Restrictions of driving a truck in North America

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
In the USA I'm certain nobody would know either way. A US traffic cop will have no idea what the letters on your license entitle you to, and most likely wont care.

I dont remember whether California CHP has them, but in NY, there are State Police units driving the expressways, solely dedicated to stopping, inspecting, and ticketing (if needed), commercial, heavy, and even light/passenger, trailered vehicles right there along the expressway...I believe they even have portable scales....So while driving rural state roads, or inner city surface streets, you may get an officer that doesnt know the ins-and outs of the regulations, driving the expressways is another matter.

Joe917

Explorer
https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewD...tdsg_no=XI~B~1&chapter=11&Temp=mtdsg5&lang=en
Read it if you like but basically the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic states that if you are licensed to drive your vehicle in your home country you are legal to drive in any of the signatory countries. The same goes for the vehicle. An international drivers permit may help in some countries.
By the way in Ontario you can drive a motor home up to 75' long total length including up to 2 trailers, up to 11000kg on your standard car license! If it has air brakes you do need an air brake endorsement.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is a real thread necro!

Anyways, the thing I have to keep remember is that even though a Mitsubishi Fuso is a medium duty truck, my vehicle is a House Car (the North Carolina version of an RV) and is legally treated as a "very very big car" not a "truck"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz