Ammo cans for gas?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
LOL, I can understand that. I don't recall seeing anything but maybe one of you know... are the Scepter cans CARB legal?...

Traditional MFC's are not CARB compliant, Scepter however does make consumer grade cans that are CARB compliant. Non-issue here in Utah, we neither mandate nor enforce CARB compliance and additionally all pre-CARB items will be grandfathered if/when CARB goes 50-state mandatory.

mac66

Observer
Traditional MFC's are not CARB compliant, Scepter however does make consumer grade cans that are CARB compliant. Non-issue here in Utah, we neither mandate nor enforce CARB compliance and additionally all pre-CARB items will be grandfathered if/when CARB goes 50-state mandatory.

CARB? Who cares about CARB compliance? In fact I would probably go out of my way to not comply with anything that came out of California. ;)

kjp1969

Explorer
That sounds like a lot of work when you can just buy a Igloo 5 gal water jug.

Completely undercover.
Looks like an innocent water container.

Carrying gas isn't a crime. Unless you put it in a water jug.

Sometimes the easiest answer is the best- just go buy a proper gas can. It cannot be improved upon by using a "rigged up" ammo can or water jug or some other third world solution. Gasoline is serious stuff. Skimp somewhere else.

LACamper

Adventurer
What about putting a plastic $5 gas can inside one of the bigger ammo cans?

Better question: Does anyone use 6 gallon outboard boat cans? Seems like they would sit flatter, you wouldn't have to buy a holder for them. I'm not sure how their feed line hooks but I bet you could run a syphon to the tank without taking them off the rack with a bit of work. Plus they're cheaper, available locally, and meant to hold gas...

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Better question: Does anyone use 6 gallon outboard boat cans? ...... I'm not sure how their feed line hooks but I bet you could run a syphon to the tank without taking them off the rack with a bit of work. Plus they're cheaper, available locally, and meant to hold gas...

Yes, I have used them. Most come with a bracket to snubber/strap them down.

The one I use, has a vented cap. And the way the hose hooks up, it has a special connection at each end. One for the can, one for the motor, with a primer (squeeze) bulb in line.

I cut the motor end off, and use the primer bulb to get the fuel flowing for transferring.

Works great at the cabin, for filling the lawn mower, quads and generator, with out having to ever lift the can out of the truck.

Once done, the hose quick disconnects from the can.

Lucky j

Explorer
This subject srcare the hell out of me! Gas in amo case when 5 gallons DOT legal are not even 20$!

Maybe that's the paramedic in me who goes to pic you up after an accident when you are still stuck in your car or truck!

Buy the way, I had to open my amo can to take a ferry in the us. Since I was driving my Wrangler without the top, they could see them, but still, They ask me to open them. I think that a welded amo can could look a bit suspicious.

mac66

Observer
What about putting a plastic $5 gas can inside one of the bigger ammo cans?

Better question: Does anyone use 6 gallon outboard boat cans? Seems like they would sit flatter, you wouldn't have to buy a holder for them. I'm not sure how their feed line hooks but I bet you could run a syphon to the tank without taking them off the rack with a bit of work. Plus they're cheaper, available locally, and meant to hold gas...

That is a pretty good idea. They typically sit horizontal, have a low center of gravity and come in both metal and plastic.

In regards to ammo cans used for gas. You could paint and label them as fuel cells. I've seen all kinds of things (beer kegs etc.) used on dune buggies, motorcycles etc used as fuel cells. You can buy all shapes and sizes of fuel cells at hot rod shops though they tend to be expensive.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I've been tossing the idea around and still don't see the negative but that's coming from a standpoint of someone who's built custom gas tanks before. I ran this idea across a military friend who's currently overseas and he stated they're already doing it for some of the longer trips in the Hilux's, they just drill and tap a hole in the top, use a bolt as the plug, and weld the lid shut. When they fill up, they use an inline pump and send it from one tank to the other. To keep COG low, they lay them in the bottom of the bed and haven't had a prob. When I was in that AOR we had plenty of water/fuel tanks but apparently Reg army has claimed most of them back.

If I could get the cans at $10 I wouldn't hesitate to make one but at $20, it's not worth the trouble if I can buy it cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz