Hummer Expeditions

Scott Brady

Founder
That is a fun site. It seems that many expeditions start in Venezuela. It must be a popular activity there too. (most likely spurned by reasonable fuel cost, great vehicles, a good size upper class, etc.)

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
This may be a dumb question but how do people like that make a living? How do they afford food and the like? I know they have sponsors but...I'm confused. If I could I'm sure Cyndi might be up for some of that stuff. At least once the baby gets bigger.

Ron B

Explorer
looks like they have some serious sponsorship as well as alot of free time (and $$ to boot). With all that gear, fuel, water, and four guys, I bet their truck is pushing 11k lbs.

I'd love to do something like that someday, but I'm not so sure I'd want to do it my soft top.

Ron B

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
*Begin thread Hijack*

Ron-
Do you ever encounter areas where your Hummer is too wide to complete the trail? I think of a handful of trails near by me where anything wider than my Taco would not fit though with out serious carnage. Sweet pictures on the what is your rig thread. Looks like an area near me called the Coves, Butcher Jones, or Rolls OHV Area near the lake.

*end Thread Hijack*

Wil

+ d

Adventurer
The BN Guy said:
...how do people like that make a living?...I know they have sponsors but....

check out all the stickers! not sure what they charge per square inch of advertising space, but that must be why the picked the hummer as their platform :p

i bet one of them spends some serious time marketing, making phone calls, spiffing out the website...basically a full time job when they're not on the road

pangaea

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
*Begin thread Hijack*

Ron-
Do you ever encounter areas where your Hummer is too wide to complete the trail? I think of a handful of trails near by me where anything wider than my Taco would not fit though with out serious carnage.

Funny that you should mention that... Last summer I finally saw a Hummer H1 on the trails here in Colorado. I was found the vehicle sitting at the top of Webster Pass, more famously known as the feeder road to Red Cone. This trail has tight switchbacks, steep drop offs and a trail that's just barely wide enough for my Land Rover. I asked the driver how he managed the trail with such a wide vehicle.

"Easy." he replied. "I just hang one of the wheels halfway off the edge of the trail"

:smileeek:

pangaea

Adventurer
Oh, and just as a frame of reference, here's Webster Pass, seen from the top of Red Cone.

redcone24.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Ron,

Welcome to the site!

I was talking with Tom Collins at SEMA, who does some work with Hummer. He told a similar story, where the driver had to put half of the tire off the shelf.

Ron B

Explorer
I have hit some spots where it's just too narrow and had to find another way around or (bummer) turn around. Had to 3-wheel it in a few tight places, as well as get pretty sideways to avoid serious carnage. The most I've been is just under 45 degrees...further than that and my puckering butt will crinkle the leather seats. The break-over angle sucks, I find that hinders me more than anything.

the pictures I posted are from a trail called 2n17x, it's a fun trail NW of Big Bear, CA (next to Silverwood Lake). There are alot of fun trails in the Big Bear area.

Ron B

Ron B

Explorer
If you're ever in So.Cal. drop me a note and maybe we can hit some of those trails. I'm about 80 miles west of the Big Bear area in Hollywood (ie: 1.5 hrs in my slow-poke truck). There's a group of H1 owners I wheel with about once a month. Come join us sometime -- we'll be jealous of how easy you squeeze through the tight spots!

Ron B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles