Cot warmth

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Yep, a good closed cell foam matt helps a lot when camping in cold weather.

I made the mistake of using a queen size air mattress one fall. I ended up deflating it, and putting over the top of my blankets for more warmth!!

S

Squatchout

I'm a busted up old fart about your size with aching old bones. I finally gave up on the backpacking stuff a couple of years ago for most of my camping. A friend gave me an XL cot he didn't use anymore after hearing me talk about wanting one.
Picture042Small.jpg

I added an REI 3.5" XL size self inflating sleeping pad and can't say enough good things about it. Self inflaters are the best of both worlds air mattress and foam insulation. I have a couple of old Thermarest 3/4" pads that are nice but they are no comparison to the 3.5". It's almost as comfy as my bed at home.
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad
Picture043Small.jpg

That was so nice I decided I had had enough of squeezing in a tight mummy and found this bag on sale at Campmor early last spring.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42089
Picture045Small.jpg

I've used the pad for over a year now and it's warm, warm. I've only had the combo with the sleeping bag down to around 30 degrees but spent 1/2 of those nights with the bag mostly unzipped to keep from getting too hot. Hope this helps.

On a cot the size you are looking for you might like this idea. Several years ago I sewed 2 flat double bed sheets together across the bottom and about 2' up each side. I sometimes use 2 rectangular sleeping bags like the one above zipped together with this sheet bag liner inside. Double bed. It makes a nice clean place to sleep and you can flip the bag open and still be covered by the sheet if it gets warm. The sleeping bags will hang down a little on each side of the cot and makes kind of an insulated skirt for the cot which also helps keep the cold air from underneath. It gives you a little more sprawl room. Most sleeping bags are about 30-34' wide used as a single and those cots are around 40" you are looking at. Plenty of room why not use it.

Last edited:

Salue

Adventurer
I use the same REI 3.5" sleeping pad as Squatchout but use it on a CampTime Roll-A-Cot:
roll-a-cot1.jpg

They have the cot in regular and XL size. The reason I chose this cot is it's lightweight(10lbs) and it is pretty compact when disassembled(the bag they hang on the side of the cot is what it rolls into). Plus it's made in Washington state!

When I use this combo with my mummy sleeping bag, I have always been too hot! I have to sleep with the bag open.

Good luck with your search!

Salue

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I have the Cabela's XL cot, very comfy. Downside...it's frickin huge. In a pinch, two people can sleep on one of the XL cots. I use a polyester blanket or extra sleeping bag as a pad. In the colder weather we have a Mr. Buddy heater...

I use the same REI 3.5" sleeping pad as Squatchout but use it on a CampTime Roll-A-Cot:

Awesome for bringing this one up. How comfortable is this cot long-term? Keeping things lightweight as much as possible is important to me. I'm considering workamping while at REI. I may move from store to store several months to a year at a time so that I can get to see lots of the country and still make a living. I want to get a custom trailer built for me. I need to keep it lightweight, have plenty of room (no fixed furniture like chairs, tables, beds, etc.), insulation for winter use, no carpet, etc. This might be happening in about 14 months. I'm excited about this, by the way!

matt s

Explorer
CampTime Roll-A-Cot:
roll-a-cot1.jpg

Good luck with your search!

Salue

Have to second the roll a cot. Very well made, comfortable and no bars at the head and feet. This is a significant improvement over other cots IMO. Also the spacing of the legs allows for the cot to fit over most wheel wheels. I plan on buying a second one soon.

Salue

Adventurer
Awesome for bringing this one up. How comfortable is this cot long-term? Keeping things lightweight as much as possible is important to me. I'm considering workamping while at REI. I may move from store to store several months to a year at a time so that I can get to see lots of the country and still make a living. I want to get a custom trailer built for me. I need to keep it lightweight, have plenty of room (no fixed furniture like chairs, tables, beds, etc.), insulation for winter use, no carpet, etc. This might be happening in about 14 months. I'm excited about this, by the way!

I've had the Roll-a-Cot for 3 seasons now and won't go back to an air mattress. The reasons I picked this over other cots is because of how light weight it is as well as how compact it stores relative to other cots. Plus, when I am camping and I know the weather won't be below freezing, I just leave the sleeping pad at home and just sleep on the cot in my mummy bag.
Can't say enough good things about all the Camp Time products; I even have their roll-a-table and the roll-a-chair....All great products!

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I place a survival blanket shiny side up on my cot when the weather is close to freezing. Sleeping warm is about insulation and staying dry.

DO us a sleeping bag pad: If you don't have an insulating pad under your bag add 30 degrees to the temperature rating for heat loss due to convection.

Don't sleep fully dressed, you will sweat and be cold.

Do change into clean clothes before sleeping: The shirt you wore all day is damp from sweat, even if its cold out.

Actually, the temperature rating on sleeping bags ASSUME that you're using a sleeping pad and wearing one set of long underwear and a hat. If you don't sleep on a pad, you lose the rating for the most part. Keep in mind that you would not have the insulation from cold air underneath you because you're compressing the fill material between you and the cot, taking out the air space that would be used to insulate you.

Photog

Explorer
Actually, the temperature rating on sleeping bags ASSUME that you're using a sleeping pad and wearing one set of long underwear and a hat. If you don't sleep on a pad, you lose the rating for the most part. Keep in mind that you would not have the insulation from cold air underneath you because you're compressing the fill material between you and the cot, taking out the air space that would be used to insulate you.

That is why attaching a down blanket to the underside of the cot makes sense. The insulation does not get compressed. And a down blanket takes up less space, when packed away, than most sleeping pads. It also weighs less than most sleeping pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior