Cleaning Water Cans.

Blain

Adventurer
I picked up 2 of the military 5 gallon water jugs. One of them smells like it may have had something other than water in it. I've hosed them both on and left out to sit in the sun and dry, but I know that's not enough.

Can anyone recommend any ways to properly clean these? Maybe I shouldn't trust the one can at all. Thanks

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Bleach and Baking Soda, diluted with water. Let sit overnight. Rinse very very well the next day. Should be clean and smell good after that. If not, repeat.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
mix a bucket with bleach and water then dump that in and shake it all up. i would avoid heavy concentrations of bleach and/or boiling water, that might damage the plastic lining.

are there any gas tank liner type products out there that are safe to use for water? you might jsut clean it out and reline the can.

I have a few cans that should get relined, just dont know what to do it with. an epoxy paint may work

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
mix a bucket with bleach and water then dump that in and shake it all up.

X2. I have cleaned/disinfected mine many times this way.

I used one to contain/transport gear lube from a smashed diff cover.

After using some 'Go-Jo' hand cleaner to degrease the inside, I pressure washed it, then disinfected with bleach/water mix.

Just like new again.

The nice thing with these cans is the large opening, it allows you to get a sponge and hand inside to clean them good.

Blain

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll try the bleach and water mix and see how they turn out. It is a good thing they have the large openings on them, I may have to get in there with a sponge and some cleaner first.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I use Efferdent tablets (yes, for cleaning dentures). Same thing I use on my camelback water pouches. Very effective on removing odd tastes and cheaper than the camelback tablets. YMMV with metal cans, I'm referring to my Scepter water cans.

frans

Adventurer
to remove the bleach layer, pour in a small amount of vinegar. It will cut the slippery bleach layer and leave your can clean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94