The Big Meander, Summer 2011

scarysharkface

Explorer
Colin, my son, wanted to go back to Moab and run some trails in the Jeep.

With that thought (and not much else) in our heads, and a couple weeks' time on our hands we headed West.

i-D4NVFsR-XL.jpg

It was actually cool enough to just leave the windows open..

i-GbKg8Vr-XL.jpg

At the end of Day 1 we parked it in a KOA somewhere in Western Kansas. We drove late and wanted to shower and hit the road early, so this was the quick and dirty way for us to accomplish that.

i-zDXtVx5-XL.jpg

My thinking was to find a convenient spot somewhere in Kansas to depart the Interstate and make for South-Central Colorado..

i-NMcS969-XL.jpg

The Great Plains has an allure that is hard, for me, to explain.

i-RHtMMws-XL.jpg

The family wasn't so taken with the ample space and understated landscaping. Meh..

i-Tg6cFgj-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Maybe what I like is the feeling of exposure.

i-rDmxRs8-XL.jpg

i-vPqfs3v-XL.jpg

Back East we've got electric fences. Out here, the fences are honest, real and beautiful..

i-kZH4j7M-XL.jpg

Soon enough we're in the mountains. Find a pullout and throw together some turkey sandwiches..

i-wWpv7HB-XL.jpg

To those who suggest the JK doesn't have the oomph for the mountains, yeah, it is pretty gutless, but I was able to keep up with traffic so can't really see the problem.

Again, in the interest of simplicity we end the day at a KOA in Durango. Nice place, clean showers and a known-quantity..

i-ZL37DmQ-XL.jpg

The kid gets his own tent this time..

i-X2PpVWF-XL.jpg

Tracy and I get OUR own tent this time..

i-kjnSpKq-XL.jpg

And I fix dinner..

DSC2358-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Up early again and after a quick stop to fill the cooler we head in the general direction of Canyon de Chelly..

New Mexico, Navajo Road 18, if memory serves..

i-5RqZKqq-XL.jpg

Funny thing is, we didn't even stop for any pics of Shiprock. Why escapes me.

Eventually we climb into the mountains along the New Mexico and Arizona border..

i-NhC3d4V-XL.jpg

Great roads. Wish I was on the motorcycle..

i-BkMTMkX-XL.jpg

i-Q398gKZ-XL.jpg

Coming down the West side, some nice red rock..

i-zbB9922-XL.jpg

i-cJRzvBV-XL.jpg

John

Box Rocket

I get excited when I see a new thread from you. Love the photos and that you're getting out as a family! Best way to explore by far! Can't wait to see more.

scarysharkface

Explorer
We didn't spend nearly as much time taking pictures as we did maintaining a dialogue about what we were seeing. Folks here live a simple life, in general, lacking so many of the things my son's generation takes for granted. He's got his nose buried in his iPod, cell phone or Game Boy whenever he can, while folks are living with dirt floors and, well, nothing for entertainment. He started to see that, and to recognize that we are quite material-rich.

We did take pics of Canyon de Chelly from one of the overlooks as we spoke about the people of the area.

i-6Fm67Pt-XL.jpg

My wife, Tracy, has been here before and could speak about some of the challenges and culture a little bit..

[video]http://www.indstate.edu/news/video.php?videoid=582[/video]

So we spent a bit of time looking and pondering and just generally being thankful that we can experience different things in our world..

DSC2362-XL.jpg

i-Pk4PMpW-XL.jpg

I've got to dig up Scott Brady's trip through the canyon, to see what this is like down there..

i-mNSHVfW-XL.jpg

We did spend time playing with photography, just enough to determine that Colin's camera is broken..

i-wQvZjC3-XL.jpg

We also chatted with a Navajo vendor, and Colin bought one of his necklaces..

i-r8vLRwj-XL.jpg

Soon enough we're back on the road..

i-VThTdxv-XL.jpg

Headed in the general direction of Monument Valley..

i-XjnBFbv-XL.jpg

John

Last edited:

scarysharkface

Explorer
Next up is Goosenecks State Reserve, just North of Mexican Hat, Utah..

Wish I'd gotten closer to the edge. Glad I didn't get closer to the edge.

i-GL9bPrZ-XL.jpg

i-FwS2kDJ-XL.jpg

A subtle thumbs-up from a 13-year-old is worth its weight in gold..

DSC2368-XL.jpg

i-nZRN6pz-XL.jpg

Cool, but hot. 103 degrees and no cover whatsoever, except for a steel structure at the overlook. We thought about camping here, but it wasn't going to happen tonight..

i-MnFHWF9-XL.jpg

i-xWL5F4H-XL.jpg

We moved on..

i-RbM5KvV-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Thanks, All, for the kind words. I recognize that for many this is just a variation on dragging the family out in the station wagon, and as you'll see we didn't spend ample time any one place. There are some elements of adventure to follow, and hopefully Colin will feel the pull of the old places as he comes into his own. He already wants a Jeep.

I'll post more, slowly, as I'm able to sort through what we've shot.

John

Renrag

Observer
I always enjoy your adventures as well.

There are some elements of adventure to follow, and hopefully Colin will feel the pull of the old places as he comes into his own. He already wants a Jeep.

Exactly why I take my girls out on what used to be solo trips. My 9yo is already showing signs of seeking adventure. I think I'll be jealous of the places she goes on her own......

mikE(the middle sister gets her first 'Dad trip' in two weeks to CO)

scarysharkface

Explorer
I always enjoy your adventures as well.

Exactly why I take my girls out on what used to be solo trips. My 9yo is already showing signs of seeking adventure. I think I'll be jealous of the places she goes on her own......

mikE(the middle sister gets her first 'Dad trip' in two weeks to CO)

Yeah! That's the beauty thing about it. My parents drug me around a bit when I was a kid and some of it stuck. Hopefully I can pay that forward and help the kids realize happiness comes from knowledge and context instead of money and things. I think they'll be okay, and maybe eventually want to drag old crusty Dad along on some of their forays.

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
For years I've wanted to ride down it on the motorcycle. It was fun driving up it in the Jeep.

i-SF52D9V-XL.jpg

This is where we came from. It was a neat approach.

DSC2381-XL.jpg

DSC2385-XL.jpg

What a beautiful world we live in.

i-vvhz7bx-XL.jpg

All hail the Moki Dugway!

DSC2394-XL.jpg

Tracy says I was enjoying myself.

DSC2390-XL.jpg

i-qwpNFbH-XL.jpg

We drive on across Cedar Mesa, I believe, but it's just going to be uncomfortably hot to camp. We're on vacation, so we head to Blanding and grab a chilly room there..

i-PQQnJDM-XL.jpg

We're near the A&W in the travel center, and big frosty mugs of root beer sound good. We order, pay extra for drinks other than water and then discover they're out of root beer.. It's still nice to sleep in a nice bed in a cool room..

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
It's a decent enough hour and the sun is climbing when we hit the road. I can't remember what we had for breakfast, although it was probably bagels and fruit.

A little squiggle leading to the Anticline Overlook interests me, so when we make it that far North I pull off to scope it out on the maps..

i-3xszGPH-XL.jpg

The landscape is ever-changing. Each mile holds a new visual treat, or several.

i-DBn6q5R-XL.jpg

DSC2395-XL.jpg

i-bWPCKhg-XL.jpg

i-xbx9qHj-XL.jpg

DSC2401-XL.jpg

I'm shooting with an ultra-wide zoom on the Canon, with a circular polarizer which does some interesting things (that I like) to the sky. Tracy's using something more telephoto on the Nikon..

i-B5mFhn4-XL.jpg

We have company..

DSC2412-XL.jpg

i-SpcDFtq-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Really couldn't ask for better weather this morning..

i-9NS6639-XL.jpg

Or better company..

DSC2420-XL.jpg

It feels good to get the Jeep covered in desert dust again.

i-8mNn7tQ-XL.jpg

Mounted a set of Wranger Silent Armor tires just before this trip. Tread looks useful yet highway-friendly, and the notion of kevlar belts seems good. I did also get a second spare for the trip. Peace of mind, and all..

i-dHfKbkv-XL.jpg

We're here and sign the book..

i-6rjbCwZ-XL.jpg

A small hike to the overlook, teenage rock star in-tow..

DSC2424-XL.jpg

I think we all took about 400 pictures of this..

i-dq29zSj-XL.jpg

The smiles are worth the effort.

i-NcbNJDf-XL.jpg

i-HpCs3w3-XL.jpg

DSC2430-XL.jpg

Optimism..

DSC2449-XL.jpg

DSC2439-XL.jpg

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members