Lion

greg mgm

Explorer
How would you guys rate using a trackpad with Lion? Is it something that is a cool gadget, a irreplaceable tool, or just a fun way to navigate?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Track Pad is the only way to get all the gestures to work. I have an iMac and an MBP - so I use the track pad for consistency but also use a magic mouse to compliment the pad. It's nice to be able to hold it in your hand, off the desk, while doing simple stuff. Leaning back in the chair relaxed vs. the normal computer position is a real bonus for the personal time vs. work time computer duties.

chrismc

Adventurer
How would you guys rate using a trackpad with Lion? Is it something that is a cool gadget, a irreplaceable tool, or just a fun way to navigate?

I have an older MacBookPro that doesn't support any of the newfangled gestures that use more than two fingers. I guess they might be fun/useful, but I'm not missing anything. I have no plans to add a trackpad- I definitely don't need more crap on my desk.

greg mgm

Explorer
Did the upgrade yesterday, which went flawless. About 45 minutes to download and 25 to install. Didn't have to do anything really. 'puter works fine....no issues. The change in scrolling is different but I'm giving it a try. Mail is definitely a different look, just have to get used to it.

BrianTN

Adventurer
After some usage, I like Lion so far. I'm digging the new scrolling, look of iCal and Mail. Right now I have my Time Machine, external and MacBook Air encrypted. Do I need to? Probably not :xxrotflma . The only drawback so far is I can no longer have my encrypted backups on my network to access the data wherever in my home.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Just installed it, downloaded it last night while I was sleeping installed this morning while I was surfing. It works perfect, photoshop CS5 worked without issue. Love the new Safari gestures and it looks awesome. Seems snappier, will report on how it works with RAW photos. I also love the fullscreen options on my 13" macbook. I'm happy.

RobRed

Explorer
Guys... most of the new fangled features can be reverted to Leopard style, like scrolling or Safari behavior, no problem. Also the drive status can be viewed (like leopard) by activating the "status bar" option in the View menu of the folder.

astn

Observer
Something I find annoying is with Mission Control. I used to have certain programs assigned to certain Spaces, but I can't seem to do that with Mission Control. So instead of opening a program and have everything organized automatically, I have to manually switch the desktop with a 2x finger swipe, then open the program.
You can still assign applications to desktops, by right-clicking on the app in your dock and under more options assign the space.

I also think the old implementation of spaces was much better and easier to use as well. Most of the rest is a wash, and will improve slightly in the next point release. I think Lion could have been a much better product if they weren't pushing the Mac as a bigger iOS device, but Jobs hasn't asked for my opinion lately (well, ever.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz