Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering Chile by plane from the US? VISA or just TAX

Default Entering Chile by plane from the US? VISA or just TAX

I'm asking and have not received a for sure answer. I'm planning a trip in Sept. I was told by some I need a tourist VISA and by others no VISA just pay the TAX in US dollars at the airport in Santiago?

Any help clarifying this would be great.

According to this document of the Chilean Foreign Relations Ministry, US citizens do not need Visa to enter Chile. Unless you are staying for more than 90 days.
    Just your Passport and pay at the airport.

http://www.minrel.gob.cl/prontus_min...8_abr_2011.doc
    JP
    2000 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.5lt , 4" OME lift kit, 35" Cooper STT, ARB bull bar, ARB roof rack, Safari Snorkel, IPF 900XS

Web : http://sites.google.com/site/jpsnissangupatrol/

what is your citizenship? If US or Canada.. NO VISA, either $100 or $50 tax.... when entering by land NO TAX

I paid $100 on entry. No visa
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

No Visa is needed, you pay the $100 only if you enter through Santiago

Last trip it was $140 by plane through Santiago.
    I'm heading back down in 3 weeks and I expect it to be the same.
    Nissan Turbo Diesel
    2007 BMW GSA
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Ute. Traded
    1994 Land Rover D1-sold
    2008 KTM 990 ADV-sold
    1972 Toyota LC FJ-40-sold
    1992 SWB RR Classic-sold
    2006 BMW GS1200-sold

Tax only and depending on the country you are from (passport) the tax covers multiple trips within a set timeframe. Australia was 6 mths and I think the USA was a year. Depends on what your country charges Chileans to visit.
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

Its a one time fee for the life of your passport. It was $100 when I got mine. When you come down the escalator into customs, it is a bit confusing. There is the typical customs line that most folks go into. If you haven't paid the $100, take an immediate left off the escalator and get in that line, otherwise you will wait in the customs line then be sent back to pay then start the hole line waiting process again.

I think I have 8 trips down there now on mine. I have to get a new passport this spring though so I have to pay the fee again when I go down again in August.

Also a little tip, you will have all sorts of official looking folks offer to assist you with your baggage, unless you want to pay them or tip them, decline their services. They are quite pushy. In the past they were allowed into the baggage claim area and it was really confusing with who was security and who was just trying to make a buck. Now they wait outside the exit of bag claim and offer you help there. Just an FYI.
    Kristian Saile
    UP Overland

Roam

Blog
    Life on the Road

VW Type 181 (Thing)
    Porsche 944
    FJ Cruiser
    Landcruiser FJ80
    Subaru WRX STI

Quote Originally Posted by upcruiser View Post
    Its a one time fee for the life of your passport. It was $100 when I got mine. When you come down the escalator into customs, it is a bit confusing. There is the typical customs line that most folks go into. If you haven't paid the $100, take an immediate left off the escalator and get in that line, otherwise you will wait in the customs line then be sent back to pay then start the hole line waiting process again.

I think I have 8 trips down there now on mine. I have to get a new passport this spring though so I have to pay the fee again when I go down again in August.

Also a little tip, you will have all sorts of official looking folks offer to assist you with your baggage, unless you want to pay them or tip them, decline their services. They are quite pushy. In the past they were allowed into the baggage claim area and it was really confusing with who was security and who was just trying to make a buck. Now they wait outside the exit of bag claim and offer you help there. Just an FYI.

Yeah I got all that Ive been down before. So I understand the lines and the crazy folks outside the sliding doors after baggage claim.

However you say its a ONE time fee for the life of the Passport? huh that I didn't know. However when I went down last spring it was $140 fee not $100.
    But if you say its a one time fee then I'm going straight to the immigration line. Basically its a sprint from the plane to that line. I was wondering why everyone was pretty much running.
    Nissan Turbo Diesel
    2007 BMW GSA
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Ute. Traded
    1994 Land Rover D1-sold
    2008 KTM 990 ADV-sold
    1972 Toyota LC FJ-40-sold
    1992 SWB RR Classic-sold
    2006 BMW GS1200-sold

I paid mine in 2004 sl it might be more now. Look in the back of your passport in the endorsement section. They should have stapled a piece of paper in it that says Republica De Chile Minesterio De Relaciones Exteriores. On the bottom it says valid for the life of the passport. If that is in there you are good. If not, thenyou have to pay the fee.
    Kristian Saile
    UP Overland

Roam

Blog
    Life on the Road

VW Type 181 (Thing)
    Porsche 944
    FJ Cruiser
    Landcruiser FJ80
    Subaru WRX STI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast