Apple announces new MacBook Air laptop

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple's most portable model, the MacBook Air, just received a major update. The processor is 100-250% faster than the 2010 model, while prices remain the same.

There are four MacBook Air models, in two groups. The first group has an 11.6 inch, 1366x768 display and a 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. $1000 buys a model with 2 GB of memory, and a 64 GB solid state disk. Add $200 to upgrade to 4GB RAM and 128 GB disk. The onboard battery lasts about 5 hours. Weight is 2.4 lbs.

The second group upgrades to a 13.3 inch, 1440 x 900 screen, a 1.7 GHz i5 processor, and 4 GB RAM, price $1300. For $300 more, you can choose a 256 GB SSD. Models in this group get a larger battery, good for 7 hours of computing, and an SD card slot. Weight is 3 lbs.

The new MacBook Air comes with Apple's new MacOS X, called Lion. The new OS is supposed to add features found in Apple's iPhone and iPad, but I don't know details yet. All MacBook Air models feature an aluminum case, 2 USB ports, a FaceTime camera, and a new high speed port developed by Intel called Thunderbolt. We'll see monitors and external hard drives compatible with Thunderbolt soon.

The $1000 MacBook Air is now Apple's least expensive portable computer. The white plastic MacBook model has been discontinued.

Here is Apple's page describing the new models
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Scott Brady

Founder
My favorite laptop too. I just love the 13" and hook it to a 27" cinema display.

I also just installed Lion on the machine. So far a nice upgrade

Scott Brady

Founder
I wonder how Aperture will run on the 13". It's time to replace my Macbook Pro.

Aperture runs ok on my 13" MBA. I think you will love the machine Pete. It is seriously my favorite computer of all time. Once they hit 8gb of RAM, a 500gb SSD and a touch screen display it will be perfect.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Aperture runs ok on my 13" MBA. I think you will love the machine Pete. It is seriously my favorite computer of all time. Once they hit 8gb of RAM, a 500gb SSD and a touch screen display it will be perfect.

How's the raw processing? I have to admit that even my March08 build Macbook Pro is slick for processing raw.

Pete

Scott Brady

Founder
It seems to do ok, which is why I think the i7 will make you happy. I shut other apps down and just run aperture when doing heavy image work. The benefits of super light weight and small package are so nice. I might even go 11" next time.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Closing all apps before processing raw is pretty much my normal flow today so no change there....

I just read the bench tests on the new MBA. The new 13" MBA beats a 17" MB Pro on Geekbench. Very impressive.

The 11" MBA shows a 149% performance improvement.

But the big question: How much extra HP will an ExPo sticker add to it?

Scott Brady

Founder
But the big question: How much extra HP will an ExPo sticker add to it?

I put an Overland Journal oval decal on it. Sexxxy ;)
285182_10150381924438275_640113274_10472714_7965806_n.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
I've been tempted to add some stickers to mine, but feel like I shouldn't. I'd probably get tired of the stickers, remove them and have the sticky gook left over.

chrismc

Adventurer
Also announced with little fanfare was an updated Mac Mini. The updated Mini has significantly increased performance specs, and the higher-end model is available with a solid state disk in place of a conventional hard drive (no moving parts, at a price). The Mini is a popular option for a Mac-based car-puter when paired with an LCD touchscreen monitor, and the latest version of it will work better than ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online