builds for home built camper/trailers

My grandfather has passed down (for $350) his home built camper. it was built from plywood on an old lawn mower trailer. I don't have any pics of it yet, but here is a list of things i want to do.

recover roof (flat roofing tin?)
add one, maybe two, roof vents (no power yet so just the pop up style)
add some foam insulation to the interior roof
Flooring (carpet, sticky vinyl tile, rolled linoleum)
build a fold down bed frame for air mattress
add second window on opposite side for cross breeze
convert wooden door to a camper style screen door
cover exterior with siding (whats been used and tried? was thinking of using the sheets of plastic they sell for custom shower walls, the glue on kind...)
storage cabinets
fold out awning (wood supports with maybe a tarp or canvas stretching the gap) with fold out grill table underneath

future:
add battery bank with solar charger (one maybe two lights (in and out) and a single speaker radio)
out door shower holding tank on top no Grey water collection

I am looking for similar builds to research but have no idea what to search for. help pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Basically I am trying for a camper that lets you have a place to sleep and a dry place to wait out the rain. But camping is for time outdoors having a fire, talking with friends, relaxing with a beer under the shade, and I don't want something that makes you want to be inside more than out. basic necessities.
thanks
MHCK

I guess I'll have to get some pictures here this weekend when I go to pick it up. Once I get it home, I'll have to move quickly to get a good rough finished product. Im taking my little brother camping and also teaching him gun safety and proper use, and I would like to have a roof over my head when we are out there. The must do's for me are the new roof, and the fold down bed frame.

Here are some pics of what I am working with.

SANY2954.jpg

SANY2955.jpg

SANY2953.jpg

SANY2952.jpg

SANY2951.jpg

SANY2950.jpg

As you can see it has a single window that opens maybe four inches, a X skylight, and a single large door with a separate opening top section (no screen).

I was picking up some fencing for my garden and also picked up a free camper vent. It needs minor repair to the screen and a good cleaning but should work fine.

My cleaning steps, for the interior, are going to be;
bleach/water spray down
spot scrub where mold is visible
vacuum entire surface
let dry completely
a good spray down with a antimicrobial/mildew/mold cleaner killer
let dry and air out

For those of you with experience in used campers, what can you suggest for a good cleaner or tips for getting this thing mold free?

Next, I will be installing the roof vent. The best place for it seems to be in the rear of the camper (closest to the tongue) to pull the hot air closest to the sleeping area away faster. Agree? Disagree?

Finally, I also scored some roofing tar with my garden posts. The roof was originally done using tar and only leaks in a few places. I want to eventually use a roofing tin that is primmed and painted white, however I don't have funds for that right now. What problems might arise in attempting to use roofing tin over top of the tar? Am I going to have to remove the tar/replace the roof before putting the tin on?

These steps are only to make this road worthy for our trip next weekend. I have many other plans for this build but they must wait for money and time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles