trailer with tent living/ sleeping?

Bumzo1

If you plan on living in it for a while I wouldn't go with anything that has a tent because it won't be insulated. I think a large truck camper would be your best bet for long term living. If you have the cash you might also think about an earth roamer http://www.earthroamer.com/ but that might be a little overkill.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Have you looked at Jurgens trailers? They make a couple like that.

I like the Xcape model best.
http://www.jurgenssafari.co.za/models/xcape.html

Xcape.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I call bull......

The only way you're gettin' through that door Bigboy, is if they cut you in two....:ylsmoke:

They have about the coolest line up of trailers I've seen...all the designs look to be top notch! I'd love to know some pricing.

King bed and I could stand up in it.
I can get through the hatch on my teardrop; this thing would be a snap.

But the price is pretty high on the caravan types. Maybe Rou will chime in with a price. I'm playing Lotto, just in case.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Bill and Titanpat,
Well, the image of the Jurgens Xcape there is an older one. I was actually in the Jurgens factory with the design team when they redesigned the door and added about 6 inches length/height to the entryway. They also made a step inside, so your entry is less severe, and more graduated. So big man Bill, would indeed be able to go in and out with ease.

To the OP, if you are thinking long term, I would also advise against all-tent setups. Go with something hard-sided and with enough space to keep you comfy when the weather is crappy. The longer you plan to spend in it, the more compromises you have to make in terms of weight, size and compactness. Having said that, the Jurgens line seem to have gotten a lot of things right! Hard sided camper, off-road capable, and can be towed by something as small as a Tacoma. It is also designed to be trail worthy, in that it is narrower and lower than most campers. Thought the price of entry is quite a bit higher than a tent trailer (we're anticipating around $30k for the Xcape model), the design, engineering and heritage that has gone into these is quite remarkable. The Xplorer model is a little larger and has 4berths.
We have delayed bringing them in until we are comfortable with conforming to all DOT and NHTSA regulations, as well as tailoring the campers to the US market, and are confident that we are now at that stage. This may be a pretty viable alternative, depending on what your budget is looking like.
Cheers,
Rou .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior