ARE MX Walk Thru Cap

hikingff77

Adventurer
Has anyone had any experience with this truck cap? I have a cap now but it's too small for me to get in and out of without hitting something and with another baby due in October lord knows I'll need more space.

It basically turns a pick up into a hatchback, but the hatchback has a walk in door. I have two dogs who would love this feature the most I'm sure.

Is it really practical? I see it at being very practical with the full door open you can hide out under if it's raining or for shade. Plus you don't have to open the glass and then the tailgate like you do with a normal cap to get into the truck bed.

I'm kinda torn on what I want to do with the bed, I love the freedom of an empty bed but I love the security of a cap.

Just wanted to see if anyone is using one.

desertspeed

Adventurer
It looks like an awesome feature, and I would love to pick one up. Unfortunately they are $$$$$- the full rear door adds about $1,000 to the cost of the shell. I was quoted right around $3,000 for mine (2004 Silverado CC short bed). I keep hoping to find a used one, but I bet they don't come up for sale much

Leviathan

Observer
I bought a regular ARE cap earlier this year and I was warned away from the rear door by the dealer. Apparently there is a lot of stress on the hinges and such; they are not very sturdy. Factor in the cost too, and it was easy to talk me out of one.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I looked into those when I had my Taco. The price scared me off - I think it was somewhere around $2500 for the Taco version.

I wonder about the stability of it for an off-road vehicle that is twisting and bouncing - that heavy door is just held in place by the hinges, I could imagine that twisting a hinge or cracking the fiberglass at the hinge would be a very real possibility.

Another issue for me is that the walk-in panel completely replaces the tailgate. I don't know about you, but I like tailgates, in fact, about the only thing I miss going from a 2004 Tacoma to my current 1999 4runner is the tailgate.

Back in the old days, they used to make aluminum/wood shells with walk-in doors where the door panel actually sat inside the tailgate - so you could keep the tailgate and still have the walk in feature. Of course, those toppers weren't sleek or color matched - they were boxy and square and available in any color you wanted as long as you wanted white. I don't think they even make those kinds of toppers anymore.

Kenfly

attachment.php

Here is mine. The only thing I would do different is get the taller version.

justbenjy

cover

It looks like an awesome feature, and I would love to pick one up. Unfortunately they are $$$$$- the full rear door adds about $1,000 to the cost of the shell. I was quoted right around $3,000 for mine (2004 Silverado CC short bed). I keep hoping to find a used one, but I bet they don't come up for sale much

still looking for one?? i have one forsale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior