Winch mounting question

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Got my Warn 8000 today and am trying to figure out a good way to mount it in the ARB. For those guys who've done this with 80's, what did you use underneath for the support mounting? I searched back through old threads and couldn't find how people have mounted that winch in the ARB. Any help would be appreciated.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
When I put my M12k in, I had to use a little hydraulic lift to get it up, and then someone underneath pushed it up that last 4". We couldn't get the holes lined up properly (I think I told you this?) so used 2 much longer temporary bolts just to get them captured in the winch a few threads and pull it though to center on the holes.

jginutah

Adventurer
Mr Upcruiser,

Just did it last week. The winch is not the heavy and it is Not a big deal, use tie-down strap around the winch cage and the bumper. The problem I had is that the motor on the M8000 hit the inside of the bumper. I used 1x1 solid Alum stock (no paint needed) to fir it out (1/2 was too tight). And you will need longer bolts, I think I used 2 1/2"s.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Shoot, you guys need to work out more!

I bench pressed my Warn m12000 up there! Then had Yosh and a buddy thread in the bolts. Seriously though.. the easiest way to do it.. is have the bumper off.. mount it up, then have a buddy and you lift the entire bumper on the truck. Go grab your neighbor if your other half cant help.

Yes, you need to drill 2 holes! Check the roller fairlead setup and mark the holes from the back side. Then drill out the roller fairlead on a workbench or somewhere off the truck. You'll see what im talking about once you get it up there.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks guys. I figured it out and got it done. Took just over an hour and I had enlisted the help of my neighbor. The confusion came from my neighbor telling me that the feet had to be mounted in the down position, thus my original question. I got under the truck and checked it feet forward then realized he was wrong and this was how everyone was mounting them up. Call me stupid. haha Anyway, it worked out great and I didn't get any sag in the front suspension like I feared.

I also got the screen windows finished and will be testing those out this weekend on an excursion. I'm closing in on the end of my mods that I wanted to accomplish this year. I'll try to post up some pictures of the window screens when I get a chance.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I snapped some pictures with Dana's crappy digi cam today of the screens. You get an idea how they work though. I made frames from plywood, then used gorrilla glue to sandwich the screen between. It attaches to the inside of the window via velcro. We tested it out this weekend camping and it worked great despite some really thick bugs, the truck was comfortable, breezy and bug free.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dude, that's totally rad! You should sell those, i bet they would sell like hotcakes bro! Hell, i'd order a pair for my rig for sure.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks! I was considering whether I should make some more or not. I learned from some mistakes along the way for sure and I wouldn't be satisfied making these for anyone unless my quality control was much higher then on my prototypes. I wasn't too concerned for them being perfect for myself, all I wanted was for them to keep the bugs out. If I made more I'd have to clean the design up a bit. I'd also have to figure out a way to ship them without damaging them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles