Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
new Mahindra pickup for Australia

Mahindra & Mahindra has launched a new version of its utility vehicle, the "Pik-Up," in Australia. Pickuptrucks.com has more information

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/07/australian-mahindra-pickup-looks-very-close-to-us-truck.html

The interior of the new Pik-Up is reported to be very similar to the USA version (we'll get left hand drive, of course). The USA launch of the new brand is less than 5 months away.

There's no sign of updated photos on the USA Mahindra web site http://www.mahindrana.com

The web site does list the vehicle's advantages, including
2.2L diesel, 6 speed automatic, 4x4
30 mpg in highway driving
4 wheel ABS
electronic stability control
traction control
7 foot cargo bed (standard cab model)
payload 2,765 pounds
towing capacity 5,000
4-year 60,000 mile, bumper-to-bumper warranty

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Mahindra & Mahindra has launched a new version of its utility vehicle, the "Pik-Up," in Australia. Pickuptrucks.com has more information...

Ironic. I ran into one in the Blue Mountains above Sydney Australia this afternoon. We arrived to the parking lot for a overlook hike and I notice this truck in the parking lot that looked 'different' (all relative when everything is different here vehicle-wise). It was a new Mahindra Pickup.

From our afternoon adventures...

Attachments

• aussie3 026 (Medium).jpg
    aussie3 026 (Medium).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 334
  • aussie3 027 (Medium).jpg
    aussie3 027 (Medium).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 272

haven

Expedition Leader
Mahindra and Mahindra announced that the start of production of the USA
version of the diesel "Pik-Up" has been pushed back to December 2009.
Initially, M&M will build the "Pik-Up" in India. Add the time to ship the
vehicles from India to USA, and it's likely that vehicles won't be available for
sale here until February 2010. That's more than a year later than originally
planned.

This news will not make dealers who signed up to sell the vehicle happy.
Here's hoping that they air-ship a couple of demonstrator models to USA
in late December.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/mahindra-pickup-delayed-until-february-2010.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Autoblog has a good collection of images of the recent
versions of the Mahindra pickup. The interior of the vehicle
we receive will be updated, but the exterior will look a lot
like these photos. I like the standard cab's appearance more
than the crew cab.

mahindra-pickup-1.jpg

The bed is 7 feet long, and the cargo capacity is 2600 lbs.
The drivetrain of a 2.2L diesel engine, 5 speed automatic
and 4x4 is reported to get 30 mpg on the highway. Sounds
like a good adventure travel platform to me. Too bad the
emissions system will require ultra-low sulfur diesel.

Here's the link to the photos
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/mahindra-pik-up/#2

haven

Expedition Leader
"most current diesels can be modified to delete the DPF..."

I think this is necessary only when you're traveling to Mexico and
points south, where ULSD is not readily available. Certainly, a modified
emissions system will be flagged by the annual smog test required
in many states before you can renew your registration.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mike Levine of Pickuptrucks.com recently interviewed John Perez, the CEO of GV-USA. GV-USA is the company importing the Mahindra & Mahindra pickup. Read the report here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/us-importer-says-mahindra-pickup-has-come-a-long-way.html

Also included is a photo of the pickup with USA bumpers.
mahindra-usatrim.jpg

In response to reader comments, Mike says he expects the pickup to be priced between $22K (for a rear wheel drive standard cab) to $28K (for a 4x4 double cab). GV-USA has signed up dealers for all states except Alaska and Hawaii.

I think the entry level Mahindra should be priced below $20K. There are lots of new full size V6 and even V8 pickups offered by USA manufacturers for less than $20K, less than $18K in some cases.

Mahindra's decision to build the pickups in India for the time being reduces GV-USA's startup costs and improves quality control. But there's a 25% tax when importing utility vehicles built outside North America. So GV-USA will pay $5000 in taxes on each Mahindra truck they import.

The 25% tax is the primary reason all those great pickups built in Thailand are not imported to USA. The Mercedes Sprinter is built in Germany, disassembled, shipped to USA, and reassembled in South Carolina before delivery to Dodge dealers -- all to avoid the 25% tax. At some point, Mahindra will have to do the same.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Is anyone else getting the feeling it's not going to happen? The company that is importing the Mahindra also tried to import a Romanian SUV a few years back but I cant think of the name of the vehicle, something like the Arro? Anyway they had a whole dealer network signed up and money was paid to the importer. Then the whole thing went away only to reappear now with the the Mahindra. I sure hope I am wrong because a truck like this would be a welcome addition to the competition.

Ah, it was the Crosslander from Romania, this would have been great to have in the US.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106327

norshor

Observer
Is anyone else getting the feeling it's not going to happen? The company that is importing the Mahindra also tried to import a Romanian SUV a few years back but I cant think of the name of the vehicle, something like the Arro? Anyway they had a whole dealer network signed up and money was paid to the importer. Then the whole thing went away only to reappear now with the the Mahindra. I sure hope I am wrong because a truck like this would be a welcome addition to the competition.

Ah, it was the Crosslander from Romania, this would have been great to have in the US.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106327

The same thing was running through my head when I saw your post. I really wish that the Cross Lander had made it to the market.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
$22k for a standard cab, 2wd, is not going to get people into the dealerships to buy one of these. The base Tacoma 2wd is just over $15k and is rated at 26 mpg highway, so really, why would you spend $7k more for a Mahindra? I was all over the idea of this truck, but the more I see it and now reading about the pricing, I'm not so interested.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Once you actually see it in person----its a complete non starter

it does not compete in anyway with a Toy-Nissan-US manufactured truck

I saw lots in Sri lanka- unless it was 1/2 the price I don't see it making an impact in the US- diesel or not

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com got to drive two Mahindra & Mahindra models in Atlanta recently. The report is here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/taj-mahauler-we-drive-the-mahindra-diesel-pik-up.html

Neither of the trucks is configured the same as the USA version will be, but they provided a positive impression. The author writes, "What we found was that parts of the trucks managed to only live up to our low expectations, but we also came away impressed -- no, stunned really -- by how well the trucks are setup in certain areas."

The author roundly criticizes the pickup's interior fit and finish. (The interior is not the same as the one planned for USA.) He liked the road manners and the diesel performance with the 5 speed manual transmission. "Overall, ride quality and noise, vibration and harshness is very competitive with current U.S. midsize pickups, if not superior to some."

Next up, the Scorpio SUV. Here the interior was much more harmonious and better screwed together. But the handling of the SUV was too sloppy, and the engine occasionally had too much turbo lag. Again, this vehicle is not the same as the model that will be imported next year.

All Mahindra models will have a 6 speed automatic when the showrooms open for business next February. But there's a chance the 5 speed manual will be an option later.

The author concludes that if the new Mahindra models for USA can live up to the advertised 30 mpg highway, 2600 lb carrying capacity and 5000 lb towing, then they will find buyers looking for a work truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne