Ramcharger Project

RU55ELL

Explorer
I've looked at ARB lockers but man, those things are expensive. Since I'm not running a big tire, I thought about running a Lock-Right. If I drop coin for a Detroit, I might as well get the ARB.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I have used a Lock-Right. Don't waist your money. They work great in light weight rigs but not in heavy full-size trucks, I had one in the front of a J20. It would slip and hammer until the lockouts exploded. I put ARBs in the front and rear of my Ramcharger. It drives great on road and like a mountain goat off-road. However, I think that a Detroit in the rear and an open front will take you just about anywhere you want to go. When I first got my '92 with open front and rear axles and no lift I was really impressed how well it did off-road. They are so maneuverable you can avoid many obstacles that would hang up most rigs.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I have only the stock lsd in the back of my truck and it still makes quite a large difference. The other 3/4t trucks I have driven offroad didn't work as well with open rears. Tires, suspensions and engine didn't seem to matter quite as much as that back lsd in the old beater dodge work truck I used.

I would say just about anything in the back will really be worth it, even a 1000 dollar locker. I can't comment on the front.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I'm a little unsure on whether or not I want to spend that kind of money on stock axles. I'm trying to work a deal thru a buddy who knows a guy that owns a junkyard. Hopefully I can score tons for cheap. :)

I think the best thing to do is just make some trips in it and see how it does and make sure I really need them right now.

Patman

Explorer
When mine was on 35's I ran a D44 with a detroit, when I installed a d60 I went with a lockright and up to 39.5's

Effectively they were identical. The lockright was a little more sensative to balanced side to side tire pressure, but no problems. Still living under the front of my wife's CJ a decade+ later.

In all reality a rear locker of any sort will be enough for 90% of situations. An ARB or other selectable locker is the best choice for the front, but not the only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne