PHH - is there an ULTIMATE solution?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Going to replace the belts and hoses when I get back to Alaska. Want to address the PHH prior to taking off. Since this job is such a bear, is there a solution that is deemed 'the best'? Planning a fluid change etc. and really don't want to have to address this on the Alaska Highway or the Cassiar. Anyone done anything other than a stock replacement and have had it in place for more than couple of years?

Thanks for the input!

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I know I'm not alone in having done the hose bypass. I've had mine done a year or two, can't remember. I know others have had it in place for more time. Total peace of mind, I don't foresee any issues, and when it comes time to replace it again, it'll take me 10 minutes instead of 4 hours.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I also did the bypass. Just do it. It WILL take the 4 hours no matter what, (unless the Keebler elves do it for you), but once done, you won't have to worry.

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
I also did the by-pass and it does take some time, I forget how long it took me but it was around 4hrs as well. I got my kit for AJIK Overland Exchange, it uses Gates green stripe hose. Top quality.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I still run the factory PHH but I do carry a bypass hose and clamps. I did promise myself on my next coolant sevice to take the time and install the bypass.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Ultimate solution for me would be 4.7l...:ylsmoke:
It's a bear and I would also recommend bypass...or just put in a new engine like some people:)...you have a bit better access with the motor out...

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info Dave!

I just ordered the work around kit today. I'll muster up the courage to do the job and enjoy the peace of mind prior to a 4500K mile trip out of Alaska! Sure don't want to do a PHH job on the side of the road in giant bear country...

http://www.1fzfephh.com/

Last edited:

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
My OEM PHH lasted 150K and looked fine when it was replaced. If it has to be done every 150K I'm not going to worry about looking for an alternative.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Did the Blue Synthetic PHH replacement about 2 years ago. Back then, i think i only saw one person do the bypass. If i were to do it again today... i'd do the complete bypass.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
By-Pass

Going to jump on this project in a few days - ordered the by pass from AJIK.

JINX: If I do the bypass, what is the time consuming portion? Removing the metal pipe? It *SEEMS* like the head nipple is a straight shot out of the head, so sliding a hose on should not be too tricky - maybe the hose clamp is the hard part. If the the metal pip is in place, but bent out of the way, the by pass hose would go out and under the master cylinder bending back to the heater connection. Surly this major project cannot be made that simple, so what am I missing? I have a great a garage to use for this task, but only for a couple hours. I care nothing about the metal pipe since having the bypass hose.
:coffee:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I am with you. I have both the PHH work around and blue PHH still undecided as to which one I will use. Maybe I'll see which route you choose and how it goes. :)

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
FWIW, we only use Toyota hose and not Gates. We have used some Gates hose in fuel applications and it lasted a year. If the stock PHH last 150k plus miles, just replace it with stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles