01-04 Tacoma Double Cab Roof Rack???

Hi everyone!

I just traded in my 97 Xtra cab Tacoma for a 03 Double cab:wings:

Anyone on here in the Northwest, (Washington/Oregon), have an OEM double cab roof rack for sale??????

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There was an OEM option but its very rare, I've seen maybe a half dozen trucks here in Utah with the roof rack, one of which is a local club member who bought the truck from an ExPo member in Cali.

If an aftermarket rack is an option, I'm absolutely thrilled with the Front Runner rack on my 04' DC. It takes some special fitting but is very strong and solid.

Willman

Like Kurt said...very rare....

There is a guy around town that has an OEM rack.....I think the aftermarket racks look better....

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
It was an option on 2002 and very early 2003 models. It was discontinued after a combination of low demand and assembly challenges. Although I have never been able to confirm it, the 2002 models that came with the roof rack option from the factory supposedly had additional roof reinforcement. They are a bit more common in Canada - I think that Toyota was trying to compete against the beefy looking rack on the Xterra.

The rack looked decent, but didn't have a great load rating. The crossbars weren't as robust as a Yakima or Thule setup.

There is a local guy that has one for sale for $30 (here in Alberta - not sure if shipping would kill you). http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories I have seen it for sale before as he parted out a truck and I am pretty sure he is missing some of the mounting hardware.

With all that said, I would recommend going the aftermarket route. You'll get a more useful and stronger rack.

Pete

4xdog

Explorer
Pretty sure there are several threads on customtacos.com that discuss installation and have full parts lists including numbers.

Definitely an uncommon option. Saw one last week in Atlanta -- the first in a year or more.

I have Thule crossbars on my 2001 DC, and they do fine for me. Not sure I'm in a hurry to drill through the roof even if I had the hardware.

Don

Last edited:

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Interesting... do you have any pictures? Is the installation of the tracks possible if there is a factory sunroof?

Yes I don't see why not. I will get some photos and specs tomorrow. The owner of Hannibal in South Africa will be at my shop in about a week. We are having a meeting to adding more product for the north America vehicles.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Like Kurt said...very rare....

There is a guy around town that has an OEM rack.....I think the aftermarket racks look better....

Ahh, I see. If it's anything like the oem rack I bought for my CRV, it's not worth it, and better off going with an aftermarket.

n8!

I just sold my '01 Taco Double Cab 3 wks ago (I miss it already) on which I installed a set of Yakima Q-Towers and cross bars. This was the best set-up I could find.

IMG_06132.jpg

53e185b2.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
A buddy's truck...There was always a running joke about the shape of the rear cross bar giving him extra MPG's. This is a 2002 truck.

jarrett.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
From the research that I did, the ones that came from the factory with the rack had more bracing. However, many dealers had port installed or installed on site racks, but they did not have the additional bracing.

I bought some 4runner racks from a 2nd and 3rd gen and I had plans to put them on the roof, but the thought of messing up a perfectly good roof scared me away. Additionally, I have always wanted a sunroof, so I talked to local install place that has a great reputation. He will install the 4runner rails while doing the sunroof install, and believes that the sunroof will only strengthen the roof since its just sheet metal at the moment. The power sunroof install will entail adding the bracing for the slider.

The reason I like this idea is that it will be done by a pro and it will allow me to use the defender mounts for stock vehicle roof rack rails with my Conn-Ferr rack.

This idea has been on the back burner due to lack of funds, but I am very close to pulling the trigger and just doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior