Help with M416 mods

Trailfrog

Adventurer
Ok here is what I'm starting with
GEDC0846.JPG

GEDC0847.JPG

So I sold my popup camper and have about $1500 to spend on my M416 and or other equipment such as refrigerator, dual battery setup, etc. I would like to purchase used equipment if possible.

How would you spend the money? This is what I'm thinking I want to end up with

trailerdrawing-2.jpg

trailerdrawingsideview.jpg

Last edited:

shogun

Adventurer
IMNSHO, I would not;

1. Put a heavy or variable load in front of the box. The popular practice of batteries or water tanks there can play hell with CG. Heavy (batteries) means you need to offset weight behind axle, not easy. Variable (water) means that the CG will change significantly during use, requiring changing the load plan.

Put a 10 gal, lightweight propane tank there. It is a safe protected space that isnt too heavy and wont change enough to require new load plan.

2. Put fuel cans in front of fender. Two reasons; CG load in front of axle again, and thats where all the mud and rocks fly when driving.

The two most significant load items are water (8#/gal) and fuel (6#/gal). They are also the most efficient items you can use to trim the CG due to their density. Depending on hardware location (tent, spare tire etc) you will want to use these to trim the CG, all other (relatively light weight) items go in the space not used to trim. I'd recommend an interior rack system that allows you to tie them down in a range of locations to allow adjusting the CG. It also keeps your cans clean.

You could use ammo cans in front or behind the fenders to keep loose gear/tools. Water tight and heavy duty, easy access.

And yea, might want to move to trailer section...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online