Getting started with camping

Justin

Observer
:D
cruiseroutfit said:
Overnight camping IMHO is the hardest to plan for... when you are going for an extended period of time, you just take all your gear. But for a quick overnight trip, you don't want to waste more time loading/unloading.

I agree with you on this point. I began camping with my father as early as I can remember and he always brought more than he needed and although it can seem like a pain loading and unloading, or just deciding what to bring, we/I have always felt more comfortable having all of our gear with us regardless of the duration of our stay.

As it relates to the camping question...good question by the way...I have found that the more I go, the more I am able to pinpoint what I need and what I don't need. In reference to camping gear, go with some friends to learn the ropes and when you become addicted...because you will...don't be a shiester when it comes to spending coin on gear. There is a reason why it costs so much...because it will last a long time and it won't fail you when you're at the mercy of the elements. At my current rate, I should have REI garish a percentage of my wages considering how much money I drop there.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Here are a couple of sites and an Amazon link to the Boy Scout Fieldbook that may (or may not) provide a little help:

Family Camping

CampingTips.com

Boy Scout Fieldbook

Best bet is to get out there and go for it! :victory:

And if at all possible, make sure you choose to go out in good weather...at least until you are well seasoned! If you take kids out and they (and you) are miserable, stuck in a tent or car in the rain, you may have trouble later convincing everyone including yourself that it REALLY IS FUN!

:D

Ed

GeoRoss

Adventurer
Don't under estimate the power of testing your gear in your backyard (if you have one).

My daughters love to set up the tent in the backyard and for us to sleep there.

It is also a way to get used to your tent and how to set it up. You can also test it in the rain w/out dire consequences.

As others have said, you need to evaluate your needs. There are too many ways to skin this cat w/out more info on what your goals are.

Some advice though is to go out with other more experienced people. Borrow/rent gear first before you put money down on your own stuff. Keep in mind that opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. There is no single 'right' way to do things, just those that work for you.

Ross

vanguard

Adventurer
Update: My local target is having a clearance sale on camping gear right now. I have a friend that's a pretty experienced camper and he agreed to help me pick out some equipment. Sometimes at lunch we go to REI and he drools over everything from water bottles to stoves. :)

Anyway, I might pick up some basics if they get his approval. Maybe a coleman stove, water jugs, or even a sleeping bag. This one is marked down from $70 to $40. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...5?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007QQ510

To a newbie, the removable layer and 0 degree rating seem like nice features in a starter's 3 season bag. I'll look at tents too but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing they had met his standards.

Last edited:

ssagurit42

Having an experience in camping and it's a lots of fun to do if your far away from your home. But first to go anywhere you want little advice Safety First.

dzzz

....... But camping equipment has changed a lot since I was a kid.

No, it really hasn't. Performance type outdoor gear is lighter with better materials. But for car camping it's pretty much the same. If you could only provision from one place, Walmart would be a better choice than REI.

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
Wow, almost 6 years later. What a come back. :Wow1: Hope that you both have made some great camping stories to remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior