Trasharoo Question

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Wasnt sure where to put this!

So, I just got my new Black Trasharoo! I am quite pleased with the quality, and look forward to using it, but have a couple questions for those of you who have had them for a while.

I searched a bit, but either missed the thread discussing it, or there isnt one, anyway:

Do you leave this on the vehicle all the time or just on a trip?

Is it ok to leave it on as far as UV problems? (I realize nothing is completely safe against sun exposure, but some things last much longer than others...)

Do you use a plastic liner/trash back inside, or just throw the trash straight in the bag?

How water proof/resistant is the canvas with the flap closed?

Would there be any benefit to me spraying it down with camp dry or scotch guard?

Anything else I am missing? Other advice?

Thanks! ~Stump

lowenbrau

Explorer
We've only had our on a couple months but it has been very valuable due to us have a small boy in diapers. The Trasharoo is so very handy that I committed to myself that I'd just leave it on the rig and use it even if that meant UV would eventually kill it and I'd have to replace it. Don't tell the manufacturer-duo but I'd replace it every other year and still feel like I was getting good value. Ours looks to be fading a bit but it might just be getting dusty. We use a garbage bag inside of it and put garbage in it and drop bottles and cans down the side between the garbage bag and the Trasharoo. When it gets full I just yank the plastic bag out and toss it and then fish out the empties for recycling. I keep a stash of black and blue bags in the zippered compartment in the lid.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, the price for what you get is VERY nice! I figure if it lasts two years, I have definitely gotten my monies worth, and I'll buy another. Good point on the diapers! We have a 5 month old!

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
Trasharoos are a great product and are warrantied. The sun does fade the color some here in AZ. It works great for everything not just trash. I typically just put it on for each trip to extend the life of it.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I've got four of them and have used them for practically everything except trash. My latest discovery is that a PETT, the WAG bags and one of those metal-origami privy tents (mine's from Bass Pro) are a perfect fit in the main 'Roo pouch. I also use the exterior net pockets for the bug spray, sunscreen, wipes and other stuff you want to get at quickly.

In common with most everyone, I leave the bags on all of the time. They wear well and do not seem to be affected by the elements, with the exception that my two black bags have turned a sort of slightly purplish dark grey due to sun fading. The new model has better UV protection than the old one, but the black still seems to fade a bit. Doesn't have any functional effect, though, and my olive and khaki ones still look like new.

For the utility they provide and the quality of their construction, they seem way underpriced. Highly recommended.

Ramjet

Explorer
It's great, but....

I love mine. But I did use it this past week on a trip to Colorado and when I took it off to clean it, I realized that the contents of the Trasharoo had damaged my rim, I only had a coleman stove and my sons tires for his Bob Stroller in it. Now this will not keep me from using it again, but I will be more aware of what I put in it.

Eventhough

Explorer
Glad to here ya got a Trasharoo. I've had mine since last summer IIRC and love it. OD green is my favorite color but I went with black.

Depends on how lazy I am. If I'm going on a trip the next weekend I just leave mine on. If it will be awhile I take mine off.

Is it ok to leave it on as far as UV problems? (I realize nothing is completely safe against sun exposure, but some things last much longer than others...)

It will fade. I left my black Trasharoo on for about 3 months and it started to noticeably fade.

Do you use a plastic liner/trash back inside, or just throw the trash straight in the bag?

I use a heavy duty bag. They are easy to clean with a pressure washer from a distance or a regular spray hose up close but a bag makes it much easier. If you are using yours for diapers you definitely want to catch any 'leaks.'

Mine has been in several intense downpours and has stayed dry on the inside. It received 6" of rain in April 2011 over a 12 hour period and the inside was still dry.

Would there be any benefit to me spraying it down with camp dry or scotch guard?

Couldn't hurt.

Anything else I am missing? Other advice?

I forgot mine when I was at the recent Overland Rally and Workshop in Marion NC and I really missed it. I hated having a garbage bag hanging on the back my truck after I got used to my Trasharoo. It is probably my favorite inexpensive addition to my truck to make camping easier.

:beer:

STREGA

Explorer
I love mine. But I did use it this past week on a trip to Colorado and when I took it off to clean it, I realized that the contents of the Trasharoo had damaged my rim, I only had a coleman stove and my sons tires for his Bob Stroller in it. Now this will not keep me from using it again, but I will be more aware of what I put in it.

I have the same truck as you, what was the damage to your wheel? I've been hauling my PETT toilet and trash bag in mine haven't seen any damage yet.

stankfoot

Adventurer
i have the tan. i take it off when not in use. i use for everything. haul firewood to camp, trash and dirty stinky clothes out.

when going to beach or lake we put towels and all the wet stuff in there. helps keep the jeep less crowded.

great product. going to get another one soon.

and yes i use trash bags with it. makes it easier to keep clean..

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Only on the rig during a trip as it is soooo cool someone here in Phx would steal it otherwise.

It isn't UV damage but more of an aging effect you might see over time...and I have had mine on quite a bit since I got it last Nov and the brutal Az sun hasn't hurt it at all.

Home Depot 3mil Contractors bags are my choice, heavy enough to not tear when I pull them out to toss away. Also make a survival shelter, body wrap and other handy uses if needed.

As I use a bag inside mine I have not worried about that at all.

The only other thing would be to make good use of the other pockets to store your bags, some gloves and get out/take pics and send them to Dave & Yoshi :)

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I take mine off when not in use, mainly to keep someone else from taking it off and making it their own. I use a plastic bag inside mine; right now just the black 30 gal ones but I'll probably get some heavier Home Depot ones.

Ramjet

Explorer
I have the same truck as you, what was the damage to your wheel? I've been hauling my PETT toilet and trash bag in mine haven't seen any damage yet.

I have the Black TRD Rims and it rubbed the rim on one section all the way to the metal. Also, it was only a four day trip with two days on trails.

Also, if you need an idea on how to clean it, just throw it in the washing machine inside out and it cleans it just fine.

Expedition Leader
The vendor I bought mine from talked me out of a black one because he said they fade so bad. Mine is only on for a trip. I use 30-gal. trash bags as liners.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Forgot to mention... You can use it for a bug out bag and carry absolutely everything you have the strength to carry in it.

attachment.php

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Good morning everyone. All the above comments and answers are spot on.

Yes, you can leave it on full time. But also as they gain popularity there's a chance someone might nab it. We're working on a cable lock system for upcoming production runs, early 2012.

Also, the fading issue is a common problem and i won't lie. They do fade within 6 months (black) because the sun is so brutal. We are working to "Up" our UV protection even further.. but they'll never be fully protected. Even my Hi-Lift cover has faded to purple. It's just part of the game. I will say that the green and the tan do a little better with this.

We usually toss a 30 gal liner in the 'Roo so that upon returning home or to a major city inbetween remote areas you can yank it out and toss it in a dumpster. Ease of dumping.

We don't market the flap as being 'waterproof' , maybe 'water resistant" .. but that being said, we've never had a soaking wet internal from being out in the road/back country in the rain or snow.

If you spray it with Scotch Guard, let us know how that goes.. as we haven't tried that. It may prevent fading.. or it may make the bag become brittle in the sun.

Ramjet, i apologize if your bag rubbed through the coating on your wheel. This would the first example i've heard of this happening. Are those wheels Teflon coated? Was the bag properly tightened? Here's a video clip of making sure it's properly tightened.. http://www.youtube.com/user/Trasharoo

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions you can give us a call directly at 714-854-7292 or email us a info@trasharoo.com

Dave Druck

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz