CUCV M-1009 Baja Chase/ pit support and Camping Project.

78Bronco

Explorer
Really. A 3/4 ton rated 10 bolt axle with a detroit taking the power of the 6.2. Sounds a little odd to me. Are you sure?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The U-10 or M-1009 cucv as its called, comes with a 6.2l true detroit diesel, not gas conversion, and has larger valves in the heads and a better intake then general public 6.2 (and more power and torque) comes with a TH-400 tranny, a 208 transfer case and HD rated 3/4 ton gm 10 bolt axles with a locker in the back, stock tire size is 31" and comes with 3.08 gears.

The truck was designed for remote radio relay and interception. So it has a tough elect system for powering military radios, there is a bus bar on the passenger side wall in the back to quickly hook up more radios. It comes with 2 140 amp ground insulated alternators wired in series for 24vdc electrical, the starter, charging and glow plug system are all 24vdc, the rest of the truck is 12vdc.

You can find them cheap with few miles on them if you look around, got mine from a barstow USMC base auction for around 1200.00 when done and said, and it had 40,000 miles on it. some have only 500 miles on them but look as though at least 1 mile was when it fell out of the back of a C-130, so my point is go and look at them, there are very good ones out there if you know what to look for.

They are not for every one, they have no interior, no A/C, but do have a heater, they vibrate, are very loud, but do get good mileage. EPA rated them for 19 city and 21 highway. with stock tires. I get about 13 to 15 city, and about 15 to 19 freeway ln my 39" tires and a easy foot. best i have gotten on 35's was 24.6 mpg, and 21.4 with 39" tires, worst i have gotten is 11 mpg. using my gps since the speedo is off.

They also make good trucks for waste veggie oil conversions, i have ran a few tanks of 50/50 diesel and veggie oil through it and it loves it. it dose however hate the new dry ultra low diesel sold today. so if you have one and want your injectors and injection pump to last, better add lucas injector cleaner/lube, or 2 stroke oil, or a gallon of veggie oil every fill up or they will not last long, The military has problems with th IP and injectors when running dry JP-8 for fuel.

So to wrap up the specs, If your looking for a tough, go almost anywhere 100% mechanical ( dose not require electrical to run or drive , really only needs it to start) diesel 4x4, thats gets better mileage pulling a jeep then a jeep gets driving, where most parts are at every autopart store in USA and mexico as well as other places in the world, ( turbo kits are available for them too for even more power and torque) that will not brake the bank, will last 400,000+ miles if taken care of, can run on diesel, jet fuel, kerosene, waste oil, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, svo and wvo easily, and has a real cool factor, score your self one. with some work they are awesome. Just dont plan on winning to many drag races...

I also heard that a banks turbo was the way to go on these rigs. Cheers, Chilli.. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles