Entering Chile by plane from the US? VISA or just TAX

zolo

Explorer
I'm asking and have not received a for sure answer. I'm planning a trip in Sept. I was told by some I need a tourist VISA and by others no VISA just pay the TAX in US dollars at the airport in Santiago?

Any help clarifying this would be great.

zolo

Explorer
Last trip it was $140 by plane through Santiago.
I'm heading back down in 3 weeks and I expect it to be the same.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Tax only and depending on the country you are from (passport) the tax covers multiple trips within a set timeframe. Australia was 6 mths and I think the USA was a year. Depends on what your country charges Chileans to visit.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Its a one time fee for the life of your passport. It was $100 when I got mine. When you come down the escalator into customs, it is a bit confusing. There is the typical customs line that most folks go into. If you haven't paid the $100, take an immediate left off the escalator and get in that line, otherwise you will wait in the customs line then be sent back to pay then start the hole line waiting process again.

I think I have 8 trips down there now on mine. I have to get a new passport this spring though so I have to pay the fee again when I go down again in August.

Also a little tip, you will have all sorts of official looking folks offer to assist you with your baggage, unless you want to pay them or tip them, decline their services. They are quite pushy. In the past they were allowed into the baggage claim area and it was really confusing with who was security and who was just trying to make a buck. Now they wait outside the exit of bag claim and offer you help there. Just an FYI.

zolo

Explorer
Its a one time fee for the life of your passport. It was $100 when I got mine. When you come down the escalator into customs, it is a bit confusing. There is the typical customs line that most folks go into. If you haven't paid the $100, take an immediate left off the escalator and get in that line, otherwise you will wait in the customs line then be sent back to pay then start the hole line waiting process again.

I think I have 8 trips down there now on mine. I have to get a new passport this spring though so I have to pay the fee again when I go down again in August.

Also a little tip, you will have all sorts of official looking folks offer to assist you with your baggage, unless you want to pay them or tip them, decline their services. They are quite pushy. In the past they were allowed into the baggage claim area and it was really confusing with who was security and who was just trying to make a buck. Now they wait outside the exit of bag claim and offer you help there. Just an FYI.

Yeah I got all that Ive been down before. So I understand the lines and the crazy folks outside the sliding doors after baggage claim.

However you say its a ONE time fee for the life of the Passport? huh that I didn't know. However when I went down last spring it was $140 fee not $100.
But if you say its a one time fee then I'm going straight to the immigration line. Basically its a sprint from the plane to that line. I was wondering why everyone was pretty much running.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I paid mine in 2004 sl it might be more now. Look in the back of your passport in the endorsement section. They should have stapled a piece of paper in it that says Republica De Chile Minesterio De Relaciones Exteriores. On the bottom it says valid for the life of the passport. If that is in there you are good. If not, thenyou have to pay the fee.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
If you enter via overland, as we did on the trekoftheamericas' there still in NO charge....Peru to Chile

I understand that the resaprocity fee for entering chile is no longer in effect. So, you shouldn't have to pay anything for to enter. However, if you are doing some kind of standby flying, check the seat availability continually. With the new treaty/agreement between Chile and the States, more people are flying and I've heard that, Delta at least, uses most of their flights as embargo flights. This means seats can be empty, but cargo weight of the plane can knock you out of going. This happened to us when we went back to the states in Aug of this year (2014). So, be prepared to possibly not get on the plane for standby flights. Plus, more Chileans are coming to the states, so the planes are a bit fuller than they were a few years ago.

mastersryan

Adventurer
I understand that the resaprocity fee for entering chile is no longer in effect. So, you shouldn't have to pay anything for to enter. However, if you are doing some kind of standby flying, check the seat availability continually. With the new treaty/agreement between Chile and the States, more people are flying and I've heard that, Delta at least, uses most of their flights as embargo flights. This means seats can be empty, but cargo weight of the plane can knock you out of going. This happened to us when we went back to the states in Aug of this year (2014). So, be prepared to possibly not get on the plane for standby flights. Plus, more Chileans are coming to the states, so the planes are a bit fuller than they were a few years ago.

Good info thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste