Paella Valenciana - Spanish rice

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
When Mambo's first opened (at the time I lived about 3 blocks away and made it a point to be there on opening day) they had lunch specials and each day the lunch special was a surprise - whatever the husband (the chef, the wife ran the place and the son worked there too - really nice people) decided to make that day. Usually at least once a week he'd make paella. Awesome!

Since the building was a converted gas station, people were leery of it and it took quite a while for the place to become popular. I used to go there for lunch and have the whole place to myself. I'd down the lunch special, purchase one of the "special" cigars from the stash under the counter (not on the menu or out in the open, but once they got to know me...), and sit outside smoking and drinking espresso Cubano.

Then Jonathan Gold gave it a rave review and the Hollywood/Burbank crowd discovered it, and now good luck even getting in the door at lunch time. Aw well.

Great paella though! Dunno if they still make it - every time I've been in the area the place is packed so I've just passed on by. Haven't been there in some years. One of these days I'll drive by and there will be a parking spot and I'll drop in.

http://mambosla.com/

I love paella!

Idlehour

Observer
Drool.... Perfect timing to whet the appetite.

I have paella negro(squid ink) ordered at a local place for Friday. :sombrero:

psykokid

Explorer
mmmm... paella, love me some good paella.. A friend that was living here from spain for a couple of years got me hooked on paella, Tortilla española, Croquetas, and Jamón ibérico.. His brother was coming over to visit one time and got about 100 euro of Jamon siezed at customs. Needless to say my friend was not very happy. His parents never had a problem bringing in Jamon oddly enough when they came to visit..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles