Fly Fishing DC

Cpriver4

Observer
Any ideas on great spots close to Washington D.C. to fish? Willing to drive but would love to find spots that are really close to the city. Thanks!

flywgn

Explorer
...Willing to drive but would love to find spots that are really close to the city. Thanks!

I'm not sure how far you're willing to drive and what you consider "close to the city" but the upper Potomac river system has several trout streams. It's been a while since I wet a line in them but the Meadowhouse and Tuscarora creeks produced some nice trout for me. Hedgeville and Martinsburg would be the nearby towns to reference.

In that same area you can reach some streams of the Shenandoah River system also. These are all small trout streams and, as I mentioned, it's been several years since I fished them.

If you wanted to drive a bit farther then there are some respectable streams in PA and VA within a few hours of D.C.

If you enjoy saltwater fly-fishing, then you have good striped-bass and other species over on the MD shores. There are several charter outfits operating in the Bay.

Allen R

Cpriver4

Observer
That's actually what inspired that post. I grew up on a small river in SW Virginia mainly fishing for smallies. However, next May I am spending a week in Baja, Mexico fishing with my father-in-law for Rooster fish. He's somewhat of a flyfishing guru and I want to practice and get my skills up to par for next summer.

He's actually getting a new 10w rod for me and has a reel and line. And I guess the plan is to send it to me. So I want to wet a line as much as possible before our trip.

Viggen

Just here...
Above Great Falls is pretty popular. Stop by Urban Angler in Arlington and they can clue you in to everything. Sounds like youve got a pretty killer trip coming up.

Cpriver4

Observer
Pretty excited about the trip. After I purposed to his daughter all he had to say was, "Get ready for some awesome international fishing!"

I will stop by Urban Angler and see what they have to say.

Viggen

Just here...
Thats awesome. I spent a week fly fishing out in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. It ruined everything for me around here. So much so, I left all the gear out there at my sisters cabin. Im not too sure how far out but a couple friends of mine go out that way all the time. Ive never tagged along with them so Im not too sure. The guys at UA can point you in the right direction.

Cpriver4

Observer
Actually heading to Colorado on the 10th for a week. Going to try and do some fishing out there while we're visiting.

Cpriver4

Observer
Headed to SW VA this weekend to fish for some smallies but might make the trip to the Jackson river for some trout.

constructeur

Adventurer
. However, next May I am spending a week in Baja, Mexico fishing with my father-in-law for Rooster fish. He's somewhat of a flyfishing guru and I want to practice and get my skills up to par for next summer.

What areas or resort will you be fishing out of?

You might want to check out the thread I have about our Baja trip. It wasn't epic, as it was winter, but I got on fish and had an outstanding time. Most of the flies I posted were tied by a pal that used to guide down there with Jay Murakoshi ('The dude' of Baja on the fly). The one in particular you may like would be the 12" yellow and white creature, as it's his favorite Rooster fly when fishing the beaches or inshore.

If you guys end up in the La Paz or Cabo area LMK as I can put you in touch with an exceptional guide for a reasonable price. I know, everyone down there seems to 'have a guy' but Ramon is a top notch fella that speaks great English, is fishy, and runs a nicely maintained boat for less than most guys seem to pay for a dude that speaks no English and has you fishing out of a death trap :sombrero:

Best-
Terry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles