Post up stories or pictures of your vintage nostalgic equipment.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I was up at the Las Conchas fire as a stsnd in mechanic this last week and was talking the the equipment manager about the good old days. He mentioned when he was a hunting guide they showered with an ambercrombie and fitch canvas water bucket with a spigeot on the bottom. We still use great grandpas dutch ovens and grandpas too. I aquired grandpas old coleman stove set but have not used it yet. Now for the story.

Every year our church does a campout (fathers and sons) we used to go with our father and Grand father. I remeber one year Grandpa made buscuits and gravy for dinner. He wanted us to help, he aske each of us to find a small rock ( there were three of us). I remember asking why and he just said" to make biscuits and gravy". From then on I was convinced when you made biscuits and gravy in a dutch oven you need three small rocks. Can any one guess why thwey where needed?

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Either to rest the Dutch Oven on. Three is easier to balance. Or to give you kids something to do, like having expectant fathers boil water. Git outta here!

JackW

Explorer
A friend of mine still has his wooden framed Trapper Nelson backpack from the 1960's. Very cutting edge for the time.

I'm still using my Snow Leopard mummy style sleeping bags from the mid 1970's - one down and one synthetic - still very comfortable but a bit tighter fit than they used to be...

S

Squatchout

The biscuit tin sits on the rocks inside the dutch oven. That way you actually bake the biscuits like you would in an oven.

S

Squatchout

Bingo. And that's how we have done it since. Now I tell my girls to find some rocks.

I learned dutch oven cooking in the Boy Scouts a very long time ago!

Here are a couple of my old stoves that I still use. Not ancient but dated for sure.

This is my Olicamp Scorpion. They were quite poular in the late '80s and seems they are back on the market. I have the entire cook kit with 2 stove burners.

In this blue bag is an entire camp kitchen. The coffee perk on the left I recently bought at URE and it sucks because it is aluminum. Don't buy aluminum camp cook stuff. It loses heat to the cold air faster than the stove can heat it up. Especially without a windscreen. A lesson I have recently relearned.
Picture001Small-1.jpg

This is what's in the bag. All pots are stainless steel with copper bottoms.
skillet, big pot with lid, small pot with lid, aluminum fitted windscreen, 2 stove burners.
Picture002Small-1.jpg

Picture003Small-1.jpg

Picture004Small-1.jpg

This is a complete stove without the fuel canister.
Picture003Small-2.jpg

Picture004Small-2.jpg

Set up the legs.
Picture005Small-2.jpg

Add the burner pan.
Picture006Small-2.jpg

Screw on the burner.
Picture007Small-1.jpg

Add the pot rest wings.
Picture008Small.jpg

Set the windscreen in place and screw on a canister. The windscreen is what sets this apart. it fits the pots tightly and make for a nice hot butane stove that works well even in high winds.
Picture009Small.jpg

Making coffee. This last trip to GWNF was the 1st time I've used the cheapo perk on this stove. It works much better this way.
Picture006Small-1.jpg

It only takes a moment or 2 to get from bag to cooking.

I'm really not much of a gear hound these days but do get attached to some cool stuff. I don't care much about the newest thing anymore. But when I find something I like I tend to hang on to it. This stove has always been a favorite unless it's really cold out. Butane reaches it's limits in cold weather. Even using the propane mix.

Lately I've been doing more cold weather camping than I have in some time so I pulled out this old jewel. It's a Primus Grasshopper stove from the early '70s that I haven't used in many years. It still functions fine (especially in cold) and I took it on 2 trips this spring. It is made for the tall skinny propane tanks but seems to be fine with the short fat ones. It's mainly just used to perc coffee and heat soup or beans. Only prob is the burner is small and very hot so it tends to burn stuff in the middle of the pan. But it works in sub freezing weather. I had forgotten I even had this.

From the way back machine.
Picture001Small-2.jpg

Picture002Small-2.jpg

B.L. Sims

Observer
I guess "vintage" depends on the person, their age, and when they got started.
Being fairly young in the grand scheme of things the most "vintage" things I have only date back 20 years or so.

Ive still got (and use) my GAZ backpacking stove which fits nicely in an aluminum coffee pot which IIRC is actually marked "grease".
Its boiled many a pot of hot water for coffee, oatmeal, hot chocolate, and Mountain House/Backpackers Pantry meals.
I really should stock up on more cartridges as it uses the old style that was pierced when securing it to the burner.

My dad has a "chore girl" scrubber thats been in his pack for 40 something years. Not really "equipment" but we tend to keep things around for a long time if they work well.

We are backpackers so no dutch ovens, cast iron pans, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles