ARB recovery bag failure after at most a dozen trips and 2 years....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not sure how long their bags are meant to last but I really don't believe it should have failed after such little use especially when you pay such a premium for them. What kind of results have you other ARB bag owners found? Anyone found a better alternative for a reasonable price? I really don't want to pay a premium price unless I get far better use out of a bag.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
After looking at it further, I've come to the realization that my Warn snatch block must have cut through the bottom of the bag. It was the only thing in that pocket and has been there since day 1. Still a bummer that they couldn't have reinforced the bottom of the bag better.

Buyer/user beware I guess.

Pics for those interested in seeing them...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Several years and thousands of miles down bump roads with mine... no issues. I do make sure that sharp/heavy objects are shielded from cutting into the bag, looks like yours was on the bottom rubbing against the bed of your vehicle?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Kurt, yes it was. I'm going to try and patch the spot with a piece of rubber mat and/or a couple of layers of 2" wide nylon webbing straps.

The rest of the bag is holding up ok otherwise.

I see you're an ARB reseller so perhaps reinforcing the bottom might be some good feedback for the ARB folks since I'm probably not the only one to use it this way.

Either that or perhaps selling a separate reinforced bag for the snatch block is a good solution. Are there other recommended ways to carry the block where it won't damage it's container?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I see you're an ARB reseller so perhaps reinforcing the bottom might be some good feedback for the ARB folks since I'm probably not the only one to use it this way.

Absolutely, even if its not something I've dealt with its worth passing up the chain.

Either that or perhaps selling a separate reinforced bag for the snatch block is a good solution. Are there other recommended ways to carry the block where it won't damage it's container?

I place my snatch block in between two straps so its no bouncing around. If that doesn't work out, get a heavy towel, it could double as your winch dampner if your using wire rope.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Absolutely, even if its not something I've dealt with its worth passing up the chain.

I place my snatch block in between two straps so its no bouncing around. If that doesn't work out, get a heavy towel, it could double as your winch dampner if your using wire rope.

Thanks for passing that up the chain. Even better if they want to send me a replacement bag for my 'valued' feedback... ;)

I'm using synthetic but using a thick section of towel sounds like a good solution for now.

BEVAN

Adventurer
I use a 20.00 Wal-mart jeep duffle bag for my Straps, Winch controller, Headlamps etc. I also have a Master-pull bag with my receiver shackle and kinetic energy strap. No wear on any of them.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Take it back to who you bought it from. they should give you a new one and they will send that back to ARB.

You think they still will after 2 yrs of ownership? I bought it from one of the larger 4x4 parts & accessory chain stores. Of course that was just before joining the forums and learning about all the great vendors on here... :-(

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Hmmm, looks like my bag

That is exactly what happened to my bag. Snatch block wore through, eventhough that is the advertised location for that piece of equipment. I contacted ARB directly, they wanted a couple of photos, and sent me a new bag.

I think they are willing to help customers out since a lot of their products are now made in China? Which is fine, as long as returning things doesn't become a habit.

Just my opinion, and good luck with your bag.

sprocket3

Adventurer
Not sure how long their bags are meant to last but I really don't believe it should have failed after such little use especially when you pay such a premium for them. What kind of results have you other ARB bag owners found? Anyone found a better alternative for a reasonable price? I really don't want to pay a premium price unless I get far better use out of a bag.

I purchased plastic tubs from Walmart and stuffed the metal parts in old socks so they don't rub and bang around. Been in the back for years and thousands of miles of nasty roads. Socks can double as rags in a pinch too.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I purchased plastic tubs from Walmart and stuffed the metal parts in old socks so they don't rub and bang around. Been in the back for years and thousands of miles of nasty roads. Socks can double as rags in a pinch too.

Already have tubs thanks but prefer a portable bag for the recovery gear. I like a bag cause simpy put it's easier to carry to an extraction site/situation. I gotta say though with multiple snatch straps, and misc gear it's as heavy as 'h e double hockey sticks' to carry by hand.
:Wow1:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
UPDATE: I called ARB support (Bill) to ask if the current bags have the same design since mine failed. Bill thanked me for the feedback and without batting an eye offered to send me replacement unit!:Wow1::wings::wings::wings:

ARB support continues their tradition of stepping up to the plate even when they really didn't have to. Definitely serving as a great example of how to build a very loyal customer base.

This time around I will put the snatch block in a separate canvas bag or at least wrap it in canvas (or a towel as suggested) before putting it in the ARB bag.

tperkins

Observer
I like my old fasioned red WARN bag :)

But for a solution for holding your snatch block, a canvas bag isnt a bad idea. Klein Tools makes a nice canvas tool pouch thats not too big and would fit a snatch block well. $9 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-5139-2-Inch-Canvas-Zipper/dp/B000BQRCKY/ref=pd_cp_hi_4

If you dont know Klein stuff, it's bombproof made in the USA lineman type gear, but works great for lots of stuff. I have a half dozen of them for organizers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles