If you could fish any river in CA this weekend, which would you choose?

davidv

Observer
The super high flows of the record winter run off has kept me off the river this summer. It time to chase fish.

Any suggestions of where to find the best action?

flywgn

Explorer
I've always been partial to the Owens River below Pleasant Valley Resevoir, especially when runoffs are problematic.

This time of year hoppers and mouserats under those cutbanks can lead to monumental tussles with browns.

Have fun no matter where you choose.

Allen R

GP'd

Adventurer
Could always head to the Mammoth Lakes area. Hit Convict, Hot Creek... list goes on there.

I was up there on the 4th weekend and the water was so high and fast by Devil's Postpile that we could barely wade. We caught a few there as well as Convict Creek, but nymphing Hot Creek gave us the best results. Strangely we only saw 3-4 other people both days we were there.

I'm dying to get back up there. Where Allen suggested has been on my list for some time now.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Buddy of mine just sent me a picture of 2 monsters he caught on the sacramento up out of Red Bluff

If I was fishing, personally I am stuck on Eagle Lake Trout up near Susanville Ca. Best tasting fish there is IMO.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I would go with a spring-fed creek since the water levels of most of the snow-fed creeks and rivers are still high. Hot Creek near Mammoth, Hat Creek near Burney, or my favorite--the Fall River--near Fall River Mills would be my choices. Tailwaters may be another good choice as they may be restricting flows enough to make them fishworthy. The East Walker near Bridgeport is one of the best tailwaters in CA. That is of course if you don't have a problem catching huge brown trout ;)

Cheers,
Greg

flywgn

Explorer
... The East Walker near Bridgeport is one of the best tailwaters in CA. That is of course if you don't have a problem catching huge brown trout ;)

Cheers,
Greg

I agree. A 7wt rod at minimum. I usually take an 8wt there and I've seen others with 10wts. There are some B-I-G browns in that river. Don't be afraid to use big tippets and leaders. When I drag a streamer through some of those deeper pools I've got 15-lb leader on. If I'm fishing dries (my preference) I go lighter but still in the 4lb range.

Allen R

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Like I said, the Sacramento River is doing great. small streams are awesome so you could fish any of the good ones like Hat Creek, Deer Creek, Mill Creek. Fall River is good and they all empty into the Sac
These 2 take off the Sac a few days ago

286650_182211798515070_100001787522325_439622_3283657_o.jpg

Hafwit

Adventurer
My buddy is off to Bridgeport to fish the East Walker River this weekend. If he has a positive report, I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Greg

Hafwit

Adventurer
East Walker/Bridgeport

My buddy fished both the reservoir and East Walker River and said that both spots were full of action with 30+ fish days (all caught and released) on flies exclusively.

Cheers,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles