Help a guy out...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
True, but the jeep must go. They'll have to bury me in the HJ45 before I'd give that up (At least that's how I feel for the time being).

Shotts, the more I see pics of your cruiser on mud the more I dig it. when I find the one, I'll post up the build for sure.

Thanks much. And I'll take my 100 through the Rubi before I'd drive a Jeep! :chowtime:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
ShottsCruisers said:
Thanks much. And I'll take my 100 through the Rubi before I'd drive a Jeep! :chowtime:

Strong words there...

I had a Jeep Wrangler and it was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever had, more so than two of my three toyota's. It's too early to tell with my latest.

For trails like Rubicon, Fordyce and Johnson Valley, Jeep like vehicles (2d utility removable top type) just work better (if you care about the body, if you don't then all bets are off. Size does matter after all. :shakin:

Jack

spressomon

Expedition Leader
ShottsCruisers said:

Must be a multiple choice type of thing going on here :REOutArchery02:

Quote from above: "TRUE! My buddy's stock Wranger went through the Rubicon far easier than his friends 80...it's size...it matters! "

Gotta wonder about ya John!

mike h

Adventurer
So, what started as a question about choosing a taco, an 80, or a 100 has drifted into a semantic argument about trail difficulty and driver experience... reliability discussions between sub-makes of Toyotas? Waste of energy - it's all good.

As a recent purchaser of a 1996 80 I can simply add that this is the most substantial vehicle I've ever enjoyed driving. Build quality is unreal. Doesn't even begin to look or feel like an 11 year old rig. Other than learning to pilot the sheer bulk thru trails, or parking lots, this truck simply puts a smile on my face every time I drive.

I'm sure it's replacement will be a 100 series in the next 5-10 years... or, hopefully, the 100 will be an addition, not a replacement.

Gas mileage complaints... I don't get it. Look at the sticker on a new Tundra (both the price an mpg). You have to view these as RVs of sorts, pay to play, whatever... the 80 gets a few mpg less than my previous trucks, but the overall advantages are huge in every other category.

Wanna be green? Make your driveway a true Toyota YinYang - buy a Prius to compliment your LC. Or take the $22k you dropped on a Prius and put that in a 'fuel acct' and you'll be hard pressed to spend it all (assuming you have to go to work for some parts of the month).

Just pick a price... if you want to spend over 25k, go 100. If you want to spend under 15k, go with an 80. The taco sits in the middle somewhere, but a taco isn't a cruiser.

80 vs 100... too bad the rest of the world can't enjoy such daily dilemmas!

m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles