Internal water storage

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I am looking for some internal water storage for my FJ 60.

I currently have a Front runner 50 litre upright tank mounted against the Milford barrier and a Flexitank bladder in the rear inside quarter panel.

I should add that I have removed the back seat so I have plenty of space.

I am undecided between two Front Runner 27 Liter Canvas Water Bladders at
$ 80.00 = 160.00 or the Front Runner 40 Liter Footwell Water Tank
$210.00

The bladders would be cheaper and hold a little more water.
I could remove the bladders and hang them up to use and carry them to a water source.

The tank would be more durable.

Anyone use either and have any acquired knowledge as to pros and cons?

Attachments

• FR Water Bladder 2.jpg
    FR Water Bladder 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 24
  • FR Footwell Tank 1.jpg
    FR Footwell Tank 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 30

bondvagabond

Observer
water water everywhere

I am in a similar predicament with my International Scout Traveler build( It is a factory 18" stretch on a scout 2 body) probably similar in interior space to your rig.

Like all these mods though, who travels with you and how you travel really relates to this question.

My wife is tough on gear, so I am into the ridged water containers all the way. We like to take multi-week trips in the desert with the two of us and two 90lb dogs. I don't like to put anyone on rations and I sleep way better while camping if I can take a navy shower before bed. I picked up a 23gallon vertical rv tank at a garage sale for 10 bucks.

with something as important as water, it is good to diversify. So we have at least one 5 gallon jerry can, and I am a big fan of having two identical size portable water containers for symetrical carrying. Make sure they are small enough that you can carry both, it really makes a difference when you have to carry them more than a few yards from your water source to top up the big truck mounted tanks. Your back will thank you.

I do fantasize about an overbuilt water bladder with like kevlar or something, because it would be nice to regain space as you use up water. In this economy, I will sometimes legally grab firewood on the way home from camping, so our vacation gas expenses does double duty. I really strong bladder would be great in this instance.

We are going to phase into smaller dogs eventually, think how much longer our water load will last then :)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks I have the Jerry cans. The RV tank sounds interesting but might be a little large.

beast1210

Adventurer
I too have the jerry cans, but the front well 40 looks great, it might fit my international terra just behind the seat before the bulk head, the residual heat from the transmission would warm it up nicely during the day,for a nice warm shower at camp.

Bogo

Adventurer
Scepter type plastic jerry cans all the way for me. I know how much I'm using so I can easily keep track of supplies on hand. If one gets punctured, I only loose 5 gallons. I've thought of getting a few 5 gallon bladders as they could fit into some odd shaped low down spaces that the jerry cans can't fit in. I have 6 water jerry cans for myself so I'm not to worried about more capacity right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94