SPOT vs. PLB

moosetags

As we venture deep into the forest on a regular basis, we have become concerned about emergency situations that might arise. The places we go most often do not have any cell phone signal.

We have started researching emergency locator devices. We have looked into the Personal Locator Beacon, monitored by the Air Force and the SPOT Satellite Messenger commercial unit.

I'm looking for pros, cons, and opinions.

Thanx, Brian

plm61

The Spot is more versatile. It can send out your location every 10 minutes (viewable by others on the web if you set that up), and can send a couple of customized messages. It also requires a yearly fee for service, and is not as dependable as a PLB. It is ideal if you want others at home to be able to track your progress. About $150, then $100-150/year for service.

PLBs require no annual fee, use a significantly more robust system of satellites, but do not offer Internet tracking like the Spot. Highly dependable for summoning help. $225-400 depending on which unit you buy; no fee for service (other than your tax dollars.)

Another approach is a sat phone. Avoid Globalstar which has serious issues with service availability. Iridium phones can be had new for about $1,000, then it requires about $40/month to keep the service active. Calls are about $1/minute. Outgoing text messages are $0.50. Incoming texts are free.

For versatility I'd recommend the Spot. For dependability at a reasonable cost, go with the PLB. For ultimate worldwide dependability, go with the sat phone. Being an inveterate gadget geek, I own all three.

Regards,

Patrick
WEMT/PA-C/Mountain Rescue

Holger

Observer
Some PLB can send messages as well.
If your life depends on it - PLB no question. More rugged,stonger signal, better battery, works worldwide, and alerts a state body.
Spot is a good choice in 'semi- rural areas'.
Have a look.

plm61's post notes
Avoid Globalstar
- which from experience I would absolutely agree with.

Holger's link says Spot uses Globalstar. If so... there's a message there.

There are cheaper options than Iridium in satellite phones, although Iridium is the provider of choice if you move between countries.

Holger

Observer
Keep in mind that to to call for help with a SAT phone you will need to :
a: be able to dial, place the call and to pysically hold a phone ( might be difficult in cold climate or after an accident)
b: you need to know the right number. ( sounds funny, but can be confusing if you are on the other side of the world)
c: communication might not be possible ( clouds/ weak signal; strong wind and resulting noise and interfierence with the microphone)
d: you need to be able to get to it (Sat phones are typically packed in a pelibox or similar for protection, and stored somewhere in the car (might not be able to get to it after an accident or fire), while a PLB is designed to be carried on the person)
c: costs
PLB: press the button once and you are done.
As a communication tool with home, work or as a lifeline SAT-Phones are exellent though....no doubt..

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I recently got a SPOT, mostly for two reasons: Communicate (one-way) with friends and family...and 'just in case' I need emergency help. I found here in the PNW that the SPOT works 95% of the time in the woods, under tree cover, etc.

So the real question is what is your risk tolerance?

If you absolutely must have a reliable safety net to get out a message in the backwoods, your best bet is PLB (even then, it won't work if you are stuck in a gully with a broken leg and heavy tree cover).

If you can tolerate some risk, and want the flexibility/tracking/one-way communications that the SPOT has, go with that.

If you can wait, and want two-way communications (using the irridium network), wait until the new Delorme unit comes out :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
One other quick note regarding the SPOT system: All of the early SPOTs (and I believe most current SPOTs except for the new DeLorme inReach) use the same Globalstar satellite constellation that everyone above was warning you about with respect to satphones.

The market is definitely changing, though. A few years ago, a 406MHz PLB was, IMHO, the only viable option for an Emergency Alert and the SPOT devices were an interesting consumer device but not something that could be ultimately depended on. Changes in the coverage maps and better power output, etc. from the newer devices means the gap is closing, but I still think a 406 PLB is a better bet for ultimate rescue potential.

One last note on "Worldwide" usefulness - The 406MHz constellation does in fact cover the whole globe. The same COSPAS/SARSAT network will receive the initial alert whether you push the button in the Arizona Desert, the Bering Sea, Central Mongolia, or the middle of the Sahara - the only difference is who they call NEXT. Do they call the Maricopa County Sheriff, the USCG, etc. etc.? Of course the availability of help depends greatly on the region, but the same is basically true of a satphone.

Gooseberry

Explorer
After setting through a few lectures on PLB's I would never own one. I do SAR for the state and the NPS and the PLB's we have responded to have a large and not so accurate PLK (point last known). The few from the lecture had a 20 mile long and 2 mile wide area with multiple PLKs in it. The Spot is within a half mile but like said before it needs clear view of the sky anlong with any GPS a good sat signal. Yosemite valley is real bad for GPS and getting a good location.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
After setting through a few lectures on PLB's I would never own one. I do SAR for the state and the NPS and the PLB's we have responded to have a large and not so accurate PLK (point last known). The few from the lecture had a 20 mile long and 2 mile wide area with multiple PLKs in it. The Spot is within a half mile but like said before it needs clear view of the sky anlong with any GPS a good sat signal. Yosemite valley is real bad for GPS and getting a good location.

That sounds like a PLK trail for a PLB that doesn't have GPS built in - i.e. one that relies on the doppler shift of the signal to the satellites to calculate origin. Most PLBs in the last few years have included a built-in GPS receiver and the alert message transmitted on the 406MHz band includes the real-time coordinates of the beacon. (i.e. if the PLB is moving, like on a life raft, the transmitted coordinates will update accordingly). If the beacon doesn't move (i.e. on land), the PLK should be good enough to walk right up to the beacon unless it's hiding in a bush.

My ACR MicrOFix is about 5 years old now so it includes the GPS transmitter and still has the older 121.5MHz ELT signal that is now phased out.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Herbie, My Yeasu FT-60R (dual bander HT) has an emergency feature that can be activated. That's all I know about it, never used. Don't know who moitors the freq. either. But, if you have a radio with this GPS and alert incorporated, it's free!

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
There is a new option from Delorme called InReach. There are a couple threads on it around here. I'm not sure which satellite constellation it uses.

If I were to get a PLB I would definitely get a model that either included or interfaced with a GPS to improve the position reporting accuracy

A question I'd raise about SPOT is what would they do if they are in receipt of an emergency message from a device with an account that is delinquent. Recognize that the account may be delinquent through no fault of your own - check lost in the mail, credit card on file for auto renewal expired, or any number of other possible administrative foul ups. Just something to consider.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
There are some articles floating around the web comparing the 5 year costs. The PLB's come out much cheaper. Do a search on SPOT vs. FastFind and you'll get a lot of hits.

The SPOT system offers a GEOS rescue insurance program for very little money. If you get a SPOT you should definitely consider getting the GEOS add-on. GEOS will cover fees related to the rescue itself and for any medivac if needed and that could turn out to be some very big money. They also have a AAA type tow service that may fit your travel style but I passed on the tow add-on.

PLB's, in my opinion, are far superior to the SPOT system when it comes to the sequence of events that will transpire once you hit the button for help. From everything I've read, you are more likely to be rescued with a PLB than a SPOT and the PLB will bring the SAR people in a lot faster.

If you've got big bucks, get both.

The hottest thing going nowadays with PLB's are the ones that are small enough and light enough that you can carry them around on your person all the time. The McMurdo FastFind 210 is one such unit. The ACR ResQLink is due out in October 2011 and it is supposed to be smaller and lighter that the FastFind 210. The benefit of this is that you can stick it in a cargo pocket and forget about it until needed.

I'm giving away my FastFind to my brother and I'm going to get a ResQLink as soon as they come out and I already own a SPOT. I'm planning on using both. I like the SPOT messaging, and I really like the GEOS add-on, but for the rescue portion of it, I want to have a ResQLink handy.

Gooseberry

Explorer
The one with the 20mile strip had the gps location feature and was scary. We just have not had many good location success's with plb's. This is from last year so they may have improved.

[/B]QUOTE=Herbie;921343]That sounds like a PLK trail for a PLB that doesn't have GPS built in - i.e. one that relies on the doppler shift of the signal to the satellites to calculate origin. Most PLBs in the last few years have included a built-in GPS receiver and the alert message transmitted on the 406MHz band includes the real-time coordinates of the beacon. (i.e. if the PLB is moving, like on a life raft, the transmitted coordinates will update accordingly). If the beacon doesn't move (i.e. on land), the PLK should be good enough to walk right up to the beacon unless it's hiding in a bush.

My ACR MicrOFix is about 5 years old now so it includes the GPS transmitter and still has the older 121.5MHz ELT signal that is now phased out.[/QUOTE]

plm61

PLB Reliability

Ditto on the recommendation for the FastFind. Cheap, small, and reliable.

I can't comment on other's experiences with PLBs, but I've responded to two rescues for people who activated PLBs (brand unknown) and the reported lat/long was dead on accurate. The most recent was on Mt. Baldy and the hasty team followed the lat/long in white out conditions to make voice contact with the subject and then hike him out.

I'd be very interested to read about well-constructed tests that show a lack of reliability in reported PLB lat/longs.

Patrick
WEMT/PA-C/Mountain SAR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior