Need a good jockey wheel

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The jockey wheel that came on my Little Guy did this all the time:
Click the picture for video.

The trailer is back at the factory and they're trying their best to remedy the problems. They don't know what jockey wheel will work better though.

Any thoughts as to where to source something that will track better, get out of the way, and fit right?

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Bill,
Those are terrible- had one on my first trailer and it was awful; did exactly the same thing.
Why don't you use one of the wheels that come on my Jurgens XT140's? No problem with fitting as it goes UP to get out of the way; tracks extremely well, and can be completely removed in 10 seconds for off-roading? I can get one for you.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 67

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hi Bill,
Those are terrible- had one on my first trailer and it was awful; did exactly the same thing.
Why don't you use one of the wheels that come on my Jurgens XT140's? No problem with fitting as it goes UP to get out of the way; tracks extremely well, and can be completely removed in 10 seconds for off-roading? I can get one for you.
Thanks, Rou. That's very similar (the same maybe?) as what was on my Conqueror.

How much do they run?

Those are some nice looking wheels, Dendy. Have you used any of them?

broken1

Observer
I've bought these:
http://www.easternmarine.com/FULTON-1500-lb-Capacity-Dual-Wheel-Marine-Trailer-Tongue-Jack-XPD15L/
from them and they worked well. I used them on a pretty huge military satellite dish trailer. I feel the dual wheel setups turn better. I suspect that it has something to do with the point of rotation being between 2 rotating wheels allowing them to rotate counter to each other as they rotate around the pivot point as opposed to a single wheel which must overcome all traction available at the wheel in that drilling /grinding action that goes on with a single... I know nothing so feel free to ignore those observations...

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Bill, the wheel you have doesn't have a very large fulcrum from the pivot point to the center of the wheel. If you look at the one Bunduguy is using the long fulcrum allows for ease of turning.

The other issue is that the wheel is very narrow which increases the psi on it, the wheel creating resistance to the wheel turning in the direction you are pushing the trailer.

If you went with a wider wheel it would help a lot by reducing the psi on the wheel.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Bill, the wheel you have doesn't have a very large fulcrum from the pivot point to the center of the wheel. If you look at the one Bunduguy is using the long fulcrum allows for ease of turning.

The other issue is that the wheel is very narrow which increases the psi on it, the wheel creating resistance to the wheel turning in the direction you are pushing the trailer.

If you went with a wider wheel it would help a lot by reducing the psi on the wheel.
That's exactly it. The fulcrum allows the swiveling to be accomplished, which in turn aids in the turning, especially with resistance underneath. The only thing better, is a pneumatic wheel on a long fulcrum. But finding one to fit is tough.

Bill I'll look into the price for an extra one and we'll get it for you.
anyone else want one while we're at it?
Bill, probably identical if not exactly the same one as the Conquerer's.

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I use, and have had very good luck with something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200463057_200463057

603641_lg.jpg

with a wheel bolted onto the the bottom plate like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_40516_40516

18909_lg.jpg

The prices have gone up since I bought them last, but they work great. You can buy an extra leg and use it instead of the wheel if you need better stability.

Don

-

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That's exactly it. The fulcrum allows the swiveling to be accomplished, which in turn aids in the turning, especially with resistance underneath. The only thing better, is a pneumatic wheel on a long fulcrum. But finding one to fit is tough.

Bill I'll look into the price for an extra one and we'll get it for you.
anyone else want one while we're at it?
Bill, probably identical if not exactly the same one as the Conquerer's.
Oh, don't order me one...
...I emailed a link to this thread to Scott at Little Guy; he's interested in product improvement and is going to put something on that works. Maybe he'll buy one from you? or Martyn?
He did thank me for the link.

Bunduguy's site: http://www.bundugear.com/
Martyn's site: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

You guys are both awesome, btw; thanks.
You're both invited to Country Fried Weekend in January, of course. Hopefully Rou will bake his beer bread again...:drool:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I can't see for sure, but probably the biggest problem is a really crappy bearing, if any at all, between the wheel and the jack tube.
Some scaffolding casters have good bearings in them and support a lot of weight.
The main thing to look for though is a good bearing. Some can even be lubed.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The 300 pound weight rating of the pneumatic tires is a bit light. I have to jump on the tongue at times to get to the roof of the trailer and that would put the weight on the tire well over 600 pounds.

those scaffold wheels that Thane linked look tough. Let's see what Little Guy picks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier