Help a guy out...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes it was :)

spressomon said:
Not to hijack...oh well: Redline, it was great to meet you and your 'wife'...and it was great to have another 2M to communicate with even though it took me awhile to use the right mike ;-)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm sure 24HOURSOFNEVADA will tell you himself, but his girlfriend has a new Limited 4Runner, but modifying it is not part of her plan for her new 'car'.

I think he has seen pictures of the ARB 4Runner, but even better he is familiar with my '06 V8 4Runner which is getting pretty set-up (lift, tires, skids, sliders, bumper, etc.). Though I'm loving my 4Runner, the 4Runners seem lower than the new Tacomas, before and after a lift.

I think all four rigs are potentially very good choices, it just boils down the the specific criteria and personal preference.

P.S. I love my 4.7L V8 too :)

calamaridog said:
I'm wondering why you aren't thinking about the 4runner as well as the Tacoma?

I would get a 4runner with the v8 and call it a day. Did you ever see the ARB 4runner that Scott Brady was driving around? That thing was sweet. The 4.0 is cool too, but I'm a big fan of the 4.7.

The 4runner and Tacoma have better suspension options too, although I'm dying to see the 2.0 Fox install on the 100 series.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Ah yes...It's true that she has an 07 4runner. Redline is also true in stating it's a hands off rig. It's the "Nordstrom Express." No joke! I am going to go test drive a 100 series (lexus version) on thursday. we'll see what happens.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Oh, a test drive, you are getting serious. Battle Born Cruisers may have a couple new members soon.

24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Ah yes...It's true that she has an 07 4runner. Redline is also true in stating it's a hands off rig. It's the "Nordstrom Express." No joke! I am going to go test drive a 100 series (lexus version) on thursday. we'll see what happens.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
16-in. wheels?

Do both the UZJ100 and FJ80s use 16-in wheels?

If so I think that's good! Love my sweet-sixteens.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
100 series uses the same 5 lug bolt pattern as the new Tundra. 16, 17, and 18 inch wheels have been offered at various times.

Honestly, I would skip the Lexus and AHC suspension, but that is just me.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What is the AHC suspension? Sounds like maybe 'air', or something not as easily modified with a simple lift.

calamaridog said:
100 series uses the same 5 lug bolt pattern as the new Tundra. 16, 17, and 18 inch wheels have been offered at various times.

Honestly, I would skip the Lexus and AHC suspension, but that is just me.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
Redline said:
What is the AHC suspension? Sounds like maybe 'air', or something not as easily modified with a simple lift.

Adjustable Height Control. Some like it because you can push a button and get a 3" lift out of the back of your vehicle (Ned Bacon did this same thing on the TrailLex LX470) but others do not like it because it is more complicated and uses hydraulics. Slee has a kit to retrofit normal coil springs and shocks for those who want to ditch the AHC.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Redline said:

Adjustable Height Control/Suspension. It's a touch of a functional mystery as to it's full purpose other than the obvious, but is a more complicated system that many people remove.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
AHC can be worked with but I prefer not having to deal with it. This vehicle is complicated enough so I prefer simple torsion bars, coil springs, and shocks.

I also don't care for the lower body molding and such.

IF you get an AHC vehicle, you will need to replace the Lexus torsion bars with LC torsion bars if you want to run a bumper and winch.

The Lexus did come with a nicer stereo and better leather I believe;)

Another note, the 98-99 Lexus offered a rear LSD versus the 98-99 LC having a rear e-locker.

fj803fe

calamaridog said:
IF you get an AHC vehicle, you will need to replace the Lexus torsion bars with LC torsion bars if you want to run a bumper and winch.

?????? Are the LX torsions not more rigid/heavier than the LCs.

I've been looking at my extra LC set and the LXs and I am pretty darn sure the LXs are beafier.

I guess either way, I'd just get a set of OMEs to go heavier.

fj803fe

pskhaat said:
Adjustable Height Control/Suspension. It's a touch of a functional mystery as to it's full purpose other than the obvious, but is a more complicated system that many people remove.

Its so old people like you can get into and out of the vehicle with ease. Or another perfect example would be Bim.

If it were off-road related it would have gone into the LC not the LX :)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
fj803fe said:
?????? Are the LX torsions not more rigid/heavier than the LCs.

I've been looking at my extra LC set and the LXs and I am pretty darn sure the LXs are beafier.

I guess either way, I'd just get a set of OMEs to go heavier.

The AHC equipped 470's feature lighter (smaller diameter) t-bars than the LC/non AHC models IIRC.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys...You read my mind about the AHC I was going to ask. I test drove a 99 LC and a 2000 lex. I just need the guy to pull the plug on my Unlimited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke