Syncro Vs. Sportsmobile

wesel123

Explorer
Sorry if this had been posted before if so can someone link me???

Been kicking around the idea of getting and SMB again but kind of always wanted a Syncro Westy.

Can you guys chime in on the pluses and minuses of each???

stclair

Adventurer
I have a 1987 Syncro Westy, and love it. However, it is nearly 25 years old, and I'm getting ready to give it a total overhaul. The biggest problem I have found is that there just aren't too many of them here on the East Coast. I can't just get together with a few other Syncro owners for advice, and maybe to help wrench on it. However, I see that you are in California, so you might not have this problem. Huge Syncro community out there. Also, most of the shops that sell parts for these things are there as well. Which is a plus cause shipping can be a mutha. I do love the van, and think it is a GREAT platform for some serious adventure and stealth camping. I also thought about a Spotsmobile, but thought I'd like something that is a bit more "low profile" if you know what I mean. I do love the SMBs, but they kinda scream $$$. To most folks, a Syncro is just another hippie van. Not too many folks even know what it is, or how much they can cost fully done up. Ultimately I plan to convert it to a Subaru 2.5, add a decoupler, a solid shaft, and a few other nice things to make it more reliable. My hope is to get it to the point where I feel I am not constantly watching my temp guage or listening for strange noises. I want to be able to just turn the key, and go. If I were to do it again, I would do it again. The only thing might do differently might be to buy a van that has already been built, and is ready to go. Lots of options for you out West as far as shops that build these things. If you're considering a Sportsmobile, than you're shopping that price range already. Or then, maybe you should just buy a Toyota. That would be much easier.

whitedragon

You could also consider a Toyota troop carrier or modern land rover defender with dormobile style kit. SMB's are kinda souless IMO and as you say not low profile. The Troopy's can be a bit thin and harder to get westfalia/SMB style interiors but they are indestructable. I also saw a really good Ford Transit van in australia that had a been converted for 4wd and would make an ideal camper.
10596602.jpg

Last edited:

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Sportsmobile: Reliability (depending on motor apparently), bad gas mileage, bigger living area (but bigger vehicle), more capable, not as old (newer electronics and AC), more expensive, overall what the Westy syncro should have become. I consider it the next step.

Syncro: I don't own one, BUT from what I gather you either have one or you don't. :D As mentioned above, reliability is a big one. Most agree that they cost a bunch of money and over the long run maybe as much as a sportsmobile. But then again, it has a 'cool' factor that the SMB doesn't. If you swap out the motor and do a few minor things, it's perfect. The small size is a go anywhere machine (since it's the same size as my 2wd in L/W)

note: I THINK that Ford is discontinuing the E-series van the SMB is built on. Food for thought...Now a lifted Sprinter 4x4 van - git one.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Ian,

What are you looking to do with it?

Honestly, go with an SMB again...I know you'd enjoy it more than a Syncro.

PM me with specifics or just give me a call dude.

Patman

Explorer
Its been discussed in the linked threads, but for me it comes down to a few things.

Syncro Pro's vs. a Ford E Van

1.Forward Control
2.Smaller size
3."Cool Factor" Both my Wife and Daughter love to just sit in it, claims it relaxes them. I agree, kind of like a play house in the driveway.
4.Maybe mileage depending on what engine you get in the E and your driving style.

Everything else goes to the Ford.

With the VW everyone thinks you're a Hippie, with the Ford a molester (this is a great generalization, but you get the point)

I LOVE the Syncro, but I never feel "sure" in it. Always worried about the temp, or a CV, or, or, etc.

Would I trade my Syncro for a 4x E350 Short with PStroke? In a SECOND. Would my wife and child KILL me? In a SPLIT SECOND!!

billwilson

Adventurer
I have had three vw buses
a '62, '68 and '87, in order, split window, camper, panel and westy
love em all

a restored syncro is close to 100k at gowesty
i had 30k into my westy and needed a subie motor for another $$$$

i have 50k into my smb
i have room inside the rig and reliability
i can go anywere, any time and get back.... with AC

IMHO ya cant compare a synco and a smb
both great
both different
apples and oranges

for the same money spent on a reliable rig, smb wins

yes if you are a DIY guy, you could save alot on a syncro
but the same savings could be had on a smb style for a DIY build

here is a cut and paste from another site
1997 Ford E-350 Van, Quigley 4x4, Custom Interior - $14,800
Triton V-10, Quigley 4x4 conversion, Custom Interior, 111K miles

for twice or three times that you could get a rig another 10 years older
with twice the milage
BUT, you would be much cooler driving it :)

BajaBus

Adventurer
But then again, it has a 'cool' factor that the SMB doesn't.

I would vigorously disagree with that and doubt that I'm alone. Like Bill, I don't see how you can compare the two because it all boils down to what you want. Personally, I don't give my camper a human name, it doesn't have a heart or a soul, and I don't care about VW nostalgia. And I can guarantee you that a Syncro would not have gotten my family of five and I to the places we've been. So what that some weirdo wearing a hemp shirt doesn't think my vehicle has "soul." :sombrero:

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I have to agree with Baja Bus My whole life I thought smb's were killer awesome while I thought vw's were cool. I have never owned a vw but I have had friends that had and i have been camping in them. I would have owned a vw in the past but I always shyed away from them due to the fact I could not tow or haul my toys with the vw. I still think they are cool but in no way can they be compared to a full size 4wd van. I have seen syncro's out on the trails in colorado and utah but never on any of the more difficult trails. The reliability and capability of my ford van is light years ahead of the vw, not to mention I can tow whatever I want through the mountains at 70 miles and hour with ac on in 100 degree weather and I do not have to plan my driving around the heat of the day in the desert. For me there was no question about it the robust stoutness of a one ton van was what I needed for the trails I like to do and the toys I like haul. For me it is the perfect multipurpose vehicle.

Patman

Explorer
Like I said in my previous post, I like both. The wife no so much.

I have a semi related question. Riding in the back of a passenger style 4x van, do you get that relaxed "riding on a train" sense. My father rode in the back of my Syncro for the first time the other day, and claimed it was like riding the train in the old days.

BajaBus

Adventurer
I have to agree with Baja Bus My whole life I thought smb's were killer awesome while I thought vw's were cool. I have never owned a vw but I have had friends that had and i have been camping in them. I would have owned a vw in the past but I always shyed away from them due to the fact I could not tow or haul my toys with the vw. I still think they are cool but in no way can they be compared to a full size 4wd van. I have seen syncro's out on the trails in colorado and utah but never on any of the more difficult trails. The reliability and capability of my ford van is light years ahead of the vw, not to mention I can tow whatever I want through the mountains at 70 miles and hour with ac on in 100 degree weather and I do not have to plan my driving around the heat of the day in the desert. For me there was no question about it the robust stoutness of a one ton van was what I needed for the trails I like to do and the toys I like haul. For me it is the perfect multipurpose vehicle.

Okay, I guess I should have just had the balls to say what I really felt: For my family and I, a Syncro can't compare on any level to what we have, and to be quite honestly, especially on the "cool" factor. It's not even close. I could drag a Synrco sideways down the 70 mile long creekbeds I frequent in Baja with the a/c blasting and my ARB fridge set on 22F while the kids are watching DVDs in the bed before taking a nap.

Last edited:

Accrete

Explorer
Split the difference, get an Astro AWD! :jumping:

... or an AWD Chevy 1500 Van :)

My wife and i had a WESTY (non syncro) and LOVED IT! Would probably still have it today but the mechanic that swapped in a new engine didn't tighten the fuel clamp to the carb and it burnt to the ground ,( The dealer lost big time on that!..but in a way so did we as it was a fun rig.

One reason we chose to go with the Chevy 1500 was we wanted a _light_ van, recalling how much VW did with theirs. The second was the AWD (OK maybe that was the primary reason since it's so wet on the Oregon coast roads!). Anyway, we are now nearly a year in to ownership and absolutely love our van with all the DIY trim and upfitting. And the whole thing ready for a week of camping, full tank and the two of us weighs in at less than ~6800lbs. We get 16mpg around town and ~20 on the open road with the small 5.4L V8 running regular gas.

stclair

Adventurer
Just an update on my Syncro that might help someone decide for or against. It is currently in the shop having some work done to fix the bad job done by a would be "Syncro Expert". It has been a frustrating and expensive experience. Unfortunatly I am not nearly as DIY as I would like to be, and there is not a lot of East Coast support for these things. Right now I am just trying to get it back on the road so that I can enjoy the second half of Summer, and maybe a bit of Fall. I am considering strongly shipping it out West, to a mechanic that comes highly recommended for a full make over. I love my Syncro...but, if you are not a mechanic, I would check around to be sure there is a good place to take it for repairs. The situation also has me considering the purchase of a used Tacoma DC TRD. A sort of plan B just in case I can't get my Syncro right. I want to travel, not spend my time fixing a vehicle. Decisions, decisions....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles