On board air

SJEEPER

Observer
I have a small air tank and high output compressor that would like to work together as an on board air system in my camper. Is there a write up somewhere that details exactly how to put 2 and 2 together. I get the basic idea compressor to fill the tank but how will the compressor shut off once reached max psi and how to fit output lines.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

4x4mike

Adventurer
The internet and Expo are full of these articles. I would search around for a write up that uses a compressor similar to yours. In short you'll need some sort of pressure switch that will cut power to the compressor once the tank reaches a certain pressure.

I run an engine driven York system but it's quite a lot different than an electric one. Kilby Enterprises has nice plan layouts and can be used to model your system.

barlowrs

Explorer
You need to have a pressure switch mounted in the tank to cut the compressor power once a pre-determined (by the PS) pressure is reached, there are many writeups out there for this. Here is the way I did mine: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/54723-OBA-Install-on-05-Tacoma?highlight=.

Here are a few other good sources of info:

Samples on electrical and mechanical wiring: http://www.extremeoutback.com/tips_instructions.html

Very good videos from AT: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirevideo.html.

theksmith

Explorer
multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing:

images_u%5C1130200930812PM619200993110AMAZOB2K_wiring1.jpg

154_0604_03_z+jeep_air_systems_on_board_install+wiring_plumbing_diagram.jpg

wiring01.jpg

depending on the size of your compressor, you may be dealing with a solenoid instead of a relay and a circuit breaker instead of a fuse - they still hookup exactly the same.

and don't forget the check valve. you should also consider an unloader, Load Genie is a combo unloader/check valve.

Last edited:

JamesDowning

Explorer
These setups are relatively simple as long as you have a place to mount everything.

There are two sides to the system, air and electric.

The two sides intersect at two points: power to the compressor, and the pressure switch.

Assuming you know how to wire a relay system (you may be able to use the relay that is supplied with your compressor), you will need to wire the pressure system in series with your manual control switch so when either is "off", no power is supplied to the compressor. The pressure switch can be wired in anywhere along your pressurized air system, but the further from the air source the better, because the pressure oscillations will be dampened further down the line (you don't want your relay to be switching on and off with every pressure wave).

The air system is rather simple, and it's fairly flexible. Most people recommend a secondary one-way valve at the compressor head to prevent back-flow through the compressor. From there, run the pressure line to your tank. Most people include a drain cock at the bottom of the tank to release built up water vapor. From the tank you need to have a line that goes to a quick connect. It's also a good idea to plumb in a safety blow off valve in the event the compressor stays on past the pressure switch cutoff point.

Hopefully that gives you a really quick idea of what's involved.

Here are some various pictures from my install:

Standard MV-50 with a pressure gauge and one way valve. From here the line runs into the fender and below the vehicle.
5.jpg

Under the vehicle, the line from the compressor comes in at the left of this image through a bulkhead fitting. The line goes to the tank in my rear bumper. From there it comes out to the manifold (with BOV & PS). From the manifold it runs right (out of the picture) to a quick connect mounted on the back bumper.
6.jpg

Overall, pretty simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles