New trailer build, looking for axle placement advice and any gotcha's

Woods

Explorer
Starting with this (pic below). I know how I'll re-do the suspension, but I've got some basic questions.

If there's a do's and don'ts thread somewhere, maybe someone could point me in that direction.

I'll be installing a 3500 lbs. axle. Would do lighter, but I need a 5 on 5 hub to match my Jeep. Will run 35" tires.

Trailer deck is 4' X 6'. Tongue length is 31".

Anybody have an axle placement / tongue weight formula?

Anything that I should be concerned about, that most first timers screw up?

s1000004.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Where did you get those wheels and tires? And they do make a 2k axle in a 5 lug, I have one under one of my trailers. You could probably even just swap the hubs out to a 5 lug on your current axle. As far as axle placement, that mostly depends on what you plan to haul and where it's loaded on the trailer.

Woods

Explorer
The wheels and tires are true beadlocks from a UTV. They are 26" tires and they are for sale.

I need an axle with a 5 on 5 lug pattern. 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5 are common and these size hubs are easily found, for the spindle on a 2K lb. axle. I've only found 5 on 5's for 3500 lb. axles. If anybody knows of a 5 on 5 hub for a 2K lbs. axle, I'd really like to know about it.

The trailer currently weighs 340 lbs. with 80 lbs. of it on the tongue.

I plan to have a finished weight of 500 lbs. There will be about 300 lbs. of fixed weight and about 200 lbs. of packed gear (adjustable weight).

So if I have 1,000 lbs. total, how much tongue weight should I shoot for?

Is there anything else that I need to be watching out for?

Where did you get those wheels and tires? And they do make a 2k axle in a 5 lug, I have one under one of my trailers. You could probably even just swap the hubs out to a 5 lug on your current axle. As far as axle placement, that mostly depends on what you plan to haul and where it's loaded on the trailer.

tassie tiger

Hey

Here in oz we work on the std formula of situating the axle 1/2" rear of centre for every foot of body length.

AND

A towball weight of 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight. So if the trailer weighs 1000kg then the weight at the hitch should be between 100 to 150kg. Not sure what that is in crazy imperial measurements. ;)

Woods

Explorer
Body length of the tow vehicle?, total trailer length" or platform length of the trailer?

So you guys use imperial length and metric weight? Guess that's what happens when you walk around all up side down :ylsmoke:

I appreciate your input. As far as I'm concerned, the world looks to Oz for expedition trailer design.

conversion of pounds to kilos for my trailer:

Total loaded weight: 450 kilos
Trailer weight with fixed gear: 360 kilos
Packed Gear (movable): 90 kilos

Hey

Here in oz we work on the std formula of situating the axle 1/2" rear of centre for every foot of body length.

AND

A towball weight of 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight. So if the trailer weighs 1000kg then the weight at the hitch should be between 100 to 150kg. Not sure what that is in crazy imperial measurements. ;)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
One of my trailers has roughly 35lbs of tongue weight "empty" but increases to about 75 when I have it loaded, makes it perfect for moving it around the driveway.

Woods

Explorer
Looks like I can get 5 on 5 to 5 on 5.5 adapters. This will allow me to run the 2K lb. axle.

Woods

Explorer
I've determined that I need to lengthen the trailer tongue. 31" is too short to work with my Jeep tailgate. Any suggestions on how long to make the tongue?

tassie tiger

Body length of the tow vehicle?, total trailer length" or platform length of the trailer?

So you guys use imperial length and metric weight? Guess that's what happens when you walk around all up side down :ylsmoke:

I appreciate your input. As far as I'm concerned, the world looks to Oz for expedition trailer design.

conversion of pounds to kilos for my trailer:

Total loaded weight: 450 kilos
Trailer weight with fixed gear: 360 kilos
Packed Gear (movable): 90 kilos

Yep she's a crazy place. We went metric in 1966 but the two still get mixed. Back in the 80's some of our local built vehicles had metric and imperial bolts.....great fun trying to get the right spanner.

Anyways, the formula works on the actual box trailer section of the trailer and does not include the drawbar. I think this is because the drawbars are normally 1500mm long as std. I think 1500 is about six pounds long ;)

cheers

I am off to catch a croc. :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yep she's a crazy place. We went metric in 1966 but the two still get mixed. Back in the 80's some of our local built vehicles had metric and imperial bolts.....great fun trying to get the right spanner.

Anyways, the formula works on the actual box trailer section of the trailer and does not include the drawbar. I think this is because the drawbars are normally 1500mm long as std. I think 1500 is about six pounds long ;)

cheers

Ha, half my Jeep is metric and half is imperial/standard.

Woods

Explorer
A lot of good stuff. And funny too, because I know Aussies don't have a sense of humor :Wow1:. Our government is also trying to make humor illegal.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles