-international.com).
• Use personal safety equipment including a SNELL SA certified helmet and approved neck restraint device.
• Before venturing off-road in unfamiliar areas at high speeds, do a low speed reconnaissance run (“prerun”) to become aware of any obstacles that you will encounter.
[Snip]
•Build up speed slowly. Initially, drive at a pace which allows ample time to fully assess the terrain around you and to understand how the vehicle is responding to both the terrain and driver inputs. Increase pace as comfort increases while always being mindful of how the vehicle is responding to various events at different speeds.
•Also remember to "drive what you can see". This refers to not driving faster than you are able to negotiate unforeseen upcoming obstacles. This could refer to obstacles over a brow, in a ravine, in brush, in dusty conditions, and in the darkness among others."

Warranty info:
"Damage to skid plates, shock guards, running boards and exterior finishes as well as bent, cracked or broken body, frame and chassis components may not be covered by warranty."

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
There is one very vocal owner who went on this trip who is pushing all of the publicity. Ford has denied his warranty claim as "abuse" and he is going to do whatever he can to get back at them by claiming a "design flaw". Others who went on this admit that they over-drove the trucks. On this trip, there was lots of other carnage: one truck bent BOTH front spindles, blown power steering pumps, etc. This group was running at speeds of 80+ mph for quite a bit of the trip and did not have GPS or any notes of obstacles. There is video out there of guys cruising along and high speed and are surprised by hitting cattle guards and a "kicker" (where a lot the "frame bending" occurred). The root cause is simply going way too fast on unknown terrain - a recipe for disaster every time. There are only a handful of folks who have this issue and the vast majority of them were on this trip. Every vehicle has its limit and these guys found it for the Raptor. It is NOT A TROPHY TRUCK.

Here is what the Raptor Supplement says (emphasis added is mine):
"WARNING: Off-roading can be extremely dangerous and carries inherent risks that may not be preventable even with the best precautions. Ford strongly recommends driving within your ability and taking every safety precaution, including those found here and at other off-road driving organizations such as the Best in the Desert Racing (www.bitd.com) and SCORE International Off Road Racing."

"...High speed off-roading presents a unique challenge, but extra care and caution should be taken before engaging in this type of driving. If you plan on using the truck for severe, high speed off-road use, the following is recommended:
• Equip your truck with the safety equipment used for the Stock-Full Class as defined in the rule books for the Best in the Desert Racing (www.bitd.com) and SCORE International Off Road Racing (www.score-international.com).
• Use personal safety equipment including a SNELL SA certified helmet and approved neck restraint device.
• Before venturing off-road in unfamiliar areas at high speeds, do a low speed reconnaissance run (“prerun”) to become aware of any obstacles that you will encounter.
[Snip]
•Build up speed slowly. Initially, drive at a pace which allows ample time to fully assess the terrain around you and to understand how the vehicle is responding to both the terrain and driver inputs. Increase pace as comfort increases while always being mindful of how the vehicle is responding to various events at different speeds.
•Also remember to "drive what you can see". This refers to not driving faster than you are able to negotiate unforeseen upcoming obstacles. This could refer to obstacles over a brow, in a ravine, in brush, in dusty conditions, and in the darkness among others."

Warranty info:
"Damage to skid plates, shock guards, running boards and exterior finishes as well as bent, cracked or broken body, frame and chassis components may not be covered by warranty."
That makes too much sense and isn't xxxxtreeeem at all.

I think Ford should tone down the commercials anyhow. That's all the demographic is paying attention to.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I was wrong about strengthening the frame, DEAD wrong. Bad idea, do not weld up plates to the frame.

If the frame is strengthened, but the rest of the truck is stock, an impact that would normally bend the frame would cause the truck to lose control, crash, and burst into flames killing many innocent kittens.

The head of SVT just finished an interview. He puts out a very logical argument to what is going on and why. He deos make a good point, the trucks were over driven which caused serious damage, but they driver was able to maintain control of the vehicle quite well, and the Raptor did survive. 8 hours on a hydraulic frame alighner for repairs is a whole lot better than wipeing out and rolling at 100+ mph.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

texasguy

an impact that would normally bend the frame would cause the truck to lose control, crash, and burst into flames killing many innocent kittens.

I read nothing in the ford disclaimer about ensuring all kittens nearby be flame-retardant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz