Hardware advice for ladder attachment

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
OK...I want to move my ladder from being stored inside the closed tent to outside.
The best solution I can see is to strap it beneath the tent bottom.
I have 1/4" bolts from the actual tent attachment to the support rails that I want to use as attachment points for black rubber or similar bungee straps.
But I am having a heck of a time finding a tie-down anchor that will slip over the 1/4" stud and clamp down one end with a good sized ring or slot at the other end.
Hope this makes sense.
I've surfed quite a bit...no luck so far.
Any ideas?

:sombrero:

Last edited:

DaktariEd

Not quite there yet, guys...
What I'm looking for is more like a figure 8. A small washer/hole on one end fits over the exposed bolt and a nut secures it. The other end of the figure 8 is larger perhaps, and takes the hook of the bungee.

Does that make sense?

The McMaster-Carr site has potential...I'm searching still...

This diagram shows an end that would work, but I can't find that end or tie-down component...

Last edited:

LJRockstar

Adventurer
McMaster has damn near EVERYTHING! Even if you don't find what you are looking for for this particular thing, Contact them and get a full paper catalog, I find that it is much easier to find things in their book than on their site. The book is 4,000 pages!!!!!! The book WILL come in handy at some point!!!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have seen something like what you describe at our local Ace hardware. It is used for a cargo tie down.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
How about a large flat washer with a 1/4" hole to fit the stud. Drill a hole in the edge of the washer, and put a split ring through the hole you drilled? Secure the washer with a nut.

DaktariEd

I searched at Ace for quite some time...no dice.
So I went home and opened a few of my parts bins.
Found four 1/2" x 2" straight brackets, one hole in each end already the right size. Popped them in the vice, bent them slightly (~30˚), rounded the corners; they fit perfectly.
Added a layer of rubber padding over the tent support bars so I won't have metal on metal, and stretched a couple of bungees across.
Voila!
Took me longer to search the web and Ace unsuccessfully than to do it!
Now I think I will just replace the cheap bungees with black rubber bungees.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Ed,

My suggestion would be to purchase 4 of McMaster PN 8860T82, attach them to the underside of the roof rail and use 2 shortened ratchet straps to hold the ladder in place. We have used the 8860T82 as ratchet hold downs in the back Scotty's FJ40 with great success.

DaktariEd

elcoyote said:
Ed,

My suggestion would be to purchase 4 of McMaster PN 8860T82, attach them to the underside of the roof rail and use 2 shortened ratchet straps to hold the ladder in place. We have used the 8860T82 as ratchet hold downs in the back Scotty's FJ40 with great success.

That's a good idea.
What about the lateral load they would be under? Do you think it would possibly bend?

DaktariEd

ntsqd said:
If the loop can be positioned such that the bolts/screws are in-line with the direction of pull there'll be no bending moment on them.

Actually they can't...they are oriented front to back (see the photos in a previous post) since they are part of the clamping mechanism for the tent to the cross members. I better stick with what I have so far.

All I need now is an appropriate size black rubber bungee. That should be better than the typical round cord bungee.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Even if you drill & tap those plates? Kind of hard to tell if there is enough room, but it looks like it.

FWIW long ago I banished all bungies. I either use Fastex type buckles & webbing or I use ratchet straps. Bungies still allow unacceptable motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles