Best truck for the Apocalypse?

jay3253

Adventurer
I am not asking what is the best overlanding vehicle I am asking that when mad max is picking a car what does he pick? Reliable (Toyota) or Parts are abundant (Jeep)? If you had to pick one for the end of time that would have to last for the next 50 years what would it be?

D

Deleted member 9101

Something with a carbed 350 and th350 or 400 automatic. Parts are literally all over the place and interchangeability is insane.

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Easy! My username answers that question :sombrero:

Only I'd ditch the turbo and and the electronic DS4 injection pump for a naturally asperated 6.2/6.5 with the mechanical IP and do a waste veggie oil conversion. You can even get these things to run on used engine oil (properly processed, of course). Any Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban with the old diesel. Or even a K model Pickup with a camper shell, though less stealthy than an SUV...the camper might be a zombie magnet:yikes:

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel/WVO conv. would be equally if not more apocalypse appropriate...then join a very large community of well-armed friendlies :REOutShootinghunter

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Interesting Thread, However

While you ponder the below response, remember during such a happening there will be those who will do any thing to get what you have! The following are but a few of the real world issues one would face!

First, there will be a need to fuel such a vehicle and it's doubtful any fuel stops would be open and operating for your benefit. How would you cover this important issue?

Yep, lots of parts in those heaps of exploded and burned buildings and contents that used to be auto parts stores, just dig em out and hope they fit or work. Would it be easy or?

Tires would be an issue because of all the broken glass twisted steel and whatever else might find its way on to the roadway and even off road. Got it covered where the tire meets the road or what used to be the road?

Reality, within 3 to 5 days of the happening most major metro areas will have run out of fuel, food and any other item for that matter.

Rural and remote areas will be unwelcome areas for all but locals.

In desperate times people do desperate and un-speakable things to survive and you might even look like a good meal to some so which truck to have really seems so un-important. Yes, they will fight over the light/dark meat early on then soon after that light/dark becomes so un-important and in a pile.

Any truck you might happen upon that runs and has fuel would be a good start, however you would need to take it! Got what it takes?

Lucky if you can find a live horse, mule or donk to haul your survival gear, ammo, guns or whatever else considered important at a time of great suffering, then you have to feed it or eat it then carry your own s___ which will you be able to do?

Just some thoughts of what to look forward too!

Patman

Explorer
A 4x converted grumman frito lay van.

Mechanical 4bt set up for veggie with a huge tank and a selfsustained "refinery"

Sm465 4 speed

Lots of armor, good bull....err..Zombie bar

Solar on the roof for as long as it lasts

Running 24 bolt hummvee runflats with special service tires.

Some crazy tazer like alarm for theives. Etc.

Most important, survial instinct. To what extreme all depends on the specific apocalyptic event.

bfdiesel

Explorer
high ho silver and away!!!

I for one would like to be light, mobile, and carry a big stick... a big boom stick.

An older diesel would be a good choice for its fuel diversity you could run anything oily. However filters I imagine are not readily available so that will be a big problem. A deuce would be set up already to run anything, but would be large, slow and parts would be harder to get.

Run flats would be required for quick escapes in rough broken terrain.

I personally would probably want a mule. A little hardier than a horse and better in rough terrain. And they come pre-equipt with run flats.:)

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Take your pick:

madmax.jpg

LoneWolf.jpg

WezFaceoff.jpg

You're welcome! :D

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would throw a vote in for a truck like my 1992 Dodge.

-Mechanically injected turbo diesel that will run on lots of 'alternatives'
-Manual transmission ( the current one lasted 300K+ )
-NP205 transfer case ( common parts between lots of ford and GM stuff )
-1410 driveshafts
-D60 front with kingpins, wheel bearings, and locking hubs
-D70 rear, full floater
-30 gallon tank gives it a 500+ mile range
-It will tow WAY more weight than I would want to.
-I have had 3000lbs in the bed without issue
-With the camper shell you can sleep in the back.

dragogt

Adventurer
I would throw a vote in for a truck like my 1992 Dodge.

-Mechanically injected turbo diesel that will run on lots of 'alternatives'
-Manual transmission ( the current one lasted 300K+ )
-NP205 transfer case ( common parts between lots of ford and GM stuff )
-1410 driveshafts
-D60 front with kingpins, wheel bearings, and locking hubs
-D70 rear, full floater
-30 gallon tank gives it a 500+ mile range
-It will tow WAY more weight than I would want to.
-I have had 3000lbs in the bed without issue
-With the camper shell you can sleep in the back.

This; And take your "pick" of the brands...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
It will be whatever I can keep running. With my current ride, what if I can't get the right tire for my rims? A tire that is too far from the same diameter as the opposite tire on the axle means that the 4x4 ECM says No-No to engaging 4WD.

You get the idea because the list is endless. I think practicing your auto mechanic skills and knowledge would be better. Google will be gone and what you don't know may be lost forever.

Other than that, I'd want a MRAP or the vehicle from Damnation Alley :elkgrin:

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
An older truck sans computer. For a gasser points and condenser ignition and carborated. For diesel, mechanical fuel injection, no computer, multifuel would be best. (perhaps a bobbed deuce?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier