Help a guy out...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
I just need the guy to pull the plug on my Unlimited.

Trigger. I think you mean trigger. I hope you mean trigger.

:box:

"Oh! Tentacles. N - T." -John Cusack, "Better Off Dead"

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey Jereme,

Sorry it took so long for me to post, I just found the thread. I know there are a lot of fans for the Tacomas, but after owning both an 80 and now a Taco, I would shoot for an LC. The Taco is nice because of the mileage and with the manual tranny, you can get it moving pretty nicely. The ride is nowhere near as nice as an OME sprung 80. My LX450 got you to the end of the day feeling like you had just driven across town, whereas the Taco, feels like you just did what you did. Now in all fairness, I haven't put any aftermarket spring/shocks on it, but stock for stock, LC all the way.

I haven't ridden in Dan's 100, but we have followed each other through some amazing country and negatives about a 100 are few. That thing rocks, of course the driver may have something to do with it, he can drive the crap out of it with the trailer in tow.

Good luck on your choice, it is a very difficult one, I'm still not sure I'm done deciding.:)

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Thanks Jack
I think I have narrowed it down to a 100 series..."Think" being the key word.

I know exactly what you mean. Someday I hope to have the perfect vehicle, even if I have to build it.

Did your Jeep sell?

Jack

spressomon

Expedition Leader
It'd be a slam dunk if the 100 could be had with the new 4.7TD...or maybe that new small block Duramax! Oh yeah...it'd have to have the 5spd...then I'd be content....

......for a while :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Thanks Jack
I think I have narrowed it down to a 100 series..."Think" being the key word.

If you buy the Lexus you will probably want LC torsion bars to support the added weight of a bumper and winch.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
24HOURS mentions "overland" type of four wheeling. Being 2007, to me the choice is easy. If it were 2000 then my answer would be different.

In 2007 we now know that the only MAIN advantage the 80-series has is a small increase in trail running capability due to smaller size and some the solid axle. We didn't know that back in 2000. Today, everything you need to build a 100 for this purpose is available. Combine that with the fact the the 100 is improved in almost every other way and it's an easy recommendation for me.

I'm sorry, but there's no way to make an 80 "work/drive" like a 100 on "overland" or long distance touring. I blamed my '93's cloth seats, non-adjustable (not power) seats, ugly dash, rattles, etc for being so subpar to my 100-series. I sold it and bought a '97 LX450 thinking the improvements would make it a close-to-100 driver's vehicle. I spent $13K+ in LX450 mods and the end result is that even the LX450 is not near the vehicle that my 100 is.

The 80/LX does excel a tad on the crazy trails especially ones where more lift is required (rare). Everywhere else, it's old technology, outdated (and feels it), though IN DEFENSE of the 80s, ONLY a 100 owner might dog it so as I have.

My advice: If you think you favor the 80-series, DO NOT go on a long road trip in a 100 and never take a modified 100 (something like mine) on a difficult trail (even with other 80s). If you get used to a 100 and see what it can do you'll never settle for an 80 except in places you need to have one (1 in a 100 trails and for short trips).

rusty_tlc

Explorer
After seeing his RHD diesel 45 I'd say throw a pop-up camper on that and be done with it. That is one sweet 45.

Wait what am I saying!!!:oops:

He should trade me straight across for my 1998 100, yeah that's the ticket. He gets a nice family rig and I get a so-so expedition rig. Hell I even installed an ARB in the front diff for him already.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Both the 80 and 100 are excellent vehicles. But the 80 was specifically designed for hardcore use in overseas markets, where they would likely never see paved roads, or maintenance and would require extreme duty for most of it’s life.

For the U.S. spec market, Toyota slapped on some leather and generally imported the same thing they sold overseas, which means we got all the same heavy duty gear. Including on many models, lockers, full floating axles, the same heavy duty engine, tranny, duel fan belts, metal air cleaner, catch cans, raised diff breathers, etc, etc.

When the 100 came out, it was definitely toned down at least somewhat, including for the overseas markets, but Toyota recognized that there was still a need for vehicle that was heavier duty than the new 100, which is why they slapped 100 bodies on 80 series chassis and continued to sell them for years and I think still do. They even continued production of the 80 series 1FZ through today, where extreme engine durability really counted.

If the 100 series was superior in all aspects, the entire 80 series would have died in 1997, but it didn’t. Only the body died (at least in most countries). The rest still carries on today in the markets that need the ultimate vehicle.

Toyota even went a step further and deleting the full floating rear axle and included a weak front diff for early models and then deleting the rear locker after only a few years. Why they did this, I don't understand.

What I do like about the 100s that I’ve driven is that they definitely have more power, much better brakes and I think handle better on road. But to me, solid axles have a distinct advantage off road, and more than just extreme trails. I’ve have passengers ask me when we’re going to go over an obstacle and I have to tell them to look behind them…we already did. They were expecting to be jerked side to side like they would have been in any IFS vehicle. Solid axles making driving over even the most modest obsticles much safer and easier, in my IFS and SA experience.

That all said, I think both rigs are excellent. The 100 is definitely more luxurious and probably more comfortable, but for the ultimate durability, it’s hard to argue against the 80.

For most mere mortals, like me, the real clincher is economics. Even older 100s are spendy, especially by the time you get done with modifications. You can buy and completely build an 80 for about the same or less than a good used 100.

:safari-rig:

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Okay dudes, it's time for me to chime in on the bad of the 100 (which is honestly hard to do). Sorry if this is boring info, but I think it's really relevant to what we do and I just love theory of engine design:
  • The 2UZ-FE's torque curve is too high and too flat. You'll never notice this unless you're in some slop or more likely sand where it takes some gearing and higher RPMs to get into the non-stalling arena. The 1FZ-FE's torque peaks at 3000-3200 RPM (IIRC) and though that's still quite high (3400-3600 on the 2UZ-FE?) I think it's shape is a little more peaky and you can feel it on the same road. Other side of the coin: much better on the highway, and if you need to punch it, 4500 RPMs will get you in the passing lane against your seat.
  • The Hundy's braking system is biased to the rear during light/normal braking. This in my own personal experience can cause some interesting slick/ice road downhill braking conditions. With more pedal force the fronts then have the bias.
  • The Hundy's dirty squirty (windshield washer) reservoir bottle is mounted outside of the warm engine compartment; in the front wheel well. I've experienced multiple washer system freezes from the frozen road slop.
  • Hundy doesn't have cyclonic air filter, and it's oil filter can only be accessed from crawling below.
  • Starter reasonably inaccessible.
  • 3rd row seats don't fold up as well as the 80's, almost like it was an afterthought.
But: the 100 is the new Toyota platform, seriously. It's got a great body design, is super-comfortable, very road-trip friendly. Would I do a 100? As I said, absolutely, but it's worth being aware of the downfalls.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Brian894x4 said:
Both the 80 and 100 are excellent vehicles. But the 80 was specifically designed for hardcore use in overseas markets, where they would likely never see paved roads, or maintenance and would require extreme duty for most of it’s life.

For the U.S. spec market, Toyota slapped on some leather and generally imported the same thing they sold overseas, which means we got all the same heavy duty gear. Including on many models, lockers, full floating axles, the same heavy duty engine, tranny, duel fan belts, metal air cleaner, catch cans, raised diff breathers, etc, etc.

When the 100 came out, it was definitely toned down at least somewhat, including for the overseas markets, but Toyota recognized that there was still a need for vehicle that was heavier duty than the new 100, which is why they slapped 100 bodies on 80 series chassis and continued to sell them for years and I think still do. They even continued production of the 80 series 1FZ through today, where extreme engine durability really counted.

If the 100 series was superior in all aspects, the entire 80 series would have died in 1997, but it didn’t. Only the body died (at least in most countries). The rest still carries on today in the markets that need the ultimate vehicle.

Toyota even went a step further and deleting the full floating rear axle and included a weak front diff for early models and then deleting the rear locker after only a few years. Why they did this, I don't understand.

What I do like about the 100s that I’ve driven is that they definitely have more power, much better brakes and I think handle better on road. But to me, solid axles have a distinct advantage off road, and more than just extreme trails. I’ve have passengers ask me when we’re going to go over an obstacle and I have to tell them to look behind them…we already did. They were expecting to be jerked side to side like they would have been in any IFS vehicle. Solid axles making driving over even the most modest obsticles much safer and easier, in my IFS and SA experience.

That all said, I think both rigs are excellent. The 100 is definitely more luxurious and probably more comfortable, but for the ultimate durability, it’s hard to argue against the 80.

For most mere mortals, like me, the real clincher is economics. Even older 100s are spendy, especially by the time you get done with modifications. You can buy and completely build an 80 for about the same or less than a good used 100.

:safari-rig:

This all sounds good and a lot makes good sense. Time however has proven the 100 more reliable than the 80. According to many Toyota experts the 100 is more easily diagnosed/repaired in the boonies. On long overland-type trips the 100's 50% stronger frame and body hold up better and are easier on the truck and persons. Discussing axles is meaningless as time has proven both vehicles to have little issues (FF or not).

And off-road....on non-extreme trails....I see you noted you have IFS vs SFA experience? What IFS vehicle do you have a lot of trail-running experience with? Based on your comments it cannot be the 100. I have about 100 trail runs (minimum) under my belt on the 100 and another 100 on my 80's. In many cases I've run the same trails several times in all my Cruisers. I know the obstacles well. I cannot disagree with you more on your point. The 100 runs through ALMOST everything with much more ease on the folks inside. There's no front diff to worry about hitting on rocks. The ride is far less punishing. Four Wheeler called it Roklimo. Off Road called it Traillimo. It is in fact that, a Roklimo. The 80 certainly is not...creaking, frame-flexing, crackling, rattling over washboards, etc. Rarely does it feel better on an obstacle to me. The only type I can think of would be dropping off tall ledges. The 100 shocks are softer. 80 shocks are stiffer, which helps. That's about it. The deal is...after a 6-hour trail ride in the 80 we're friggin beat. In the 100 we're still quite fresh.

Considering again the postee's desire to overland travel.....both the 80 and the 100 are overbuilt and have proven ultra-reliable. This eliminates technotalk about axles, lockers, diffs and the like. Both are ready to go. This leaves key issues like:

Safety
Comfort
Size
Needed mods available

The 100 has it.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
ShottsCruisers said:
This all sounds good and a lot makes good sense. Time however has proven the 100 more reliable than the 80. According to many Toyota experts the 100 is more easily diagnosed/repaired in the boonies.

Which Toyota experts are you referring to John? What metric are you using for "reliability"?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Dirty Harry said:
Which Toyota experts are you referring to John? What metric are you using for "reliability"?

One is Robbie of the FJCTTTeam and former Slee MM.

Consumer Reports...the auto reliability is not subjective. It's compiled of hard data from vehicle owners.

As I said, both are ultra reliable. The 100 has had the edge however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles