First Trailer Build

EWS

Observer
A newcomer here. Though been following the site for some time, before deciding to build. .As I am in the UK and all materials come in metric sizes, if people would prefer me to convert to imperial, please say so.

My first trailer build. We need a small general-purpose trailer, capable of staying with us when we use green lanes /unmade roads, and to comply with the UK’s 750Kg unbraked category for “ Light 01” trailers. Looked around and found this, to style my trailer on. Link below

http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

And my thanks to “Johnny” for posting the article.

My build

The chassis, drawbar is made from 75mmx50mmx3mm box, it will have 900 kg leaf springs ( one leaf will be possibly removed) and a 1500kg axle, with unbraked hubs to fit Land Rover alloy rims. The bed size is 1mt x 1.5mt x 400mm. The framework is 40mm x 20mm box and 25mm x 25mm box for the top rail (second user steel), side cladding will be aluminium sheet with a floor of treated exterior ply

It is planed to put two recovery points on the rear side chassis rails, (you never know if you made need them), the open ends of all the box sections will be closed with plastic caps, though the open ends of the long chassis rail at the rear do seem to offer a location for a high lift jack, when necessary. Axle bump stops will also be fitted to limit the deflection of the springs.

Will add to post as to progress.

Attachments

• ooo 009.jpg
    ooo 009.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 252
  • ooo 006.jpg
    ooo 006.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 227
  • ooo 007.jpg
    ooo 007.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 247
  • ooo 001.jpg
    ooo 001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 220

EWS

Observer
Started to work on the springs and pleased to find the shackle pins were fitted with grease nipples, an old pair of “Series” Land Rover axle bump stops has also found a home.

Hopefully should be able to pick up a pair of Land Rover “Boost” alloys this week, with 235/85 R16 A/T tyres, which will allow me to work on the mudguards

Attachments

• TB 013.jpg
    TB 013.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 154
  • TB 011.jpg
    TB 011.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 128
  • TB 012.jpg
    TB 012.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 160

EWS

Observer
As the build progress, things evolve. As my partner is disabled, we carry the manual wheel chair in the Land Rover, but as she advised, the time will come when she will need an electric/powered set of wheels, as she is a tetra/quadriplegic. So why not think of how we load a powered set of wheels into the trailer. Must admit I had not thought of this eventuality.

Okay, checked out the dimensions of all current electric wheelchairs available in the UK, they will fit the bed /box of the trailer, how to load???.

Discounted a ramp, then looked at our spare back up manual/hydraulic hoist, (we have overhead tracks and hoist in the house).( she’s a light weight so I can lift her into the truck). Think what we in the UK call an engine crane; a disable person hoist is really a refined one of these, with a spreader bar to fit the sling and an inflated price.

Idea !!!! . Why not use an engine crane, a manual pump up hydraulic type, remove the all the bits except the vertical post, which includes the hydraulic pump/jack and the lifting arm, okay you will have to visualize this bit as its all in my mind .

Weld in a post to the chassis rail, say what I have available, some 50 x 75 mm box, next to the left hand rear corner post, not to worried about that taking up room, weld on two weld on gate lugs, weld on two gate eyes on the vertical post of the hoist, and we have a lift on/off hoist, in my mind the swing/ rotation will work, just have to get the data to work out the lift height / arc, weight no problem as the electric wheelies are well below the weight limit of the cheapest engine hoist, rated at a ½ ton. Would probably need to fit one jack stand to the rear to stabilize the trailer, while hoisting the wheelie aboard, no problem with this.

Any one got any thoughts on this idea, or alternative suggestions.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Bruno lift

Here in the states we have the Bruno wheel chair lift.
It is a great device. It would work great for your needs.
They have a UK partner autoadapt. There is a local gentleman that has on on a lifted Chevrolet
pick up. You should see the looks he gets when he rolls up to the Handicapped spots at the local Wal-Mart.
People assume that no one that drives a truck like that has a disability, Then he opens the door and cranes his chair out of the truck bed.
It is a very nice piece of equipment.

http://www.bruno.com/vehicle-lift-out-rider.html

Last edited:

EWS

Observer
Thanks Mark.

This suggestion is certainly worth us looking into, as we not aware of this device.

We also get many looks when we park in disability spaces with our Land Rover Defender and I lift my partner into her set of wheels, not the usaual mode of disabled person transport !!!!!

Many thanks.

Edward

EWS

Observer
A little progress , so some more images for you all.

It’s a bind not having bigger doors into my work shop, it a 40ft x 8ft Porta Cabin , (no mains power so I have a 5.5 kva , electric start diesel/veg oil mix generator,). so at the end of the day I dropped off the axle /spring set up and lifted it all back in through the little door. So its mobile, took it for a test trundle round the yard, easy to reverse, and quite pleased with the proportions. As a note, I weigh 160lbs, and did a bounce on the rear chassis member and got a deflection of the swinging shackles of about ½ to ¾ inch movement. So may yet remove a leaf.

The coupling at the moment is a Bradley cast steel unbraked coupling, 50mm ball hitch rated at 2600 kg., with 12 mm, 8.8 Hi Tensile bolts and crush tubes inserted into the box section drawbar and a 3mm spreader plate underneath. Hubs ( unbraked) - 5 x 6.5 PDC. Wheel rims - 16-inch “Boost” alloys. Tyres – Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx , LT 235/85 R16 A/T.

So next is mudguards /fenders, all good fun !!!!.

Thinking to the future. Have today read about tracing stolen trucks/trailers, will be getting some data and prices for Data Tag, Sky Tag or some similar tracking device, just in case the Defender or trailer wanders off on its own.

Query - As this trailer will limited to 750kg, its built to fit the UK Light Trailer 01 class, hence unbraked axle. Has any one any suggestions re what tyre pressures would be applicable re the weight and tyre size, also considering road/highway use.

Attachments

• Axle on 007.jpg
    Axle on 007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Axle on 011.jpg
    Axle on 011.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Axle on 001.jpg
    Axle on 001.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Axle on 009.jpg
    Axle on 009.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 133

uk trailer guy

Observer
Query - As this trailer will limited to 750kg, its built to fit the UK Light Trailer 01 class, hence unbraked axle. Has any one any suggestions re what tyre pressures would be applicable re the weight and tyre size, also considering road/highway use.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Landy wheel & tyre combo you have on there isn't too far away from the 750kg, per pair, rating anyway? They should have a max weight and 'max cold' psi rating too, which should point you in the direction.

If they're close to 750kg, for the pair, then I'd probably fill them to a level relative with the percentage the weight of what the trailer is (750kg) against the max tyre weight rating.

PS. The build looks great :)

EWS

Observer
Well, got a little more done, though rain stopped play!!.

Welded on a Jockey wheel, and fitted the floor support bars, then tack welded the mudguard brackets in place.

Unfortunately work and caring for my disabled partner takes priority, so lucky to get more than a 4 hour session on the trailer at one time, and today rain stopped play, as I cannot lift/fit the whole assembly through the door of my workshop, its now outside, as I got fed up with fitting and removing the axle/spring assemble.

Made the choice for a single pole drawbar for the following reasons, we carry the manual wheelie in the back of the truck, and I felt that a “A” frame drawbar made access that little more awkward, and as can be seen, the draw bar is long enough to clear the vehicle in a 90’ turn also which also enables the rear to be fully opened even in the straight ahead position.

The mudguards/fenders are made from a sort of polyethylene, (to me a plastic) that can be painted!!!!!!, though my Defender has these sort of flares and they are colour matched to the truck, not sure if the DIY type of coating really works, so I may leave them black, to match the planed chassis colour

Attachments

• Muduards ( Fenders) Jockey wheel 005.jpg
    Muduards ( Fenders) Jockey wheel 005.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Muduards ( Fenders) Jockey wheel 008.jpg
    Muduards ( Fenders) Jockey wheel 008.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 156

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Here in the states we have the Bruno wheel chair lift.
It is a great device. It would work great for your needs.
They have a UK partner autoadapt. There is a local gentleman that has on on a lifted Chevrolet
pick up. You should see the looks he gets when he rolls up to the Handicapped spots at the local Wal-Mart.
People assume that no one that drives a truck like that has a disability, Then he opens the door and cranes his chair out of the truck bed.
It is a very nice piece of equipment.

http://www.bruno.com/vehicle-lift-out-rider.html

That is just plain cool!

EWS

Observer
Hi RandomAbstract.

A brilliant piece of kit, this wheelchair lift, but not available in the UK, due to regulations problems. . And the cost in the UK would be astromical , as for all items for disabled use. All bull**** !!!!!!, not tested here ect,ect,!!!!!!

So we will go with our home brew system, using a converted engine crane, to lift an electric powered wheely aboard as it will be more cost effective, no problems with retro fit to trailer, just a manual /hydraulic system , demountable unit ( KISS system) . As my partner is a tetra /quadriplegic, so she is now dependent on me . We wish to get the trailer functioning, and test the basic platform out, then to modify the trailer as we think fit..

What more does one need , a gas axe , a grinder , welder, steel and a good woman to inspire you ..

EWS

Observer
Hi all.

Slowly getting there, we had time out in Kenya

Clad the frame and floor with 3mm ally sheet, fixed with rivets and self drilling screws, all open corners fitted with plastic bungs/caps. Paint work was by rattle cans, acid etch primer, red primer and lots of Alveston Red..

Two secondary couplings, only one required by law for unbraked 01 Class 750Kg trailers., keeps the hitch 10 inches of the ground., UK law is the trailer hitch must not contact the ground on failure of the coupling or words to that effect.

Still work to do, but getting there, then can get a weigh bridge ticket, for ULW.

Attachments

• Secondary coupling 001.jpg
    Secondary coupling 001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Secondary coupling 002.jpg
    Secondary coupling 002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 156
  • paint 004.jpg
    paint 004.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 167
  • paint 005.jpg
    paint 005.jpg