Help a guy out...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
O.K. guys...I have a buyer coming to look at my 04 Unlimited. If all goes well I will be looking for a new ride. Let me here your thoughts on the new choices for an overland style rig. I hate to see the unlimited go, but it needs to.

A nice used 80 series. It will probably be a 97 (I'm looking at two 40th anniversary with factory lockers).

A used 100 series.

A new Taco DC...

I realize these are diferent vehicles, but the common theme is four doors. I need four doors. The builds will be mild compared to my Unlimited, not going to exceed the 33" tire diameter, will have lockers and armor. I'm done with the hardcore rockcrawling party scene.

Let me hear what you guys think. I know there are a few of you on here that have owned these and have swapped back and forth.

I am looking forward to your thoughts.

thanks

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I would without hesitation say the 80 series. However, after a few years with out very mildly-built 100, I would be remiss not to consider the Hundy for a build. It is truly a great vehicle, very near to the 80 series in so many ways. What it lacks in true crawling capability, it makes up in power and comfort and more modern looks, and very good aftermarket support.

Thus, my vote is the 100 series, prices are really reasonable.

Brian894x4

Explorer
I can't express enough how much I love my 80 series. I think a '97 with lockers would be an awesome rig! I came from a built SAS mini-truck and to me the 80 series solved every single issue I had with my old truck, while maintaining most of its off road capability, including needing more interior room, better on road comfort, more power, etc...however...there are a few things to consider with the 80 series.

The gas mileage in the 80 is absolutely horrible. Getting 15-16 highway mpg in a stock rig is about the best mileage one will ever see. Once you add weight, taller tires, the mileage goes down from there. I've actually seen single digits on occasion. I currently average in the low-low teens, although I may be in the need of a tune up and might be able get back up to the mid teens on long highway trips, driving extremely conservitably. I run 33" tires with the stock 4.10 gears and I think this actually slightly helps the fuel economy.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but with gas well north of $3/gal and not knowing where it's going from here, gas mileage could be a concern going forward. For me, my rig is not a daily driver, so the added expense is not as dramatic, but I worry about gas prices go to $4 or $5 in the coming years. I guess in the future, the LC80 could always make an excellent platform for a diesel conversion. But part of what makes the 80 shine so much is the bulletproof 1FZ engine, so I hate to get rid of it.

Another concern is the headgasket. Toyota was forced to stop using asbestos sometime in the late 1980s and during the interum years of the early to mid 1990s, the materials used in the headgaskets were not the greatest. Although some rigs can go their whole lives without needing a new headgasket, it's not uncommon for an 80 series with higher mileage to need a headgasket replacement. Otherwise, the engine and tranny are generally bulletproof for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Size is also a concern, but that entirely depends on the type of off roading and trails you like to run. It is a bigger rig, compared to a mini-truck or Taco. Not lengthwise, but width and hieght. Not sure how it compares to your Jeep though.

I've driven a 2001 Taco and my 1989 Toyota pickup on long trips and both are OK, but can be cramp, and this is where the 80 shines. Lots and lots of room, and extremely comfortable to drive, but can go almost anywhere off road, especially with a mild lift, some taller tires and lockers.

I've only briefly driven a 100 series. My take on it is that is has slightly more power than the 80 even being 500lbs heavier, but has REALLY good brakes, compared to the 80 series. Supposedly the 100 series is bigger, but comparing one side by side with my 80 I couldn't see the difference. I also couldn't see the difference inside. The 100 series felt a little better in terms of highway handling. Didn't drive it off road. I hear the 100 gets slightly better gas mileage, though. With the 100 series having IFS, the 80 series will outdo it off road, but only on the more extreme stuff. However, even on mild trails, the solid axles of the 80 series keep the rig stable and safe and that's where I like it the most.

To me, the 80 series is ultimate compromise between luxery and extreme off road capability, which probably makes it the ultimate expedition rig ever made available to this country. When you look at a few details, you can see that Toyota specificly designed this rig for remote expedition travel, which makes it extremely unique as far as anything else offered in the USA. First you got fail safe double fan belts, then you got a water/debris catch can in the air filter system, then you got a motor that is specificly designed to make gobs of torque at extremely low rpm and is specificly designed to run on low octane pump gas from just about anywhere. The 1FZ motor is just an amazing piece of engineering. It's a motor that is almost exclusively built for durability. Not over powerful, and certainly, not fuel effiecient, but definately bulletproof.

I was shocked to discover all of this as I assumed the 80 series was a creampuff with solid axles. In reality, it's a bush rig through and through, fitting with a leather interior.

Sorry about the long post, I could write all day about it.

I have so more info in the 80 series here.

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80.html

More info on buying an 80 series:

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80FAQ.html

Details on the engine/tranny:

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80engine.html

Slee's excellent buyer's guide on the 80/100 series:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Good luck.

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My opinion is that you should drive an 80 and a 100 and see for yourself which you like best.

In the 100 series, the 2UZFE V8 is a great motor. The brakes are much better. The 100 is slightly bigger than the 80.

You will be hard pressed finding an 80 in good condition while the 100 series vehicles will be much more readily available.

Depending upon you budget, I'd say buy the best you can afford and go from there.

I highly recommend the 2000 and later vehicles and add your own ARB locker(s). 2000+ gets you TRAC (traction control) and VSC (vehicle skid control). The TRAC works admirably off road and the VSC has saved my ass on the hwy already.

If you buy a 100 series with around 90k, make sure the timing belt and water pump job were done or factor in the cost with your purchase.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Harry and Jack I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Sorry I missed your call this weekend Jereme. Shocked to hear that you are selling the Unlimited! Of the three you listed, my choice would be the 80 series. Jack commented on how much worse the ride was in his Tacoma compared to his LX450 when we were up at High Rock Canyon. I feel the same way with my 4Runner. It is more nimble and fun at speed than the 80, but not nearly as solid feeling on the trail when doing expedition work.

My suggestion would be to go to a Battle Born Cruisers meeting and check out Dan Streight's 100 series. It is about as nice as they come, and extremely competent on the trail. Buy in price is about the same as an 80 these days, but parts (particularly differential parts) can be considerably more expensive, especially if you are comparing to an 80 that already comes equipped with lockers.

I will be back in town next weekend, maybe we can get together.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I wish I would have read this before Pyramid...then you could have checked my hundy out and driven it.

I went back and forth between 80 and 100 just like you. My uses are excursions, hunting, fishing, camping exploring. It, 3-years ago, was tough finding an 80 in the condition I wanted; a nice selection of 100's were more the norm. I liked the V-8 idea particularly since I knew I was going to be adding considerable weight and the eventual trailer.

The 100 is, in practical terms, limited to 2.75" lift. But you don't need any more than that for my application use. You absolutely MUST (repeat to yourself: MUST...MUST...MUST) install the ARB front locker to avoid a more expensive problem...it is not IF but WHEN!!! But to be fair the 80, with all the weight I carry along with the Horizon trailer would be too underpowered for me without adding a SC...which takes the already paltry fuel mileage down a notch...and adds $$$ to the 80 side (for what you'd spend on a SC on an 80 you can do your lockers and regear on the 100 for 315's).

Depending on budget I'd buy a 2003 100 with the 5-speed, TRAC, VSC...add the ARB up front along with bumpers, winch, sliders, etc., etc., and you'll have an incredible, reliable and comfortable rig!

There have been a few folks that have been very surprised with the type of terrain I have driven my 100 up and over...its more than capable if you set it up properly.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dude, i got out of the rockcrawling scene, for the expedition/overland/exploring/adventure type stuff.. just like you. I would 110% go with a 80 series. 33's, factory lockers, solid axles, enough bolts ons to make you go broke, a proven / tried/ tested overland rig available in the USA! There is now doing wrong with a 40th 97!

or.. a 100... hehehehe (damn i wish had one of those too!)

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
spressomon said:
Depending on budget I'd buy a 2003 100 with the 5-speed, TRAC, VSC...add the ARB up front along with bumpers, winch, sliders, etc., etc., and you'll have an incredible, reliable and comfortable rig!

This would be my dream rig, but I haven't found an '03s with reasonable miles on them for under $30k. I also wonder about the ability to pull my pickup behind a 100 series.

Jereme maybe you should get a 100 and Sam can cut you and Dan a deal on setting up suspensions on both of your Land Cruisers. :)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Dirty Harry said:
This would be my dream rig, but I haven't found an '03s with reasonable miles on them for under $30k. I also wonder about the ability to pull my pickup behind a 100 series.

Jereme maybe you should get a 100 and Sam can cut you and Dan a deal on setting up suspensions on both of your Land Cruisers. :)

FYI: Sam is going to install 2" Fox w/remotes x 4 corners in about 2-weeks! It will get me another 20mm droop in front which I desperately need and valving that should effectively control my rig. He's going to convert the post type top mount (OEM) to eye bolt style...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Jereme:

You already know I strongly support you changing platforms, though I'm biased as I recently did it myself, leaving Jeep for Toyota.

This past Saturday during the Adventure Trailers Pyramid Lake Adventure we did some moderate wheelin' with an 80-series, 100-series (spressomon), a nicely built long-arm LJ and my low-rider 4th gen 4Runner. Watching from the rear, it was obviously that both the Land Cruisers are very capable vehicles. They both had more height (with about the same amount of lift) and more tire than my little 4Runner. Without looking closely, they appeared very similar in size. Large, but still more compact and nimble than the full-sized diesel trucks I have driven for years (there are few places one can't go in Nevada in a full-sized pickup). I know I would probably prefer the straight axle on the 80, but I also like clean, new/or newer, rigs, and comfort has become more important to me as I mature.

When it comes to traction control and other gizmos I have a new perspective. I have always been dismissive (ignorant) about brake-actuated traction and stability, in addition to a knob controlled T-case and push button T-case lock over more traditional levers and cables. Automatic transmissions are not my preference. When I chose a 4th Gen 4Runner to replace my LJ I had no choice, as this is how the current 4Runners are offered.

The wagon is still new so I don't foresee any problems with the knobs and buttons. Time will tell, but it is a Toyota :) While lockers may still be in my 4Runner's future, the stock TRAC works quite well. My 4th Gen's TRAC system makes the vehicle far more capable than an open-diff only rig.

The five speed auto is simply a beautiful transmission. First gear is very low, so getting started from a stop, even with a heavy armor, 33s, and the stock 3.73 gears is not a problem. Having 5-speeds, the spacing is nice and tight, a gear for all seasons. The torque converter is capable of partially locking or fully locking. It drives like it has more than 5-gears, as it doesn't simply change from 5th locked to unlocked, to 4th. The torque converter changes its grip almost imperceptibly so a given road speed in a certain gear is not always the same RPM, it depends on what the load is and what the torque converter is doing. I probably control my C-gated shifter and limit upshifts more than I need to coming from years of manual tranny use. But the 5-sp simply works well and putting it in top gear on the highway and letting it do its thing is not a bad choice most of the time.

VSC. While driving on good Nevada gravel road on this same run this past Saturday I was going fast enough around a curve to get a little sideways drift. It was going to be minor and I was just going to let it slide. If I would have needed more control I would have powered into/through the slide. But I was is normal full-time-4WD with the T-case unlocked, meaning VSC was still on. The warning beep sounded a few times and the VSC quickly and effortlessly brought the car straight and back on track in about 2-seconds. I was impressed. It works well. While you may not want a computer thinking for you or controlling your high-speed runs across the desert all the time, I think that having these features for normal driving might be advantageous. Particularly if there are less experienced/different drivers going to drive your rig. I would have probably dismissed a series 100 before this weekend. But after seeing Dan wheel his I would have to agree, they work well and they are available with some cool stuff on them.

Engine. Just like size matters, so does economy and power. I put 4.88s in my LJ because it lacked on-road power not because I needed lower gear with 33s off road. The great little 4.0L engine was chocked and weighed down and needed more to cut the wind. I love the 4.7L V8 & 5-speed tranny combo. The engine is strong and willing with reasonable economy. I would only trade it for a nice little turbo diesel.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not to hijack...oh well: Redline, it was great to meet you and your 'wife'...and it was great to have another 2M to communicate with even though it took me awhile to use the right mike ;-)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering why you aren't thinking about the 4runner as well as the Tacoma?

I would get a 4runner with the v8 and call it a day. Did you ever see the ARB 4runner that Scott Brady was driving around? That thing was sweet. The 4.0 is cool too, but I'm a big fan of the 4.7.

The 4runner and Tacoma have better suspension options too, although I'm dying to see the 2.0 Fox install on the 100 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles