Nice folding charcoal starting chimney

NothingClever

Explorer
Along the same note, here's a cheaper alternative to the ultra-chic Snow Peak barbecues.

I haven't bought / used it but it looks pretty trick, IYAM.

"Charcoal grill: Stainless steel - Height-adjustable (3 levels) - Grate with removable handle - Stand - Charcoal bag: Nylon with water-proof internal coating - For one portion of charcoal - Can be stored inside the packed charcoal grill - Press lock (charcoal not included) - Carrier bag: Nylon with water-proof internal coating - Adjustable shoulder strap and with shoulder pad - Touch fastener"

The stand it's on is the lid that snaps on when the grill is folded up.

BBQ300S_01_aufgebaut.jpg

-
[video]http://4-seasons.tv/extern/produktnews-esbit-bbq-box[/video]
-
About U$D92 from the UK. Even after shipping, you're still ahead of the $180 Snow Peak. True, you don't get the little guy on a horse on your chest but I'm sure the bratwurst and shrimp won't know the difference.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Yes. I looked at the Snowpeak grill too, but wasn't really impressed. If I was going to buy the big iron grill table kit, it would make sense, as the Snowpeak grill integrates into that system. However, the whole table system was just too bulky and heavy and doesn't really fit with the way I camp.

After considering a number of options, I ended up with the Volcano grill

http://www.volcanogrills.com/

So far, I really like it.

charcoal.png

Sawyer

Adventurer
I would love to hear some review on it. I like the idea.... but looking at just the pictures in the link and am curious how it stays square and what keeps the handle in place when in use... I.e. what keeps it from folding up when you go to remove it and burning your hand.... While I have SP gear.... I havnt been able to justify the high price for the SP version and have been looking for something like this.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I found this excellent charcoal starting chimney.

Unlike most others, it folds flat for storage.

It's well made, and is $40.

I used it last night to start my charcoal. Works great.

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/bbq/sand-bar/index.html

Just curious, did you have any problems getting the charcoal out in the corners to start we well or as fast as in the center? Intuitively, I would guess that might be a disadvantage of the square shape vs. the traditional round charcoal chimney.

I do love the idea though - the standard round charcoal starter is a pain to pack efficiently.

ssssnake529

Explorer
The inside grate folds down and locks in place. That's what keeps its shape when it is unfolded and in use. No issues with it collapsing and burning your hand.

As for cleaning, I just give it a couple of shakes and taps and it's clean enough to pack in my bag with the grill. Haven't noticed any charcoal accumulation in the corners.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I too have been looking at those folding chimney for a while. A buddy of mine has one and really enjoys it.

You can't go wrong with a Volcano grill, we have been using ours (ours sold under the Camp Chef brand) for several years.

DSC_4390.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz