Got our Suburban and now the next step. Updated post #24

BPMOU

Observer
From what's above 33 in. high without modification or extra strain on steering seems the ticket.

So let's talk tire width. The stock factory rims are narrow and the tread width is 8 in. Narrow is not good in sand. Soooo It needs some width for sand float. Plenty of room in the rear but how wide up front without rubbing. I'd like to go to at least 10.5.

It also has an autoride rear suspension in the rear. So the rear height will remain constant regardless of load.

Just came across this thread. I am in the exact same boat. Just picked up a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 and autoride as well. I need to replace my shocks on mine and from my research the autoride feature on the 2500 model is a gimmick and the shocks are $300-$400 a piece to boot. That said. I am looking at how to remove the auto ride system from mine and go to Bilstein 5100s. Have you done any research into the suspension past the leveling kit?

goin camping

Explorer
Just came across this thread. I am in the exact same boat. Just picked up a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 and autoride as well. I need to replace my shocks on mine and from my research the autoride feature on the 2500 model is a gimmick and the shocks are $300-$400 a piece to boot. That said. I am looking at how to remove the auto ride system from mine and go to Bilstein 5100s. Have you done any research into the suspension past the leveling kit?

No, I figured when they eventually croak I'd add firestone airbags and regular shocks. Keep in mind that towing is big in this trucks future.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Congrats on the Suburban, they are nice rigs. If I had to do a GM NBS body style rig again, I would have gone ahead and gotten a 2500 version and been a bit ahead of the game as a platform for modification.

Everything I have done to my Tahoe can apply to your Suburban (link to my build thread is in the sig line) but for just getting out there, I would put some spacers on the rear coils (I run 2") and switch out the torsion bar keys with ones for an F150 and then crank the bars up to bring the rig to level. Using the F150 keys the bars should not end up being cranked to their limits, at least that has been my experience. So far, no additional wear problems though I do plan on adding the aforementioned idler arm mods and new tie rod ends just as a preventative. I am currently running Nitto Terra Grapplers in 295/70RT and really like them. They are almost exactly 33" when unloaded and air down great. I have driven the truck on the beaches of the Outer Banks a lot and never come close to getting stuck.

Also, with the factory front bumper, the plastic air dam can often get ripped off during mild off road driving. You may want to take it off and just leave the chrome there when you go into the Mojave. Your choices of aftermarket bumpers for the NBS series trucks are limited, the aftermarket product support is nowhere near as good as what Land Rover, Toyota, and Jeep gets.

My suggestion - get the tires and lift, add a second battery and run power for a fridge, and then go out and explore and learn what you may want to do for your rig.

BPMOU

Observer
No, I figured when they eventually croak I'd add firestone airbags and regular shocks. Keep in mind that towing is big in this trucks future.

I hear ya on the towing and read your intentions. Just keep in mind that any change to the shocks from the gm autoride shocks will require modifications or your dash will light up like a Christmas tree.

78Bronco

Explorer
Before you go switching tire sizes I would investigate your axle ratios. If you have 3.55's you may regret upsizing the tires and towing even with the big block. Hopefully it has the OEM tow package and a set of 4.11's then I forsee no issue with going to 33" tall tire.

goin camping

Explorer
Before you go switching tire sizes I would investigate your axle ratios. If you have 3.55's you may regret upsizing the tires and towing even with the big block. Hopefully it has the OEM tow package and a set of 4.11's then I forsee no issue with going to 33" tall tire.

OEM tow package is there and the axle ratio is 3.73.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Use GM upfitters guide

OEM tow package is there and the axle ratio is 3.73.

Somewhere on this site are links to GM upfitter guides, you will find tables for your trucks gear ratios and towing capacity. Big block and diesel usually have 3.73 or 4.10, when going larger w/tires you want to keep the drivetrain within the rpm range recommended by GM which will call for gear ratio change to compensate for larger diameter tires, then VSS needs to be corrected for those changes.

Anything less than than 3.73 like 3.42 would be best suited for people mover and probably not towing more than 5k with very little drag or 3k with lots of drag.

goin camping

Explorer
Update

I traded the street tires that came with the buRV to a friend for a set of 265x75 r16 B.F. Goodrich T/A's. The T/A's are about %75 worn but he needed new tires and it would allow me to get an idea about size and fit of these size tires.

The tires fit fine with no rubbing and more importantly I went camping over the weekend north of Barstow and played in the deep sand.

Traveling over blown sand the buRV only sank about an inch. It would sink a bit deeper over the crests of the mini dunes. In the settled silt type sand next to the Mojave river it sunk in about two inches but still but still pulled the buRV along just fine. Only once or twice did I lose traction but that was momentary and a little more pedal solved the problem.

It of course did fine on dirt roads and in the hard and rocky sections.

I expect new tires with %75 more tread would even do better. :sombrero:

As a side note. Had a blast camping out there and woke up in the middle of Sat. night to thunder, lightning and some rain. Very nice weekend.

Last edited:

goin camping

Explorer
Nothing of note. We've been using it for trailer towing and I've been camping out of it quite a bit and frankly it does great as is.

Repo503

Adventurer
I hear ya on the towing and read your intentions. Just keep in mind that any change to the shocks from the gm autoride shocks will require modifications or your dash will light up like a Christmas tree.

Thats nothing a resistor cant fix. Im running bilsteins on my 01 Yukon Denali with no dash light. Of course its just a rig for hauling my dogs around and the occasional home depot run now, so I didnt need bags.

goin camping

Explorer
Living in SoCal we are surrounded by steep grades. The Grapevine on I5, the I15 and Chiraco Pass out on the I 10. The kind of grades that have signs advising travelers to turn off the A/C so they don't overheat. You nearly always see overheated vehicles on the side of the road on those passes.

BuRV pulls the trailer at the speed limit with the A/C blasting up these mountains with no problem. The 8.1 is a dream in a tow vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94