Lion

Scott Brady

Founder
So far a nice upgrade, but they reversed the scrolling method. Everything that once scrolled up now scrolls down - maddening, but the new method actually makes more sense.

It is like the window switched from the Disco I to Disco II - it is all so confusing. . .

Anyone else find goofiness with the new OS?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I changed the scrolling back - drove me nuts! It's an option in system prefs.

I also noticed that it needs a three finger wipe for forward and back in Firefox. Like the new 4 finger swipe for on the desktop to move between desktops.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
So is there a cheat-sheet that tells you what the 1,289 different 'swipes' do?

One/two/three finger swipe left/right = ?
One/two/three finger swipe up/down = ?
One/two/three finger swipe bottom/left to top/right with a counterclockwise circle in the middle followed by a left handed 4-finger pinch with a right handed 'expressional finger' gesture = ?

haven

Expedition Leader
Look under Trackpad in Preferences for the list of what action is assigned to each gesture. No doubt Apple will sell a lot of trackpads in response to Lion's support for gestures.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I'm going to see if I get used to the new scrolling and if not switch back.

One thing I have noticed is when I am running with my MBP attached to my Cinema Display and I open the laptop the screen on the laptop activates. It didn't use to, but maybe I changed some config option pre Lion and I just need to figure out what it was to make the screen stay blank. I only open the laptop when the fans are going for a while since there is air intake around the keyboard.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Well, so far I like it for the most part. Something I find annoying is with Mission Control. I used to have certain programs assigned to certain Spaces, but I can't seem to do that with Mission Control. So instead of opening a program and have everything organized automatically, I have to manually switch the desktop with a 2x finger swipe, then open the program.

And so far I don't like Resume opening up Safari with whatever webpage I last visited. I prefer Safari to open with a blank page.

Has anyone tried FileVault 2 yet? I'd like to use it for my Air and to encrypt my external backup via Time Machine. Does anyone know if this is possible? Can a wireless printer be used with FileVault 2?

Last edited:

greg mgm

Explorer
Being used to PC's I'm wondering how the upgrade could effect my old Canon printer driver and Final Cut Express. Any compatibility issues I need to know about before the change? Will Lion warn me about issues before or during the upgrade? I assume all photos and video will still be there afterwards.

Scott Brady

Founder
Being used to PC's I'm wondering how the upgrade could effect my old Canon printer driver and Final Cut Express. Any compatibility issues I need to know about before the change? Will Lion warn me about issues before or during the upgrade? I assume all photos and video will still be there afterwards.

The upgrade was flawless for me.

Another annoyance, when selecting a drive, it no longer shows the available space on the bottom.

chrismc

Adventurer
Has anyone tried FileVault 2 yet? I'd like to use it for my Air and to encrypt my external backup via Time Machine. Does anyone know if this is possible? Can a wireless printer be used with FileVault 2?

I encrypted my MacBook Pro with FileVault 2 yesterday. It works very well and allows Time Machine backups to run while you're logged in. CNET has a good article about FileVault 2 (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20081045-263/about-filevault-2-in-os-x-10.7-lion/) and how it works better and is more secure than its predecessor. I haven't figured out yet if Time Machine backups are encrypted by default or not, or how to set that up. I have read references that the backup volumes can be encrypted, even using separate keys from the main volume.

chrismc

Adventurer

There is a thorough list of app compatibility at roaringapps.com. FCE 4 is listed as ok, but I have no idea about the print driver. I know that each successive version of Mac OS X seems to have better printer support, in my experience.

There is a HUGE app compatibility issue that everyone should be aware of before upgrading:
Older applications built for the PowerPC architecture DO NOT WORK in Lion, and there is no workaround. You cannot uninstall the Lion upgrade, your only option is to wipe the Mac and reinstall a fresh copy of Snow Leopard. There was a compatibility layer built into previous OS X versions called "Rosetta" that is now gone. I was caught off-guard by this, and lost some apps that were very valuable to me. I've found new apps to replace all but one, but this was a pain I wasn't expecting. If you have apps that are not very new or that you have a lot of time/money invested in, be SURE to check Lion compatibility before upgrading (roaringapps.com).

smbisig

Adventurer
Because I am a deadline photographer, I have to wait until all my required software works for sure. Reading some of the photography forums I am finding that some are having issues with 3rd part photography software. So unfortunately, I have to wait.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Very elegant OS. I can see this paving the way for a powerful user interface / system consistency so that the iPad can move on to the level of the old MacBooks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94